SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    David
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I like when sites have links that open supplemental information or help info in new windows. It lets me continue what I was doing much quicker.

David Levin

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think that if you are going to shoot someone off into another site, you should open it in a new window. I myself, hate being sent to a new site and having to hit back button 15 times to get back to the original site - that I may or may not have been done surfing on.

I do, however, like the idea of somehow warning them that the link will take them to a new window, because some people have there browser windows all the way open and when a new window jumps right over it, they get completly confused.

Elina
    well i like "new windows" ok? Almost every single link I click, I open in a new window, myself.
    I like switching through different windows, without clicking the back button, which closes the present window.
    It's way easier than having to search through your previously used links (using backspace I mean!) .. so i didn't like this essay..
    hmm..

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elina
    well i like "new windows" ok? Almost every single link I click, I open in a new window, myself.
    I like switching through different windows, without clicking the back button, which closes the present window.
    It's way easier than having to search through your previously used links (using backspace I mean!) .. so i didn't like this essay..
    hmm..
    if you like it, then you can set up your browser to do that automatically. don't force your preference onto others
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    if you like it, then you can set up your browser to do that automatically. don't force your preference onto others
    This works just as well the other way.
    "If you don't like new windows, set your browser to ignore open in new window."

Don't get me wrong, I think the balance is well in favor of not including markup that aims to make a browser open links in a new window. But browser configuration works both ways and there is no "force" about it.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Ben
    I I am in Browser window 'A', and click on a link that opens in a new window, why doesn't the 'new' windo have some sort of 'indicator' that would let the user know it was not the root window...then when he/she was um-teen links down in the new window and wanted to exit they would just 'kill' the window? But, no....I end up using the Back Button 43 times only to get to the 'nor more Bacl' condition then kill the window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArticleBot
    This is an article discussion thread for discussing the SitePoint article, "Beware of Opening Links in a New Window"
    How ironic that the SitePoint forums default still tries to open the PMs in a new window.
    Chris Blackwell - my blog and ramblings
    Comicville - Daily News and Comic Reviews

"web development is what I love...so that's what I do"

cheryl
    I really dislike the fact when you are browsing thru and you hit a link - no new window - and the new site will not allow you to return to the original site. Nothing wrong with opening up a new window as long as you let the user know.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening a new browser window disrespects the desires of your users. If they want a new window, they'll ask for one. Don't force a new window upon users unless there's a very good reason to do so.
    sorry but thats crap

... yes anyone reading this forum will know about shift click or right click for options

but the VAST majority arent even aware of this, let alone use it knowingly.

so by not using new windows for some things, e.g. taking a quick peek at another site refered to in a post

you can basically kiss your visitor good bye, if they found u by chance the chances are they wont find u again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    endeed great article
    never thought of it in this way

Endre
    I think the most important reason to NOT use new window links is not even mentioned.
    Imagine if all websites acted like this, surfing the web would be a horrible ordeal. Keeping links in one windows is what the web is all about, new windows is just one step away from pop-ups, and I expect more and more programs to start blocking new-window links in the future. Firefox already has a succesfull extension that prevents this.

George
    Hmm I agree to an extent.
    Having said that... did anyone click on the "# The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks" link at the bottom of the article? Lol contradicted the whole article!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder when people will learn that the view of the author doesn't necessarily have to resemble the view of the people behind Sitepoint, hence those CONTRADICTIONS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it is...

1) if the author decides links should open in a new window there's nothing the viewer can do to open it in the current window unless they copy the link location and paste it into the address bar.

2) If the author sets links to open in the current window then the viewer can choose to open it in that window or in a new window.

Whether or not they know what to do to get a new window the second option is better simply because its not restrictive on the whole and gives a choice. If you think people need to know how to open a new window for a link then explain it on the site or give them a javascript option to open links in x window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it so hard for you people to read the thread and then give a reply to specific posts that you either agree or disagree with? Otherwise people will still be here after 5 years saying how good or bad opening links in new windows is but there will never be a conclusive answer because you are unable to actually continue the discussion.
    Everyone chipping in with their own opinion instead of answering to previous posts is NOT A DISCUSSION.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icheb
    Is it so hard for you people to read the thread and then give a reply to specific posts that you either agree or disagree with? Otherwise people will still be here after 5 years saying how good or bad opening links in new windows is but there will never be a conclusive answer because you are unable to actually continue the discussion.
    Everyone chipping in with their own opinion instead of answering to previous posts is NOT A DISCUSSION.
    well, that's the problem with the way sitepoint links threads as comments directly from article pages. somebody reads the article and decides to use the comment form, giving their opinion without even reading (or often even without being aware of) the rest of the thread...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but...welcome to the internet. Is it so hard to ignore a thread you are no longer interested in?

(I've asked that a lot on many forums so apparently the answer is yes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a nice but miserably failed attempt at an arrogant and witty response. Now read my post again.

nonono
    Opening in a new window is a good idea. It's easier to switch back to the original window than to go through many back buttons... so go and toot you're horn all you want but your are wrong. Find a scientific reason why I shouldn't use open in new window... wait... you won't! So let's use LOGIC which says it is easier to surf another site while keeping your original site open so you can go back immediately without plodding through back buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chose carefully Same or New window, then let User change easily

Opening in same or new window depends on the nature and subject of parent and child windows. When webmaster's choice unpleases him, User can already force it his way:
    • <Shift><Click> forces New Window
    • <Ctrl><Click> forces New Tab
    • Draging link to Address Bar forces the target window, whether same or new
    However those 3 changes are more time-consuming than simple-click, hence should remain rare, which implies Webmaster is very carefull at:
    1. chosing quite appropriately, for each link, if it opens in Same or New
    2. making things happen as expected from User
    3. when doubt, notify User as clearly as possible (with text or icons or else)
    For the 3rd point, W3C should define some ways to make clear if a link will by default (i.e. on simple-click) open in Same or New window; for instance complete the standardized colors and attributes (Link, Active link, Visited link could be completed with "New window link").

(BTW I used to highly appreciate Jakob Nielsen and to often link his pages - until he started a few years ago to join in some instances the advocates of complication and of limitation of User's freedom and power).

Versailles, Sun 4 Feb 2007 23:38:15 +0100

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article is good, I really enjoyed reading the great ideas contained within the text.

bob
    "Find a scientific reason why I shouldn't use open in new window... wait... you won't!"

- Except in XHTML 1.1 Strict it's none compliant code to open in a new window. There is no "target" attribute for links. I hope that'd be scientific enough to get you out of your bad habits of forcing windows on users. Its akin to the developer going "right Im going to use more of your system resources for using my site". Ignorance doesn't make you correct, I'll agree with the accessibility groups and with the author - DO NOT force new browser windows on users.

Rachita
    when i open a link in new window, the font of my current page change

Sam Freedom
    I disagree. I wish you had done some testing to back this up. We all know that people will say ANYTHING around the water cooler but, in reality, when confronted with real conditions, they can, and often do, act quite differently.

Just like people SAY they hate pop-ups and yet we find that not only are sales pages without them giving up an increase in sales but also, they convert quite well!

Everyone I know laughs when I say that web surfers tend to have the attention spans of gerbils. Opening something in a new window allows people to view it AND, if they find it interesting, follow it along for as long as they want without losing the original page. I think that's a SERVICE.

And only in theory do people complain about such things.

Leond
    I agree with your comments on how to handle the 'open link in a new window' issue but I disagree with your 5 reasons why a link shouldn't open in a new window.

1. Yes, a page should warn that a new window will open but surfing the web is full of surprises and a window opening when you click a link is not beyond expectation. Poor navigation design on a website is a worse shock.

2. Resets the back button? In my experience each window has it's own back button 'history'. The new window will obviously not have a pervious page.

3. Minor surprise maybe but not disorientation. Especially if new windows are set on the PC to open as a small window.

4. I don't think it's disrespect. The web designer is designing an experience. New windows may not be to your liking but blaring thrash metal music on a myspace page is not mine. The designer rules.

5. I hate tab browsing. It's more intuitive to click on an icon in the toolbar and ALT-Tab allows you to easily cycle through the windows.

Leon