User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichaels
    Whoops, yeah, forgot the CA->US conversion. Comes out to US $2.32/gallon. Probably cheaper than in California.
    Only $1.87 for the cheap stuff in California right now. $2.15-$2.30 for the expensive stuff and you can pump your own gas.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pump your own gas, that sounds a bit like letting one rip!!! lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pay anywhere between $1.80 and $2.00 for the 93 octane supreme gas for my BMW. Doesn't seem too bad considering it was up to $2.30 last summer, I believe, as well as what people pay in Europe and other parts of the world.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just droped down to about 1.99 a gallon here
    Discusslife.com - Discuss life in General
    PC User Forum - Your one stop for computer knowledge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $ 0.85 per litre

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2.03 in Buffalo, NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from setting the record for high petrol prices ($6.53 per gallon, assuming my maths is correct) in England we seem to have cracked the job of trying to get everybody to stop using public transport by pricing services out of reach.

I went from Leigh on Sea (where I live) to Chippenham, which is a little town on the other side of London, out in the middle of nowhere, and my cheap train ticket cost US$87. You could find yourself paying $196 for the same trip if you're not coming home the same day, or more still if you want to go first class (with almost empty first class carriages often taking up a third of the train, another gripe).

You could probably charter a jet from wherever you are in the world and get to Chippenham, and still have enough money left over to buy a boiled Chippenese sproutburger (a local delicacy) compared to the price I have to pay to get there.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Just starting to make money... Sparta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2.33 for regular here in the Bay Area.

Its funy, though. This is where all the gas is filtered and made car-ready. Yet our prices are higher than farther away.
    Ad spots available on 750k/m site. PM for info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venezuela? 14 cents per gallon.
    UK? $5.64/gallon

Gas prices around the world
    Think you pay a lot for gas? Perhaps you'd prefer to live in Venezuela.

Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. A few countries, like Venezuela have prices that are far lower.

Gas pains The main driver of price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In Venezuela, on the other hand, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated May, 2004.
    http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...ces/price.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta
    Its funy, though. This is where all the gas is filtered and made car-ready. Yet our prices are higher than farther away.
    Actually you will see that there are more refineries in the Southern California and the Bakersfield area than there are in Northern California.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/refinery_locations.html

I happen to live halfway between Bakersfield and Los Angeles.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nearly $1.50 a litre here in the UK!

Fuel always goes up, comes down a little bit, then always goes up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    Actually you will see that there are more refineries in the Southern California and the Bakersfield area than there are in Northern California.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/refinery_locations.html

I happen to live halfway between Bakersfield and Los Angeles.
    Bakersfield?

On the south side of Houston it's pretty much refinery sprawl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bakersfield is a city in California. Pretty much all oil refineries and cotton fields. Was only interested in California Refineries in my post though because of the Bay Area comment.

Not really sure if Houston's gasoline is legal in California since there are additional standards here over what the Federal Government requires.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I know where Bakersfield is - been through there a few times myself. Just wasn't aware they had refineries - seems pretty far from the ocean and barge traffic (and I don't think I've ever heard of much oil/gas being drilled in California).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zivo
    Ah, for the love of public transportation...
    Public transportation is just as expensive for me, if not more expensive. If I bought a monthly pass to take the train to work it would cost me $145. I only spend $25-30/week on gas for my car right now. I'm also lucky in that I live within walking distance from the train station and my workplace is also walking distance from a train stop. Our train fares will also be going up in March due to the transit authority's budget troubles. Even after all that though, I'm still considering using the train more than my car. Not worrying about traffic for 90 minutes every day is almost worth the premium .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Public transportation is just as expensive for me, if not more expensive. If I bought a monthly pass to take the train to work it would cost me $145. I only spend $25-30/week on gas for my car right now. I'm also lucky in that I live within walking distance from the train station and my workplace is also walking distance from a train stop. Our train fares will also be going up in March due to the transit authority's budget troubles. Even after all that though, I'm still considering using the train more than my car. Not worrying about traffic for 90 minutes every day is almost worth the premium .
    Don't you pay for parking? That's usually a killer, unless your employer provides it.

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man alot of you guys have it rough. Where I'm from, gas is pretty cheap,...public trasportation can get u anywhere quick for a couple bucks, very few places actually charge for parking, and our traffic is good enough that you don't have to decide between public or personal transportation if you dont want to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't you pay for parking? That's usually a killer, unless your employer provides it.
    Nope. Parking is free at work (I work out in the 'burbs and live in the city, I'm a reverse commuter which is pretty nice).

I do know where you're coming from though. When I lived in Orlando I had to pay for parking for school and work, in addition to highway tolls. I was spending about $150/month on transportation that had nothing to do with gas or car payments/maintenance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I know where Bakersfield is - been through there a few times myself. Just wasn't aware they had refineries - seems pretty far from the ocean and barge traffic (and I don't think I've ever heard of much oil/gas being drilled in California).
    California is the third largest oil producing state in the country and fourth largest region when Federal Offshore Production is figured in. Hundreds of wells in the Bakersfield area, which accounts for the refineries. You can also see wells in the mountains above Los Angeles and throughout Los Angeles itself. The wells also dot along the entire length of the state parellel to Interstate 5. According to the California Government, 661 Million barrels are processed in the state with 48% being from the state itself and the rest divided between Alasken reserves and foreign oil.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/oil/
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the additional standards for gas in California? Any additives? The price usually seems to be higher than the rest of the country (at least it was this last summer).

I don't think I've heard of any other states that require those emission-capturing nozzles or the additional emissions equipment in cars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of the specifics but one thing I know is it has to be MTBE free, which is commonly added to most other Gasoline for anti-smog efforts, so other further refinements are required to replace those effects. We also have to pay for refinery improvements to reduce their pollution ratio as well.

Personally, I am all for it and wish greater variety of electric and hybrid vehicles were available. I don't mind paying a little more to reduce pollution. At least if there is no pollution, my grandchildren will be able to see eagles, hawks and condors flying in the skies.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myself, I'm just sick of paying for gas - it's money down the drain. The upcoming hybrids look promising - like the new Accord hybrid. But it's $30K, and no standard transmission option.

It doesn't sound like there's going to be radical shift from gas to electric, fuel-cell, or hydrogen anytime soon, according to this article:
    Warning: The Hydrogen Economy May Be More Distant Than It Appears
    Nine myths and misconceptions, and the truth about why hydrogen-powered cars arenít just around the corner

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I freaked out the first time someone tried to pump my gas for me. I was like "what are you doing?!" I guess us West Virginians aren't used to such luxury I heard in some states, its against the law to pump your own gas? Anyhow its about $1.87/gal here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas is about 175 Yen per litre here in Japan.

175 yen = $1.71 usd.

$1.71 * 3.7854118 = $6.47

The thing is, public transportation in this country is absolutely increadible.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, fuel is so CHEAP in the united states!

Yesterday I paid 105 cents per litre. That is equivalent to US$3.18 per gallon.

That's a little higher than usual. It's usually around 98 cents per litre, which is about US$2.97 per gallon.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff