User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payment for non US residents

hello every one
    I am living in Egypt , and i am doing work with some software companies in USA , i need to get paid , and they give me 2 options

1)US check
    2)Wire transfer

i want to know what is the US check , can it be used in Egyptian banks ?
    Should be issued from the same bank i use here but in the US branch ?
    Can any bank deal with them here , no matter the bank that issued them in USA ?

about the wire transfer option , i would like to know , if my local currency acount can accept USD transfers given the SWIFT code .
    or should i open a USD account in Egypt

thanks to all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by princeofegypt
    hello every one
    I am living in Egypt , and i am doing work with some software companies in USA , i need to get paid , and they give me 2 options

1)US check
    2)Wire transfer

i want to know what is the US check , can it be used in Egyptian banks ?
    Should be issued from the same bank i use here but in the US branch ?
    Can any bank deal with them here , no matter the bank that issued them in USA ?

about the wire transfer option , i would like to know , if my local currency acount can accept USD transfers given the SWIFT code .
    or should i open a USD account in Egypt

thanks to all
    See paypal as an option. If you have a credit card they can put the money on your PayPal and there, you put it on your credit card.
    If you don't have a credit card, you can go to your bank and ask for a Debt Card (or Check Card). SEE THAT they have one with the VISA or MasterCard Logo, and ask if it can be used for this propose (paypal, deposit money from outside egipt)

Im from Argentina and currently, im doing that

Contact me on MSN (see my profile)
    CLEAR.YOUR.MIND weblog. Usability and User Centered Design
    You're a developer? then you're going to love this blog
    Improve your visitors experience TODAY!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello
    thanks a lot for replying . Egypt is not supported in paypal . They dont even credit cards that come from Egypt banks .
    I depend on western union all the time now , fast , easy , 24X7 , and too expensive also .
    I was trying to find a solution that is less expensive then WU .
    Havent you tried Wire at all ? Or Us checks ?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, the best thing that you can do is go talk to your bank, they will be able to give you the details on the different options that you asked about and also tell you if they would be able to accept/support them. A US Check is just a regular check issued by a person holding an checking account in the US with a US Bank. I know I have personally had some troubles sending US Checks over seas.

Again, talk to your bank and see if they will accept them. They should be able to work with wire transfers as just about all countries do and it is one of the most common ways to transfer money from country to country besides WU.

good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot proGFX
    When you are in USA , and you do wire transfer , what information do you need from him .
    1)Bank account number
    2)Swift
    3)Full name

would that be enough ?
    i would like to know , does any local account work , or must be a USD account , if you have dealed with that before .

thanks a lot .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As proGFX said you need to talk to YOUR bank and see how they handle it. He can't tell you how your bank does something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

hello
    thanks a lot for replying . Egypt is not supported in paypal . They dont even credit cards that come from Egypt banks .
    I depend on western union all the time now , fast , easy , 24X7 , and too expensive also .

thanks
    PayPal is the best solution. Argentina is not supported too by paypal, but if you debt card or credit card CAN be used internationally, you may use paypal for withdraw your money.

But as everyone say: ASK YOUR BANK first, and then look for a solution its always the best way. You don't have to go there if you don't want to. Just pick up the phone and make the call, ask them and that's it.

Ask if you can withdraw money that somebody deposit in your debit card from outside Egypt and then tell me what they told you.

You'll see that is not so hard if you are more creative in the money management matters too

Regards!
    PS. Why do you not contact me by MSN? Perhaps why can chat about things. We are both offshore people
    CLEAR.YOUR.MIND weblog. Usability and User Centered Design
    You're a developer? then you're going to love this blog
    Improve your visitors experience TODAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello

thanks
    again and like everyone else, talk with your bank. they will give you the solutions you are searching for. as well, i have not done a wire transfer personally, so i can not answer your questions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thank you all , i will contact the bank again , i just never get someone to talk to me for a whlile as they are always busy with 100 clients ,and they give you any answers just to get rid of you .
    One of them told me you have to open USD account for this to work , i asked in another bank and told me any account will work . I do not want to open USD account cause the minimum balance is not small .

thanks again to every one

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

that would be nice but i dont have your msn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in AUstralia, and when I get US checks from google, my bank can put it through, converting the currency automatically.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hulksjedi
    PayPal is the best solution. Argentina is not supported too by paypal, but if you debt card or credit card CAN be used internationally, you may use paypal for withdraw your money.

But as everyone say: ASK YOUR BANK first, and then look for a solution its always the best way. You don't have to go there if you don't want to. Just pick up the phone and make the call, ask them and that's it.

Ask if you can withdraw money that somebody deposit in your debit card from outside Egypt and then tell me what they told you.

You'll see that is not so hard if you are more creative in the money management matters too

Regards!
    PS. Why do you not contact me by MSN? Perhaps why can chat about things. We are both offshore people
    I never knew that you can add funds to your international credit card from PayPal... can you explain how this is done?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello princeofegypt,.
    I'm Egyptian too, I'm doing some trades on eBay, and I'm facing same problem as PayPal is the most commen payment method in there, which what u know is not supported in Egypt , I'm using ccnow.com , and its not the easeist method for customers to use (and for me to manage as well), I would very much rather if there is a way I can use PayPal.
    If you got some better method to get paid "or pay", I'd appreciate you contacting me, My MSN: ahmed.elmokaddem@gmail.com

PS. Hulksjedi , I treid to contact you via MSN, but your contact is not listed in your profile, Here there was mine, If you would like to add me, looking forward to talk with you.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good alternative for paypal is www.moneybookers.com

It works for the people in Sitepoint contest area, and the comissions are very small.

I have had the same problem in the past, and I used bank money transfer, but it was just too expensive, as well as WU. Moneybookers seem to be the solution

Regards,
    Kosta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I receive checks monthly. My bank takes a comission of $5 / check (for a value of less than $5000), so I'm very satisfied. One month after I give them the check, I withdraw the money.

My country is also banned from PayPal, so an alternative would be great. I'll check moneybookers.com.

Which one is the next, most popular, online payment method, after PayPal? StormPay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just remembered that Template Monster uses Money Bookers, too . Just an example.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also "offshore", Croatia and am looking for an alternative to PayPal..

I thought of going with stormpay, actually mailing them to be sure about the support for Croatia and how things would go, but before i take any action i would also like some clarification on that using PayPal to withdraw money even if you're not in one of the supported countries? How? Is it sure and secure?
    Also, what would i specify as the country when i register with paypal, since i cannot specify Croatia, US?

Also, i saw this yet unanswered thread about stormpay not being as good option: StormPay, not as stormy as you might think...

I'm wondering what do you say to that and what do you generally think of stormpay?

Also, i'll take a peak at MoneyBookers. It's new guys i guess.

Thank you
    Daniel
    Last edited by Xeliber; Mar 19, 2005 at 16:38.