SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is a web service

Hey,

Seems to be the thing to do at the moment. I was under the impression a web service is something structured in XML to be accessed through applications or web applications in some manner or another.

Can anyone tell me what exactly a webservice is and how they implemented one?
    Back Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one?
    Back Again

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web services are Web-based enterprise applications that use open, XML-based standards and transport protocols to exchange data with calling clients. Usually a web service uses WSDL (Web Service Description Language) to define its parameters and usage.

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    Web services are Web-based enterprise applications that use open, XML-based standards and transport protocols to exchange data with calling clients. Usually a web service uses WSDL (Web Service Description Language) to define its parameters and usage.
    Sorry to be picky, but why are "WebServices Web-based enterprise applications"? I'm never comfortable with the loose definition that gets applied to the word 'enterprise'.

Anyway for a more in depth definition have a look at wikipedia also Kevin Yank describes Web Services in his article "Web Services Demystified".

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-J2000
    Sorry to be picky, but why are "WebServices Web-based enterprise applications"? I'm never comfortable with the loose definition that gets applied to the word 'enterprise'.

Anyway for a more in depth definition have a look at wikipedia also Kevin Yank describes Web Services in his article "Web Services Demystified".
    I was just quoting Sun's interpretation of a web service. To be fair web services are considered enterprise because they follow the three and four tier architectures. Then again, people can argue that RSS and the like are web services when in fact there are no methods being called, just data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe the little diagram helped a lot.

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliShaver
    Hehe the little diagram helped a lot.
    Maybe this one will help too

Off Topic:

Hartmann, just call me biased against the term "enterprise"... Sun's definition of a WebService is very narrow and is easily miscontrued in its current context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webservices empower other developers to utilize a host website's data and data-processing services.
    FYI - Amazon.com is currently the biggest webservice provider http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...8&node=3435361