SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

win 98 is all the os I need

I've got an old dell laptop running win 98 and I'm happy with the way everything works. The laptop does everything i need it to do and is plenty fast with a dsl connection. It's my understanding that upgrading to win xp can actually slow things down, and my 128 MB of ram may not be enough to handle the os. So, I don't see any reason to make the upgrade. Can you give me any reason that I am missing? I run zonealarm and have an antivirus program. I am just as secure as I would be with win xp, yes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

if you are happy with your pc the way it is then there is no need to "upgrade".

128 mg ram is barely enough to get the os working with xp.
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually good to run the new stuff since there are exploits that Zonealarm and your AV might not pick up.

Also, I've found XP to be really good in some other things compared to 98- specifically in regards to peripherals: you don't need an install disk to plug in some other piece of hardware, for example. XP automagically figures that out. Also, there are a lot of other nifty things in XP that you'll find out about. Not to mention that you'll eventually run into the problem of compatibility- even now a lot of software makers are dropping 98 support and developing just for XP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 2000 Pro is good for an upgrade from 98, but if 98 does what you want and have no problems, dont change whats not broken

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all works fine just stay with 98, my secondary rig is also still on 98 no problem at all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Windows 98 SE on my desktop computer and it still runs perfectly after five years, although I like the design and layout of Windows XP more.

And if it runs fine, why switch to another OS? 128 MB of RAM is just enough to run XP on it, and a stable system is more important then running a newer OS.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had far fewer problems with Win 98 than windows XP. As I've stated elsewhere, the next time I reformat, Windows 98 goes back on instead of XP.

If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies. I'm happy with win 98 and I don't add new peripherals to it all the time. When I do, I just put in the driver disk and that doesn't bother me.
    The only other question i have is when will microsoft stop offering security updates for win 98? Is that something I should worry about?

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who continually insist that Windows XP is slower than Windows 98 have obviously not changed any settings on their computer or have avoided XP because of some stupid stigma that somebody else put on it ("it's slow.") Windows XP can be configured to run just as fast as Windows 98, if not faster. It also has much better hardware support, as mentioned earlier. Oh, and I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 with visual styles, Opera, Edit Plus, Adobe Photoshop, MSN Messenger, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, and eMule right now with just 128mb of RAM and my computer is still running like it did when I first booted up (about 5 days ago.) My parents computer also runs Windows XP Pro SP2 with only 96mb of RAM (and a 800-something mhz processor) without much of a slowdown. All you need to do is take a few hours after the installation to configure it (something the people who claim XP is slow have never done, obviously.) I would also like to add that my system has been extremely stable, I've only had one major problem and it was my fault (messed up installation of Linux.) I'd also like to add that my parents' computer was running Windows 98 before I installed XP and it has been much more stable since the update.

Oh, if you're running Norton Anti-Virus then you probably should follow the minimum requirements for XP. NAV has been known to DRASTICALLY reduce performance of peoples' machines. I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal, and it works great. From what I've seen, it has a more thorough search than NAV and it doesn't slow your system down as much. For those looking for an alternative to NAV, try out kaspersky, you'll be happy you did.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=63193
    www.neowin.net
    www.tweakxp.com
    www.blackviper.com

Those places should help you optimize Windows XP to your heart's content