SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's talk System Recovery Software

I've been using PowerQuest V2i Protector 2.0 Desktop Edition to create a back-up image so I can boot my PC into V2i Protector's recovery console so I can restore my entire system in minutes (IF I ever needed to do this sort of thing)

Since Norton has bought out PowerQuest, and I'm not able to get any support due to this product being dumped, I'm looking for a similar program.

I found a prog at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/ but haven't had any feedback from anyone more knowledgeable than I that let's me know whether this is a good alternative, or not.

I would appreciate any leads on this prog, or any other program that would suit my needs. I run a small business that cannot afford any downtime and would like to be completely prepared to restore my system at any given time to it's original state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norton Ghost does this.

I keep an updated image on a secondary HD just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't use any Norton products other than NIS, and the first time I have a problem where I have to pay to speak to their tech support, that program is gone.

In a free enterprise economy, there are companies that value their clients business enough to provide a little tech support with their products without making them pay for it.

NIS is the only product I'll use from Norton. Any other suggestions? I know there has to be companies making recovery programs out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only used ghost, dont know of any others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been researching True Image and only heard good things about it. For on thing, the user interface is very friendly. Then I want to image on an external USB hard drive and I understand that Norton will will not restore via USB while True Image can. I'll be getting it set up in week or so and let you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghost can do restores via usb
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iluminatae
    Ghost can do restores via usb
    Hmmmm . . . Everyone I've talked to who who uses Ghost said it couldn't be done from USB. Perhaps they have an older version . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earther
    Hmmmm . . . Everyone I've talked to who who uses Ghost said it couldn't be done from USB. Perhaps they have an older version . . .
    Yeah they are probably running older versions. I actually just received the new v.9 as a xmas gift and had a look at the features, usb was one of them.
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acronis True Image works great. Just like I said at tweaktown..lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I installed Acronis True Image. I repartitioned my external USB hard drive and dedicated one partition to an Acronis Secure Zone for the image backup. First try aborted with errors - running programs. So I restarted and then shut down the running progs. It took a while but went without a hitch this time. This software is very easy to use. Of course, the real test would come if I ever needed to restore the image. One other handy feature is the ability to mount the image to extract certain files if needed. Now that I've got it working, I can sit down and read the documentation! LOL!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I went ahead and bought it and tested it in real time.
    It restored my PC with no problem.

In fact, tonight I was experimenting with some tweaks for better memory performance and some how I (or the author ) screwed up the registry and Windows could not boot up.

No problem! I shut down the system, put in my Acronis True Image boot CD to get the machine up, and then restored the image. Worked like a charm!

Best $49.95 I ever spent. Only takes my machine about 20 minutes to be restored and it runs like a brand new one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz
    Yeah, I went ahead and bought it and tested it in real time.
    It restored my PC with no problem.

In fact, tonight I was experimenting with some tweaks for better memory performance and some how I (or the author ) screwed up the registry and Windows could not boot up.

No problem! I shut down the system, put in my Acronis True Image boot CD to get the machine up, and then restored the image. Worked like a charm!

Best $49.95 I ever spent. Only takes my machine about 20 minutes to be restored and it runs like a brand new one!
    Isn't it nice to have a safety net? Unfortunately, it took 1 hr 20 min to create my image via USB. That's the only downside (but still faster than than system backup to CD). I'm hoping the incremental updates will go faster. Is your backup drive internal or external? And how many gigs did you image?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is internal. I'm running 2 160 8meg cache WD drives in my machine. (I also have two 250gig external drives I backup to manually, and keep turned off ecept when backing up...about once a week)

The way I'm doing mine is without incremental backups because I use Second Copy 2000 to backup everything in My Documents to my second drive every night at 2am ( this product works great, and can be found at: http://www.Centered.com )

Since I have My Documents backed up once a day, I'm just using the Acronis True Image product to take a snap shot of my entire C Drive after I get it all tweaked out and how I like it.

This way, as time goes by and my PC gets more clutered up with cookies, not so good performance, or whatever, I can always go back and restore my system to it's "the way I like it" settings. Then, all I have to do is backup My Documents from my secondary drive to my C drive and I'm back in business!

I just did a fresh install of XP Pro and all my programs so it's all brand new. That's why I wanted to take the snap shot of the C drive so I could always go back and restore it to it's new, fresh condition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to report a little glitch with TrueImage on my system. There are three running processes that were preventing my computer from coming out of standby! There has been discussion of these processes on the Acronis forum and a workaround to turn them on via a .bat file. I had to alter it a bit but finally got it to work. Now those three processes are dead until I wake them up! Here's the thread I posted with my fix - http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=61087

BTW, I installed SecondCopy and am giving it a whirl. Seems to be doing its job nicely. Thanks, Rockrz, for the suggestion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the version 8.0? That's their latest, which is what I got. I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Yeah, the Second Copy can be sped up by choosing the Exact Copy mode of copying. That way, it only over writes what has changed, and not the entire folder. Great little program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the version 8.0? That's their latest, which is what I got. I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Yeah, the Second Copy can be sped up by choosing the Exact Copy mode of copying. That way, it only over writes what has changed, and not the entire folder. Great little program.
    Yes, I'm using the latest version. This might be happening because I'm running Win ME.

I am doing exact copies of the files and it seems to be working really well. Only downside is having to deal with the deletions in the Recycle Bin! Haven't gotten it to write to my external CD writer though. Any suggestions about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using ME would explain alot. I've never used it, but have heard all about the challenges this product brings to the table.

NO, I'm writing to my secure zone on a second hard drive in my tower. I never planned to try to write a backup to a CD because my backups are about 23gigs.

As cheap as hard drives are, it would be much easier to buy one and install it as a slave drive. Then, get an external one to back up your slave drive too!
    You can't have too many backups!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using ME would explain alot. I've never used it, but have heard all about the challenges this product brings to the table.

NO, I'm writing to my secure zone on a second hard drive in my tower. I never planned to try to write a backup to a CD because my backups are about 23gigs.

As cheap as hard drives are, it would be much easier to buy one and install it as a slave drive. Then, get an external one to back up your slave drive too!
    You can't have too many backups!
    Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I have been running this system for FOUR years an never had to reinstall. Must be a record!! I'm trying to hold out for Longhorn.

Yeah, I'm definitely doing a second internal drive when I build a new box. Right now I'm doing file and system backups (not with TI) on CD. I just want to get the most mileage out of the current machine as it still functions well. Keep in mind that my car is over 14 years old!

Back to the beginning . . . kinda. If it works don't replace it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can relate. I'm all about saving a buck where possible when things are still doing a good job and not causing problems. My PC is coming up on 3 years in age, but it does great.

It's not quite as fast as I would like for it to be, but that's not really a problem (just a personal irritation )

In the next year, or two, I'm planning on building my own high performance system and using my current machine as a server for my business so my wife & I can store all our business files on a server between us.

That'll be challenging setting that up, considering all I know about servers is how to spell it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm also planning my new dream machine for when the time comes. Nice idea about using the old one as a server. Think I might try that too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, there's no charge today for all these productivity increasing ideas