SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the program for HTML editing. But it just eats up the memory on my machine--basically, I have to have only it open at any given time. Makes switching between applications a real bother...Oh, and HomeSite doesn't release the stupid memory when I close it, so as I go on switching between apps, the memory trickles away and eventually (after a couple of hours eventually, I mean) I have to reboot.

And I have 192 megs of RAM on this silly computer. It's no better than my old computer with 64 for running HomeSite...

Anyone else have this problem, or know what to do about it, or know if Macromedia has any plans to fix it?
    InformationSavant - developing intelligent web business
    StrangePegs.com - collectible cards, games, toys, comics

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried updating it? Allaire's got an upgrade to 4.5.2 which supposedly fixes some of the memory problems. I use NT at home and 2000 at work, both with 256Mb mem. and I haven't noticed any significant problems.

The upgrade is more of a re-install rather than patch so you'll need your product id. It'll also stomp all over your settings too. There's supposedly a wizard that'll update your settings but I've yet to see/find it.

I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain, SLeon. And the upgrade won't do you a bit of good, unfortunately. I had been running 4.5.2 on Windows ME, and it eats resources like nothing else. Macromedia was aware of the "issue", but they claimed it wasn't an issue at all. In the past, their message boards were flooded with posts from folks having the same problem. I have 384MB of RAM on Windows ME, but it doesn't make a difference how much RAM you have. It runs fine under Windows NT or 2000 Pro.

My solution on ME is a different editor. I've given up on HomeSite and I now use UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com).
    It's a good editor, and it behaves itself as far as resources are concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know you guys, I'm running Homestie 4.5 on WinME with 128RAM and it work fine. It takes 14% at loading and additional 5% after working with it for the whole day.
    I wouldn't change Homestie for any other editor

BTW, does Macromedia own Allaire ?
    Vladimir S. Pekulas
    http://www.Europeum.net
    http://wap.Europeum.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use hs 4.5

I usually do not have any problems with it at all.
    Sometimes I have HS, PS5.5, fireworks 4 and Quake III (the most important one of all) all running at the same time and I still get copious amounts of frags.. err.. work done.

I believe Macromedia did buy Allaire... I remember reading something about it somewhere.

PIII 700 128 MB Ram... nothing special..

it must be my GeForce2 MX that makes all the difference...

with err.. HomeSite that is...

<---- WhatEver
    ---> pFFt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GOOd GOD

Good God you guys have alot of Ram..=0) i have 64, I thought that was fairly standard, 128 is gettin got be standard now...but god....sorry,,,,
    Anyways i've been using home site for about a month (trial) and i haven't had hardly any memory problems mine is running on WIN98SE and its been fine...don't know what to tell you except that i just use notepad (OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE)...anyways i know i didn't help any but GOOD GOD THAT IS ALOT OF RAM...by the way if any of you are interested in helping me with a site on comic books and RPGs... a resource site...also on how to develope both, INSTANT MESSAGE Me or something.
    well laterz
    Run RABBIT Run, Dig That Hole Against The SUN.. WHen At last Your Work Is done, Don't sit Down its time to Dig Another ONe...~pinkFloyde~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P200(!), 64MB, WinNT (this is at work. I have better kit at home)

It's a bit of a memory hog for me, but not enough for me to want to use something else. I can run it and PS6 at the same time without wanting to throw things
    ...KartLink...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macromedia did buy Allaire.........

http://www.macromedia.com/special/allaire/

Eric McGill
    http://www.fivemiledesign.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Panhandle of Florida (White Sand/Brown Skin)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P2 450 w/128RAM
    I have been using Homesite for at least a year now and have definitly seen it suck my memory out... mainly when i try running too many programs at once...

I tend to have my HS open along with my graphics program (or two) and a fwe browser windows... unless you want to count my ICQ heh...

But every so often my memory will drop so bad that I actually get a Virtual Memory warning and am basically forced to reboot...

Im pretty sure that HS is the one sucking it up...

But all in all I would still stick with it simply because I love the way it finishes the tags for me... heh...

How is that Ultra Edit though scrubz?
    Does it finish tags also?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    running W2K on 400mHz PII with a 96 megs of ram and have no problems.

Funny, these stats seemed impressive when I first got my computer, but compared to what others are running...
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com