SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Adobe GoLive?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is this program? I am basically trying to decide between it and DreamWeaver. Are there any other good choices for a WYSIWYG editor other than FrontPage? I will be using PhotoShop so is GoLive the only one to get or would DW work well with PhotoShop too? Also, does GoLive have any of the nice web app features that DreamWeaver UltraDev has? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both have trial versions it is best to decide what you like best and not what others like or what they think you will like. Download the trials from www.macromedia.com and www.adobe.com and see which one suits your needs best.
    Last edited by Smarky; May 1, 2001 at 02:38.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with dreamweaver, it may take a bit longer to learn but it is worth it. For me golive was simplistic, iit looks as is it was designed for the occasinal user for their personal site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that Dreamweaver is my personal choice over GoLive but diffrent users have diffrent tastes that is why i always recommend trying the trial versions out. That is what they are there for
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its like Pepsi or Coke, Dell or HP, Black or White, Adobe or Macromedia.

Dreamweaver will integrate with Photoshop, but probably not as well as it would with Go Live simply because it is made by the same company. But Dreamweaver does an excellent job.

I would download the trial programs.

Eric McGill
    http://www.fivemiledesign.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think Adobe have, in the past at least, rested on their print-based laurels, more or less ignoring the web for 3 - 4 years.

Macromedia by comparison, was relealesing fairly groundbreaking apps like Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Ultradev, etc while Adobe was pretty much happy to sell upgrades of Photoshop and Illustrator . Eventually they got ImageReady out, but with GoLive and LiveMotion, I think they've kinda missed the boat. They're swimming hard, but I'm not sure how convincing it is. That's just me.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think Adobe have, in the past at least, rested on their print-based laurels, more or less ignoring the web for 3 - 4 years.
    They didn't ignore the Web, they just didn't get it! They initially tried to convince print designers that they could design Web pages in PDF format and that users could view them with the PDF browser plugin. They also failed miserably with PageMill. Soon afterwards they acquired GL, seeing that it was the only program that had the potential to compete with DW.

I've used GoLive for the past 3 years. I recently switched to Dreamweaver because I feel that it has an edge over GL. However I would not discount GL... it is definitely a professional-class Web design app, and not created for the hobbyist.

Download both demos and decide which YOU like best. They both do the same thing, but use different methods to get you there. (A word of warning, GoLive 5 has some bugs which may cause you grief, which is why I initially switched to DW.)

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the newest versions of both companies, and I chose Dreamweaver for my design firm. Not only do I feel that it has superior tools and better support for layers (not to mention all the extensions available), but it has the ability to sign in/out pages so more than one person can work on a site without risking deletion of newer content. I wholeheartedly recommend Dreamweaver and will do so until someone else really steps up and listens to the designers. Browse the extensions site for Dreamweaver sometime and see all the people that pour their heart into making the program more useful, and check out their newsgroup to see how many people are available for support. http://www.macromedia.com/exchange/dreamweaver/
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com