User Tag List

Thread: dust free comp

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dust free comp

my old motherboard and cpu died because there was a carpet of dust on the fan of the cpu.

now i've upgraded my system and DO NOT want that to happen again.

would anyone have any dust-free techinques.

here is what i have so far:
    *move to a room that is tiled (current room is of oldish carpet that isnt vaccumed daily)
    *get some thin fabric and attatch it on the inside of the case over the vent holes. i'm not sure about this...although my comp is moving to a cool[er] room that will be air-con'd while the room is hot, i dont know what effects it'll have on the cooling of the pc.

thanks!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I doubt there is anyway to guarantee no dust will reach the inside of your comp, besides placing it in a sterilized room.

Though vaccuming regularly can't hurt. Don't allow smoking around the comp. You could get some sort of dust cover for it, I'm sure they make something.

Johnny

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use water cooling and cover the fan vents
    James Rice :: Ex-Mentor
    www.jamesrice.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. i know its impossible to have 100% dust free. just as dust free as possible
    2. vacuuming? i am doubtful about static
    3. cant afford water cooling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cover it with something which only allows air in/out (?).
    There are air cleaners which are supposed to clean air and eliminate ions, small sized particles..
    Smoke may be bad for computers too. My home theater ($500) died because of dust. I never heard of a computer being useless b/c of dust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it off the floor for a start. Buy yourself an air canister and just open your case from time to time and give it a blast. It's that simple.

The dust creates static. Static is not good in a pc case . Thats why when ever your working on a PC you should have it plugged into the mains when swtiched off (The mains plug should be swtiched off) so that static can run to earth should you have any static in your body (especially when its cold) touch the metal part of the case to discharge static before toching any components, better still get an antistatic strap.

Dont waste your money on any of the fancy gizmos. Just blast the dust from time to time.

Kili
    It's not how long you live that counts but how you live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find that the main reason computers fail because of Dust is because they carnt transfer the heat away quick enough and they overheat.

Some things to avoid Dust affecting your computer is as Kili Said, Get the canned Air and blow out the fan every 3 to 6 months. If you have a compressor just as good, If you are using a compressor always give a few burst away fromt he computer as they some times get a bit of condensation in them, And water will kill a computer faster then dust.

Yes also static elec, can be a big problem, unless you know you are earth(again as per kili post) dont touch any of the components inside. Experience from building computers tells me Static Elec is very easy to come by, every time i would pull a new case out of the box the first touch would give a little(sometimes bigger) shock from the static build up.

To help eliminate dust though Tiles are a good start, but also keeping the computer it self off the floor helps. I dont know that placing fabric over the intakes is a good idea unless you check and keep it clean often as this could eventually get completly blocked as well.

Hope this helps you.
    Joel Brown - Orion Networks
    Techie-Central New Updated Style and Forums
    Stores - Books | PHP | Point of Sale | Pocket Drives

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every couple months I simply air blast my computer- and with what's left I air blast my brother
    My computer is fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no dust has a chance to settle in my comp, I have 2 fans blowing air in and 2 fans sucking air out, on top of that I have my cpu fan mixing things up and two fans on my psu.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can read all about my fans here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Christmas, I got a "Computer Vacuum Kit". That was an awesome gift. You can get one too, since there is no wya to guarantee that no dust will reach your pc

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy fan filters that are usually made of a mesh material that keeps most dust out. Since the fans are the main entrance for dust filters will probably be your best bet. Filters like this are what I am talking about

You could also setup your fans with variable speed so that they move the dust out of the computer (the G5 that frozentoast posted does this). If you always keep the dust moving it never has time to settle and eventually gets blown out.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the great information guys.

i'll look into buying the compressed air cans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the compressed air cans you could buy a couple of fan filters.