The knight who said ni! RockyShark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's wrong with an iPod?

If you've got an iPod, I have a question:

What's the worst thing about it?

The "what do you like about it" is an easy question to answer, I guess. But nothing is perfect. The thing must have some flaw; some room for improvement. I'm curious to know where it could be improved.

Any thoughts...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one(yet), but from what I hear it's the short battery life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had mine for two years and I've never had a real problem with it. I dropped it once and the screen went all funny, like when the horizontal hold on a TV goes out. However, after a brief call to Apple I found out that if you hold the "play" and "menu" buttons together it resets it. After that it was fine.

Never really had a problem with battery life. Although my iTrip is kind of a pain when traveling long distances just cause I have to switch the channel when it starts picking up other radio stations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worse problem so far after having it for a couple weeks. Kind of prone to scratchs and also the back tends to get a lot of finger prints on it. Suggestion: Get a case to go with it. Otherwise I have found it to be great.
    Surrix.net: Tech help site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being able to change the running order in your playlists. Not being able to shuffle songs for one artist.

Not being able to upload to another PC ¦o)
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ain't got one yet. That's what's wrong with it!

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They cost too much! That's my complaint.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyShark
    What's the worst thing about it?
    The hype about it!

After all its just an MP3 (or yeah, whatever ) player and still people treat it almost as god-given gift . I have never seen this kind of behaviour in connection with MuVos for example.
    Last edited by drzoid; Dec 24, 2004 at 21:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No radio. Cannot customize equalizer settings. Not a true mass-storage device.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one for a week and sold it cos it was crap. I didn't like having to have an identical copy of all the files on my computer.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid
    The hype about it!

After all its just an MP3 (or yeah, whatever ) player and still people treat it almost as god-given gift . I have never seen this kind of behaviour in connection with MuVos for example.
    I think thats because everyone of those looks like the run of the mill mp3 player. The iPod is exceptional in its looks, IMO.

- Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an ipod mini for christmas and love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itz Apple

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont like that company and their products 2 much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had multiple ipods, all with problems. They tend to need to be reset often. I have one which once you turn the power off, you need to plug it into the wall to turn it back on (and now can't communicate via usb). Another iPod, my sister just got, the menu button failed to work after 2 days, now in order to get back to the main menu, it has to be reset (don't ask me how it can reset when the menu button doesn't work).

Also, the scratching problem is annoying, short battery life after a while, freezes often, and is expensive. Enough?

-Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a warranty on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first is out of warranty, the second is being replaced next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My iPod is a generation two (the one before the dock).

I'm pretty sure that either motion or heat or both can cause my iPod to crash.

It never crashes when it is resting it on a surface but I've found that it freezes when it is in my pants pocket and I am switching through tracks. I've reduced this problem some by resting my hand on it when I'm track surfing or by placing it in a jacket pocket if it is cold enough but I still sometimes get a crash.

My iPod seems to consume a lot of power and heat up after it crashes, so it is best to reset it ASAP.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid
    The hype about it!

I agree. Both on the hype about iPod and Apple products in general and the recommendation for the Muvos.
    I also like them. I had one of the first generation and it has never failed on me. I use it whenever I go running. Since it's a flash player there are no stops during play. It even survived one go in the washing machine. (Forgot it inside the jacket I use for running ... )
    The newest generation [link=http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo_Micron200/]Micro N200[/link] also look really nice.

(Actually, I hope this isn't considered trolling since I usually have something to say about some Apple products.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't have a hard-drive MP3 player, and I'm probably going to go with an iRiver. More bang for the buck, but not as slick an interface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the fact that I couldn't find the 20 gig version anywhere (I really don't have need for more space), so I had to order it directly from Apple... that stinks. They take a very long time to ship stuff.
    Sing in a band called Psychostick, Alfredo Afro.

web designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayn
    Well, the fact that I couldn't find the 20 gig version anywhere (I really don't have need for more space), so I had to order it directly from Apple... that stinks. They take a very long time to ship stuff.

I had problems getting a 202gig, but really wanted one before going back to uin so I could get my CD collection at home on it. Ending up getting the 40gig model.

Worst things for me are:

The back - I cant understand the theory behind using something which shows up every little mark on it.

The headphones, two weeks in and the right one is already making popping noises, I knew they werent great, but ive had better with a cassette walkman. Time to get some decent ones.

other than that - all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, actually they shipped it yesterday (the day I ordered it). Hah! So yay! Should have it by next Wednesday.

I saw something cool at Best Buy. There's this adapter thingy you can put into your car that will play your iPod music in your car over all of the FM frequencies. Anyone get this and try it out? Does it work ok?
    Sing in a band called Psychostick, Alfredo Afro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pony
    Not being able to shuffle songs for one artist.
    Turning on shuffle in your settings will shuffle any song set that's playing.
    Whether it be by artist, albumn, genre, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by biggazillakilla
    No radio
    What MP3 players have radios?

Quote Originally Posted by biggazillakilla
    Not a true mass-storage device.
    It can be. It just requires the download of a special update via iTunes (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by petesmc
    I've had multiple ipods, all with problems. They tend to need to be reset often. I have one which once you turn the power off, you need to plug it into the wall to turn it back on (and now can't communicate via usb). Another iPod, my sister just got, the menu button failed to work after 2 days, now in order to get back to the main menu, it has to be reset (don't ask me how it can reset when the menu button doesn't work).

Also, the scratching problem is annoying, short battery life after a while, freezes often, and is expensive. Enough?
    I've had mine since August, and no resets necessary.
    Still works perfectly.
    No plugging in required save downloading new songs and charging (dang 6-8hr battery).

Quote Originally Posted by cloak
    The headphones, two weeks in and the right one is already making popping noises, I knew they werent great, but ive had better with a cassette walkman. Time to get some decent ones.
    I've never had a problem with them. In fact, I think they're the best sounding headphones I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayn
    I saw something cool at Best Buy. There's this adapter thingy you can put into your car that will play your iPod music in your car over all of the FM frequencies. Anyone get this and try it out? Does it work ok?
    It sounds cool, but I've heard they can be a pain because if you can't find a frequency that has -no- transmission on it, it'll bleed through which can be a big problem is some cities (like here in boston where theres a million FM stations).
    Also, the sound quality will never be better than the best FM station.

As for what I don't like about it?
    I'd definately agree with the mentions about scratches, but you only get that with the ones that have the metallic back. Just keep it in a case.
    Battery life I guess is an issue. Lasts 6-8 hours usually, which isn't a problem for me as I use it in work so I can plug it in.
    But for others this could be a major issue.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... we have three in our household and I cannot fault them to be honest. The design is classic, elegant anc clean... and they perform brilliantly.

I can see why Apple is gaining a userbase.

I guess the only thing I would say has already been said. Make sure you get a cover for yours.
    John