User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shortest answer not to use IE but firefox

hi everybody,

who can give me the shortest answer not to use IE but firefox?

I want to write a little article about this on my website. Itīs for non-technical users. They donīt know about web standards and stuff. There are a lot of ressources but nothing for a normal surfer.

OK - what do you think are the most important arguments for those people?

oerdec

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoiding virus infections is a good reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used IE since I've been using a computer and have never had a virus because of my browser.

Man, all these Firefox posts crack me up.
    Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, short answer is that 95% of forums have one of these topics, that should be enough of a reason to use FireFox

Rick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Closed windows. Out of date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I dont consider IE as a bad browser, but moved to Firefox recently too, mainly for security reasons. Not that IE is insecure by definition, but a fresh out-of-the-box installation of 2000 or XP requires that many patches to have a secure IE, that it really annoyed me.

However, there is one big issue which really bothers me because its the same behaviour from the Mozilla guys, as the Microsoft guys are always accused of. Simply ignoring bugs.

This bug I am talking about is now already known for 8 months and still not fixed. Its even not a minor one, but rather a critical as it randomly wipes your entire history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A reason not to delete IE: some websites or tools will not work in any other browser. Annoying? yes, but for some firefox only is not an answer.

I use Firefox 90% of the time at home, but IE is still there blocked by zonealarm until I need it.

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's all kinds of reasons, but I'd have to say the main reason would be security. FireFox is just simply superior when it comes to security on the web. And it comes like that right when you download it. With IE,...well if your an IE user then you know very well that downloading new security updates for it is almost a religious task. There are constantly new security threats to IE and in response there are always new security patches that you have to download to fix it. Theres nothing wrong with the browser itself as far as complying with the web. It does a good job, is compatible will all the web technologies out there, and has lot of flexibility. It's just very unstable when it comes to security. Mozilla is taking steps to eliminate the need for a high maintenance browser and I applaud them for it. I use FF and have been for quite some time. Ive only had to upgrade once and I don't even know what it was for cause I never experienced a single problem with it. On a final note, I would just like to say that I would happily use IE again if Microsoft completely scrapped it, and re-created it from the ground up. Making it above and beyond anything that we could possibly need. It seems like the best technology is the kind that we can't even completey utilize yet. *its always good to be one step ahead*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL
    I've used IE since I've been using a computer and have never had a virus because of my browser.

What about tabbed browsing? Is than not reason enough?

And do you run programs like spybot s&d or adaware on a regular basis? I'm sure you get lots of spyware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another reason: extensions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_
    What about tabbed browsing? Is than not reason enough?
    I admit that tabbed browsing is convenient, but its not as if they invented the wheel.

And do you run programs like spybot s&d or adaware on a regular basis? I'm sure you get lots of spyware.
    To come to IE's defence, I have to say I ran IE for a long time and NEVER got spyware or something similar through its security leaks. In general I wouldnt say that spyware ever came through IE at all.

I am seriously considering to switch to IE back again as I am more than just bothered by this history bug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oerdec
    another reason: extensions.
    Exist for IE as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drzoid,

in same quantity and quality?

Donīt misunderstand me. I donīt know of good extensions for IE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry I cant tell you. I never installed a plugin in IE and just have installed three extensions for Firefox. So I am not exactly the power-user in this context .

I was just stating that both browsers offer an interface for third-party plugins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched because I was getting adware and stuff. Was getting a lot when running IE, not anymore.
    Tabbed browsing is convenient too.
    Still have IE because Firefox doesn't support an obscure web server software that I use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    obscure web server software
    in your company?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid
    I admit that tabbed browsing is convenient, but its not as if they invented the wheel.

To come to IE's defence, I have to say I ran IE for a long time and NEVER got spyware or something similar through its security leaks. In general I wouldnt say that spyware ever came through IE at all.

I am seriously considering to switch to IE back again as I am more than just bothered by this history bug.
    Wow, that's amazing. When I used IE I would pick up spyware on a daily basis.

And I've never had that history bug happen to me. You could try stopping on firefox's IRC channel and see what they reccomend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's amazing. When I used IE I would pick up spyware on a daily basis.
    It depends on which sites you go . And of course on your security settings. I had ActiveX for example always disabled.

And I've never had that history bug happen to me. You could try stopping on firefox's IRC channel and see what they reccomend.
    Well, I tried it in their official support forum. Except for the fact that asking there was rather useless (nobody really cared) I didnt get any good tips there. As far as it seems, its a bug which occasionally (or more often) happens.

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also never had a problem with the history bug and I also accquired tons of unwanted spyware when I used IE. I even had my IE browser hi-jacked before. Yet, not one single problem ever since I installed FF. And yea, tab browsing rules, but I don't use alot of it seeing as how I already operate on 4 monitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because

-- you asked for the shortest answer. works with my kids anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as drzoid here, never had adware/spyware from using IE. Though, i still haven't switched over to IE. I think the main reason, is because i love it that IE is built into windows. I always will open up 'My Computer', browser some files and then type a URL in the address bar and it'll work. If it suddendly switched to firefox, then i'd fully switch over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL

I'm one of the few people who didn't convert over to FireFox; everyone talks about it but I've *never* had a problem with IE + I have the Google ToolBar
    █ █ sid007
    $20 VPS Server
    :: Unlimited Websites

iRude.com :: A Blog

FREE Templates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of people use the arguement that they've never had any problems with IE.

But I don't think they realize how awesome and helpful tabbed browsing is. It makes things so much easier.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to write a little article about this on my website. Itīs for non-technical users. They donīt know about web standards and stuff. There are a lot of ressources but nothing for a normal surfer.
    Then you prolly shouldn't be writing an article promoting a non-IE browser. Say what you want about Mozilla and/or Firefox, but they remain browsers for the "nerd"* factions of society, not the "normal" or "non-technical" crowd.

* No offense intended.
    I've twice been pop-uped,
    Three times more,
    Never again shall they pop,
    And pity those it makes poor.