SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeet Kune Do (not an art in itself incidentally).

~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    Jeet Kune Do (not an art in itself incidentally).

What do you think of JKD, H?

--ed

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg to differ. Jeet Kun Do is indeed a martial art. What it is "not" is a style nor does it condone implementation or use of styles. Instead it practices "construction" of a style,....your own style. JKD provides martial art tatics that work best when they are performed the way 'you" learn them. JKD makes the most out of the way you do things instead of spending a lot of time trying to do things the way someone else does them. In essence, you can take JKD classes with 100 other students from the same teacher and all learn the same exact thing,...but when it comes down to it, each of you will all still posses a unique style of JKD...like i said.."your" style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took Judo which was a natural for me since I was a wrestler in High School. My friend's dad who was a World Champion owned the school, so the workouts were pretty grueling.

It's good to know you can defend yourself without actually hitting someone.

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another interesting way to approach this ""urge"" you feel to take martial arts is maybe not to take martial arts, but instead a simpler defense tactic. There are other ways out ther other than martial arts that show you how to defend yourself. *and attack someone as well*

For instance, KALI - a brutal defense tatic specializing in hand to hand combat with Knives. Most commonly known as the knife fighting style you can see on the movie "The HUNTED" with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. You can learn defensive/offensive hand to hand combat skills with or without a weapon and turn yourself into a very dangerous weapon, and all without sacrificing years of your life to do it as you would a martial art.

You mentioned being lazy and I noticed that your will power may not allow you to pursue a martial art form long enough to really utilize it, so I suggested an alternate method. Combat and/or Defense tatics. KALI is just one of many.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    What do you think of JKD, H?

--ed
    I think that the concept as created by Mr Lee is superb. I have trained with some of his original students (including Richard Bustillo) and found them extremely amenable and forward thinking. I have also trained with alleged JKD instructors and found that the methods they implemented as part of the "martial art" were entirely too rigid - kind of defeating the initial purpose.

I have seen some fantastic Wing Chun/Small Circle Ju Jitsu crossovers applied, along with Kali/Escrima (particularly Doce Pares with Danny Guba).

I believe if the originator were alive today he would have developed/adopted a style very similar to what is today becoming standard "MMA". That is to say a combination of Muay Thai stand up (though with improved hands and a more defensive guard and movement paradigm) and techniques from the Ju Jitsu repetoire for the ground. The guy was simply doing very early what some pioneers have taken further over the last ten or more years - that is testing, reviewing, adapting techniques that do and don't work in certain situations.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a fighting concept you should consider, it is not a style, form, kung fu or karate:

Jeet Kune Do (The way of the intercepting fist)

I have been a sifu of JKD for over 10 years and studied JKD in conjunction with 12 other fighting methods over the last 20 years.

JKD combines the best of the best skills in Muay Thai, Balintawak, Kali, Mande Muda Silat, Penkak Silat, Capoeira, Boxe Francais Savate, Boxing, Ju-jitsu, Grappling, Groundfighting and Wing Tsun.

Then all the best methods are combined and distilled to become even more deadly and personalized to each individuals capabilities.

There are no set rules, no formality, no set positions, no belts in JKD. It is pure fighting freedom.

It was originated by the late Bruce Lee and has evolved into something beyond even his imagination, with new breakthroughs in scientific physiological and mental training.
    Julian Jackson
    Circle Design - Think outside the square.
    Knitnak, for fabulous handmade knitwear.