Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do *you* know Kung Fu?

Hi,

I have always wanted to learn a martial art, one that was truly effective, and doesn't focus on tests and belts. However, I am very lazy. I definately wouldn't start lessons unless I was sure of my own interest. I am also poor, so I can't afford lessons. So for the time being, I'd like to live vicariously through you.

I've heard a lot of great things about Pa Kua Chang Kung Fu (aka Ba Gua Zhang). If you have studied Pa Kua Chang, please comment on your experiences with it (especially regarding it's effectiveness in actual combat).

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I have always wanted to learn a martial art....

***snip***

...However, I am very lazy...
    Don't usually like to be negative about these things, but have been a martial artist for 26 years and an instructor for about 10...the above two statements are incongruent I'm afraid, there are no shortcuts in MA, if you start from that point you will simply give up. I'd save yerself time and money.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Neo learned Kung Fu while laying back in a chair.

--ed

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wing Chun is pretty useful and quick to learn. I personally would like to learn Wushu or Akido.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh i can say that i mastered my skills by ages, and now my karate is l33t.Beware of Tekken kids

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I could kill you in Tekken.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In martial arts, the thing you practice the most is discipline and commitment. Martial arts is not as much combat training as it is an anti-laziness exercise.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pal of mine is quite into his Kung Fu. I went along with him a couple of times, but found it pretty dull to be honest. As people have said, it's not really about fighting as such, it's more to do with discipline, fitness and technique. Sadly, I don't have any of those attributes, I was just hoping to get the opportunity to give him a thick lip.
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is loosely correct, although the term can also be said to mean 'hard work" or 'job performed well (skilfully)".

I was remiss in my earlier answer, so I'll address the latter part of the question:
    especially regarding it's effectiveness in actual combat
    The only way to test the effectiveness of a martial art in actual combat is to apply it. It is crucial to learn form, technique and breathing. It is also very important to attain a level of fitness and flexibility that allows you to perform certain techniques. These things will bring success in the martial art itself.
    BUT.
    They will not make you an effective fighter.
    The only thing that will do that is either actual fighting (not always a practical or desirable option), or "pressure testing" - that is to say getting as near as you can to real confrontations (physically and mentally) as is possible within certain safety boundries.

To be truly "effective", you have to have confidence (though not ego) relating to your abilities as a martial artist. You can never be fully confident unless it is tried and tested (and patterns and set-sparring do little to this end). Ironically when you gain good confidence in your art, you will find the need to test it diminishes to almost zero, as most people who are prone to attacking others are essentially cowardly and can spot a "soft" target from the way they carry themselves and the look in their eyes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are looking for is "Krav Maga"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I've never met Kung Fu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRob
    What you are looking for is "Krav Maga"
    I was just going to suggest that. There are self defense systems like Krav Maga that cut through all the crap and teach you how to defend your life and/or seriously hurt someone in the process. I think the Israeli military uses Krav Maga.

--ed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    I think the Israeli military uses Krav Maga.

--ed

...I have trained with Israeli military and have to say that the style (or perhaps stylists) didn't live up to the hype.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check this out:
    http://www.kungfuinaction.com/kfiaclips1.wmv

Here's a cool clip. Although, some of that stuff doesn't look like what I thought kung fu was supposed to look like.

--ed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im a 7th degree black belt

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your serious about learning martial arts I would say you need to decide what your aim really is. It should be 1 of two things.

1. Learning martial arts to attain higher quality of life and understanding.
    (focus, discipline, conditioning, health, etc.)

2. Learning martial arts for application such as defending yourself or competeing.
    (life threatening situations, tournaments, etc.)

On the first one, I would go with Tai Chi. It's really serious art used to obtain balance and flow of engery. It can really enlighten you and just over all improve your quality of life in many ways.

On the second on, I would choose a mixture of styles. It's important to build an "all around" style for yourself that allows you to adapt and be more efficient. One mixture I would suggest is:
    Muy Tai (kickboxing) - Attack
    Lua Jujitsu - Defense
    Brazillian Jujitsu - Grappling

Overview:
    Muy Tai (kickboxing) is probably the most effective form of kickboxing becaue of the utilization of the knees, elbows, and other hard boned areas of the body. Physical conditioning of these bones turns your body into dangerous weapons without even learning technique in how to apply them. Essentially you could strike someone with your forearm with the force of a baseball bat without sustaining injury to your arm. I recommend this style cause it helps to make fights short. Delivering devistating blows from furious knees and elbows is not something that most people can just shake off. It usually leads to a quick victory. It also provides for natural defense using the same conditioned bones to take impact without sustaining injury.

Lua Jujitsu is probably the most effective form of Jujitsu there is too. Jujitsu is primarly the art of joint manipulation and using your opponents body weight against them. The hawaiian art "Lua" is a modified form of jujitsu that teachs the art of bone breaking. Jujitsu is a very powerful defense art by itself, but is 100 times more dangerous and effective as a defensive art when coupled with Lua. Again this style provides for quick conflicts. The ability to cripple someone by breaking bones or cause joint dislocation is not something the average person can just shake off. On top of that jujitsu's joint manipluation allows you to render a person imobile completely preventing them from inflicting any harm upon you or anyone else.

Brazillian jujitsu like Lua Jujitsu is a very effective form of self defense, however, the Brazillian form is primarily ground fighting styles. Brazilian jujitso is the "no rules anything goes" form of Brazilian Judo. You have to remember that alot of people like to catch you off guard, and take you to the ground in a scuffle. This makes it hard to utilize alot of martial arts. However, if you know brazilian jujitsu, well then they person who just drove you to the ground is in for a world of pain. The good think about the defense and grappling styles I listed is they they are both forms of jujitsu, and you can take them both at the same time. It might even help you learn faster and more efficiently.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coo_t2
    I was just going to suggest that. There are self defense systems like Krav Maga that cut through all the crap and teach you how to defend your life and/or seriously hurt someone in the process. I think the Israeli military uses Krav Maga.

--ed
    If I am not mistaking, the style has been developped by the Israeli army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Chinese,I know Pa Kua Chang,It is a kind of Wu shu with Chinese philosophy,Calm can beat move.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Tae Kwon Do fan personally. Karate is good, but not quite as effective. Tae Kwon Do is a Korean version of Karate but has reformulated a couple of the moves to make them more effective and there's more emphasis on jumping and kicking, it's flashier. I studied Tae Kwon Do with a buddy of mine for about 5 years and we were always sparring with eachother. Tae Kwon Do focues mainly on balance, speed, and surprise.

Leopard Kung Fu is also a good martial art. It's one of the, if not thee, fastest Kung Fu style(s). It mainly focuses on speed and strength. You could also train in Wing Chun Kung Fu, which is what Bruce Lee used (though he transitioned away from it and into his own style, whatever that was.) Wing Chun doesn't take a long time to learn; simplicity, effeciency, and speed are the main focus.

I would also recommend Brazilian Jujitsu, grappling and immobilization are very important. Sometimes it is useful to use grappling techniques to branch into Tae Kwon Do or something similar. Brazilian Jujitsu also focuses on ground techniques (in the odd event that you get knocked down) and submission moves. Brazilian Jujitsu also teaches normal fighting but I would learn more about the grappling and on-ground techniques (if you are going to learn more than one form of martial arts) for those moments when you are most vulnerable.

You can probably find books about Tae Kwon Do and Wing Chun, they are both fairly popular styles. You can take a look at some Brazilian Jujitsu techniques. You might have trouble finding something about Leopard though, I don't think it's very popular.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i train about 6 hours a week in taekwondo - started it 5 years ago but stopped for 4 years due to problems with my knees - just started going back to it recently and loving it
    i want to start ju jitsu - perhaps one day a week. We touch upon locks and throws a little in taekwondo but not nearly enough. Want to do a bit of boxing as well, i have a friend who is a trainer at the local gym and hes always telling me to go down - i got a lot more respect for boxers after sparring with a few guys at my club who have did it a little. To say they kicked my *** would be an understatement - lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've studied several martial arts. I find wing chun to be the most effective in real life situations. There are no flashy kicks are "round house" punches. It emphisizes economic hits that destabize your opponents.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know Muay-Thai.? We used to use it in the war. Itís good for fight with many people, just like in the war. Many many trick can stop you enemy in one strike and it does not worst you time to fight with other enemy. At present muay thaiís tern in to sport many trick does not allow in the game. So itís become a Muay thai friendly.

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have done some ninjitsu. Muay-Thai seems effective, but Vale Tudo looks to be the best. I have more experience from bar brawls and street fighting, but my limited knowledge in ninjitsu has helped in that.

http://www.sherdog.com/

I had a look at that Krav Maga style, and I'd need to inspect it more closely, but those moves in the examples did very little to convince me.

~R
    Last edited by adesignrsa; Dec 28, 2004 at 07:42.
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, i dont

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to either learn Aikido or Jeet Kun Do (spelling?).
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore