SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats going to happen in 2005?

Grab a crystal ball in your hands, and lets predict the future for the coming year....?

My predictions are:

1. YoYos will come back in.
    2. A new ipod will come out with a camera on.
    3. More high bandwidth sites will start popping up.
    4. Google will launch a messenger service, like MSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about this before. I'm surprised they don't have one yet.

I'm not sure about it. I'd love it, but I don't know that it's going to happen.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuclear war..?

Yeah, maybe not. I think something HUGE will happen in North Korea though. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple of nuclear warheads set off just to prove a point..

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Microsoft will not release Longhorn.

2. Google will do well until mid-year, when recent missteps will come back to haunt them, primarily due to the recent firing / quitting of most of their marketing department. The second half of the year will see the company struggle on Wall Street, the stock "tank" (down to IPO levels), some reshuffling and a stronger company emerge.

3. Sun will finally get Solaris open sourced. It won't make a big difference, though it'll put a lot of pressure on Novell to finally get their act together.

4. Novell won't get their act together.

5. Apple will continue to dominate the music player market, though its share will drop to 75%, driven largely by consumer demand for more choice, less lockin, etc.

6. Microsoft will release XBox 2 / NeXT. Decent games, a killer graphics engine. Not enough to make any serious dent in the console market. Until Sony releases the PS3, when the two will go head to head. The PS3'll still be on top, but only with a 40% market share.

7. Storage markets will continue to consolidate. Most large vendors will completely miss the ball with centralized / decentralized / virtual storage, preferring to focus instead on more "mainstream" technologies that enterprises either already have or simply don't need.

8. Expect 3 surprise hits this year in the theatres. Of course, by surprise I mean mainly that people (like me) continue to pay good money (like mine) for the other crap.

9. Several notable blogging books will be released, dozens of Fortune 500 companies will sign on (hopefully through IB ). Oh, and there'll be a "blogging meltdown" as bloggers, in their zealousness, make several serious missteps causing some backlash. Nothing seriously major, but they take the halo off the whole thing.

10. I'll get laid.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apocalypse.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could be pushing it there with number 10 Jeremy!

:-P

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will wake up, do some stuff, and fall asleep, and then repeat the process 365 days in a row.
    Unless of course I die.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanAUS
    I think you could be pushing it there with number 10 Jeremy!

:-P
    That's what my wife said too!
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [j0n]
    3. More high bandwidth sites will start popping up.
    1. Doubt it.
    2. Doubt it.
    3. Obvious.
    4. Obvious.
    [/j0n]

[jeremy]
    it'll put a lot of pressure on Novell to finally get their act together.

Heh brilliant

10. I'll get laid.
    But your wife won't...

I don't know about #6. I think that Nintendo was right when they said that they don't feel that they will be only be competing with the PS2, because the next Xbox will be so far ahead it shouldn't be able to compete; however, I feel that having 3 seperate Xbox 2 consoles, will cause barriers that will hold Microsoft back. Microsoft will still end out on top, because I'm sure that they will make arrangements to have Final Fantasy as one of the games released for the Xbox 2 before PS3 can snag it; especially because Microsoft played an integral role in Enix's beginnings. Also, with 2 more Halo games continuing where Halo 2 left off, we can be sure that Halo will still dominate the game market. If people see Final Fantasy and Halo on the same console, it'll crush the other consoles. Especially if it has the best graphics, and the best controller, like the current Xbox.
    [/jeremy]

[nathan]
    Something big will happen in the Eastern Hemisphere. If it's in North Korea, they'll delay getting aid, and therefore will have many of their own civilians needlessly killed.
    [/nathan]

[goaly]
    Unless of course I die.
    [/goaly]
    I'd say "Here's hoping" but a) That sounds like a threat b) That's pretty mean for just a small and sarcastic quip.

[my own predictions]
    1. Amazon will either come up with something pretty innovative or AWS will die.
    2. A large competitor to Alienware will emerge.
    3. I'll get a new guitar, and hopefully a new computer, and hopefully a new amp.
    4. I'll focus more on making money, which will drive my design sense and principals down to the ground and I'll become detached from the internet, leaving a shattered and paranoid wreck--not really
    [/my own predictions]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    1. Microsoft will not release Longhorn.

2. Google will do well until mid-year, when recent missteps will come back to haunt them, primarily due to the recent firing / quitting of most of their marketing department. The second half of the year will see the company struggle on Wall Street, the stock "tank" (down to IPO levels), some reshuffling and a stronger company emerge.

3. Sun will finally get Solaris open sourced. It won't make a big difference, though it'll put a lot of pressure on Novell to finally get their act together.

5. Apple will continue to dominate the music player market, though its share will drop to 75%, driven largely by consumer demand for more choice, less lockin, etc.

6. Microsoft will release XBox 2 / NeXT. Decent games, a killer graphics engine. Not enough to make any serious dent in the console market. Until Sony releases the PS3, when the two will go head to head. The PS3'll still be on top, but only with a 40% market share.

7. Storage markets will continue to consolidate. Most large vendors will completely miss the ball with centralized / decentralized / virtual storage, preferring to focus instead on more "mainstream" technologies that enterprises either already have or simply don't need.

8. Expect 3 surprise hits this year in the theatres. Of course, by surprise I mean mainly that people (like me) continue to pay good money (like mine) for the other crap.

9. Several notable blogging books will be released, dozens of Fortune 500 companies will sign on (hopefully through IB ). Oh, and there'll be a "blogging meltdown" as bloggers, in their zealousness, make several serious missteps causing some backlash. Nothing seriously major, but they take the halo off the whole thing.

10. I'll get laid.

Geesh Jeremy, could you be more pesimistic?

My predictions:

More corporations will start blogging.

DSLR cameras will gain sales. Hopefully the printer mfgr's will get the hint.

VoIP will make it's nitch in the technology market next year.

Reality TV is going to go bonkers! I'm hoping they PEAK!!!!

Medical Science will make major breakthroughs in Stem Cell Research and Cancer Research.

Something global will happen. Okay thats vague and always a given.

I could go on.. The real question is: Did anyone's predictions from last year come true?
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone's predictions from last year come true?
    In my experience with this kinda things, rarely. Personally, I tend to be right more often than wrong, although I don't know why. The more people think I'm insane due to one or more of my predictions, the more it has a chance to be right.

Anyways, my random predictions:

1) Expect 2 or 3 new Mainstream Internet Things* bundling anti-popup and anti-ad stuff. Webmasters will complain, but the casual user won't hear it. If they do, they won't care.

2) Microsoft'll still do well. Seems everyone, every year, claims that Year X'll be the year that "M$" will die, or something. It never seems to happen.

3) Non-IE browsers will continue to fail in attracting casual, mainstream computer users. Same thing with trying to get Linux on the desktop.

4) At least one computer game will come out that offends hardcore gamers. They will badmouth the game upon release, and cow when its revealed that it sold about 7.5 times whatever game they like did. Odds are, it'll be a Sims 2 expansion.

5) Electronic Arts will do 4 to 5 things that make those hardcore gamers whine. A lot of weeping will ensue, blaming EA for pretty much being able to make games that sell a lot without pandering to the aforementioned hardcore gamers.

6) The new Fallout game will have videos / screenshots available for people to watch. The die-hard Fallout fans will complain, but it'll be the tree-in-the-woods situation: nobody else'll care.

7) I will get a role on Scrubs as Elliot's boyfriend. I will get this role by the producers discovering that I have an extreme crush on Sarah Chalke.

8) Scumbag will make approximately 9.6 trillion comments based on Marathon or Halo. Approximately 3 of these will be understood.

* MIIs - Programs / OSes / etc that a lot of people use.
    I've twice been pop-uped,
    Three times more,
    Never again shall they pop,
    And pity those it makes poor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are sorta back in already, there's some big forums going at theyo.com, skilltoys.net, yoyoing.com and airtime. We all hope the crazy will come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntcheats
    I don't know about #6. I think that Nintendo was right when they said that they don't feel that they will be only be competing with the PS2, because the next Xbox will be so far ahead it shouldn't be able to compete; however, I feel that having 3 seperate Xbox 2 consoles, will cause barriers that will hold Microsoft back. Microsoft will still end out on top, because I'm sure that they will make arrangements to have Final Fantasy as one of the games released for the Xbox 2 before PS3 can snag it; especially because Microsoft played an integral role in Enix's beginnings.
    Doubtful. Square-Enix has already come out and said they are ending all the series that they had when they were seperate companies. For instance they have already said they are leaving the Final Fantasy series off at 12. Plus it is more of a Square decision cause if I remember correctly the high management is still mainly Squaresoft's old bosses.

I'm in agreence with Jeremy on this one that the PS3 will still hold the greatest market share but only by at little.
    Surrix.net: Tech help site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j0n
    I've heard rumors about this...
    I heard that it would allow videos to be taken as well as still pictures.

Heard rumors about this to, but even if it does happen, I doubt it will ever reach the level of popularity that MSN and AIM are at.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS feeds explode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Expect 2 or 3 new Mainstream Internet Things* bundling anti-popup and anti-ad stuff. Webmasters will complain, but the casual user won't hear it. If they do, they won't care.
    If that happens, expect lots of sites to turn subscription-based, and even more sites to keep visitors using these from viewing the sites.

Doubtful. Square-Enix has already come out and said they are ending all the series that they had when they were seperate companies. For instance they have already said they are leaving the Final Fantasy series off at 12. Plus it is more of a Square decision cause if I remember correctly the high management is still mainly Squaresoft's old bosses.
    I find it doubtful that they'll kill a successful series. If they do they'll just develop a new similar one (like the Chrono Trigger and Cross games were). Even if they aren't Enix people leading the company, they will still stick with the console which they predict will get the largest market share, and I'm pretty sure if MS is smart they'll release Xbox first, and will make sure it dominates.

lo0ol, I agree.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sites will be forced to imitate Slashdot and place limits on the number of feed accesses per IP per hour, to avoid enormous bandwidth bills.

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video on Demand
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Something will happen.
    2. Somebody will react to that thing happening.
    3. A new technology will come out.
    4. A recent technology will gain popularity.

When you're vague enough you'll always be right! Call me Nostradamus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - I'll be rich, did I forget to mention famous.
    - More people will move to the mac platform.
    - Thing like cell-phones and such will get smaller, and smarter.
    - Unlimited Broadband will be as affordable as dial-up.
    - 600mL Coke prices will rise.
    - The mainstream hip-hop rubbish will die.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    1. Something will happen.
    2. Somebody will react to that thing happening.
    3. A new technology will come out.
    4. A recent technology will gain popularity.

When you're vague enough you'll always be right! Call me Nostradamus
    Vinnidamus will post 10 gzillion times in 2005.

--ed

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    - I'll be rich, did I forget to mention famous.
    - More people will move to the mac platform.
    - Thing like cell-phones and such will get smaller, and smarter.
    - Unlimited Broadband will be as affordable as dial-up.
    - 600mL Coke prices will rise.
    - The mainstream hip-hop rubbish will die.
    1. Doubt it very much
    2. I really don't think that'll happeneither.
    3. Smaller, smarter, and more popular, yup.
    4. It already isa s affordable as dial up...
    5. Pepsi fan here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My predictions are:

rofl. i like number 1!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be playing Fable and Halo 2. I might also get a cellphone for the first time in 4 years.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley317
    Video on Demand
    Which exists already.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*