0 Thread(s)
    http://www.psitanksdev.com/

don't hold anything back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression:

The header struck me as very professional looking. It gives a solid, clean feel to the entire site. The search in the header is a nice touch not often found on "company brochure" (read non-dynamic) sites.

Overall comments:

-The fonts are a touch bigger than I would use, but I understand sometimes a client like this wants 'em larger.

-Does the footer text (copyright and webmaster) really need to be in bright red? Its the brightest thing on every page and probably the least important.

-The whole site uses almost-primary colors, but that's understandable if you're following the company identity scheme.

-I don't care for the bottom line at all. You could lose it and have a cleaner layout.

-Users often expect rollover or hovers on the links thesedays. How about slightly brightening the td background-color when you hover on the menu tabs? It would help with "QA" and "News" since they don't have dropdowns.

-The left pane seems rather underused on most pages. Also the "BACK" and "Index" text/links are in Times New Roman where the rest of the site is sans-serif.

-The sub-pages aren't entirely similar across the site. HR has a different look from any of them. News has that grey background. There is a little bit of inconsistency, but not a big deal.

-The fancy titling ("Flexibility, Professionalism, etc") is not anti-aliased very well at all. The top header looks good but then why do the fonts in the titling have the jags? Overall I don't care for the rollover effect on this titling. It is unexpected and doesn't really add anything useful.

-I know you have the contact link in the upper right but it's funny how often the only reason people hit your web page is to get the phone number. Why not give it to them on the home so they don't have to click?

-machine.htm: The bottom link "More information about our WaterJet cutting service" is in TNRoman.

Overall:

-Really nasty code. Full of 1-width spacer gifs and rows that have nothing but 15 open and close <td>s. Also it's done in font tags! I pity da fool that's gotta change a color or font size.

-Still it gives the company a professional look and is very informative. Well organized and it serves it's purpose, giving prospective clients all the info they need at any time of day.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Overgrow has summed up the look of your site, so there's no real need to add to that, but I have one suggestion for you.

I noticed that you repeat your javascript coding on every page. Have you not thought about using external scripts?? All your scripts go in one file (created in notepad and saved as a .js file), then you put a command on each page of your site telling it to get the javascript from this file. It's very easy to set up and makes any editing of your scripts much quicker as you only have to do it the once, instead of on every page.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have dropped the back link on the left. I would either have had it next to the index button. Then you could have all the text bellow the menu left aligned. Have the copyrigth and the webmaster thing in italics and color blue.
    Or else I think the page was good

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reviews guys.

Saz249, the javascript is actually an external script inserted with SSI, is there a better way.

also, its obvious i'm using dreamweaver, it tends to put td tags with nothing in them for some reason. i definately need to clean up the html a bit.

i'm just getting into CSS, so i was planning on converting the entire site over to it.

there is also going to be some newer content in the left pane that i haven't put in yet.

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here is how I do all the javascripts on my sites....

Open notepade and copy all your scripts into it. Remove all the <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript"> and </SCRIPT> tags, then save as a .js file....eg: scripts.js

Then, on every page that you want to use these scripts, insert <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="scripts.js"></SCRIPT> into the head section, making sure the SRC directory matches with where you saved the .js file.

I haven't started working with CSS yet, but I believe it's pretty much the same as setting up an external style sheet.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the header looks nice. Looks professional. I checked out your page in netscape and I noticed that you point to a non-existing spacer.gif a couple times. Looks ok in IE but you get gray lines in netscape. And you have images that link back to your main page... on your main page. I don't quite understand that. But otherwise it looks pretty good. You should definitely clean up your code a bit though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you have images that link back to your main page... on your main page
    yeah, thats the top border, the logo links back to the front page, its an Include, and thats why its on the front page.

btw, i'm really appreciate you mentioning the non-existant spacer gifs, i was wondering why those gray lines were showing up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Precisely

Site has a very precision look to it which kinda works with the name of the company.

Easy to read and navigate. Nice colors.

I'd add some menu choices under QUALITY ASSURANCE & NEWS just for consistency. As you move across the menu bar it feels like those 2 must be broken

I don't personally like the rollover to the LARGE text about 1984 & satisfied customers.

Overall an excellent site design.
    Dean-Martin.com Managed IT Solutions
    eLiveHost.com Premium Hosting
    4StateShopper.com Community Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the header looks very professional.
    Good job.

You might want to try out Verdana instead of Arial for the base font.

"Please send mail to the Webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
    Copyright © 2001 Precision Stainless, Inc."
    shouldnt be in red. Rather, make it a cool color.

I see that you use .htm extensions, and that it will be pain in the butt to even just change the color of the copyright text.

You should try using .shtml - SSI is a very kool thing. You could separate your content into sections. Like say you have
    Header#
    Body1
    Footer#

for page1.shtml

Header#
    Body2
    Footer#

for page2.shtml

the Header and Footer will be separate files, say header.shtml and footer.shtml, and to change the header/footer on EVERY page, you would simple have to change header.shtml/footer.shtml instead of goin into every single page and changing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here is what I see.

-I like the header, it is very professional looking
    -About the pull down menus, I feel you need to have a pull down for every section of you site. I let my mouse hover over "news" for a while before I realized that nothing was going to happen. If this happens to a web junkie like myself, imagine what will happen to novices who visit your site.
    -I don't know how I feel about the large mouseover on the main page. I am using IE 6.0 and the "save picture" toolbar obscures your text. Though this is an upcoming browser, many people will be using it soon.
    -Your fonts need to be a little smaller.
    -A "back button" is not the type of thing you should have on your homepage.
    -consider centering the bottom "contact" line of text, and possibly changing the color of it. The color red naturally draws the human eye to it, which is why it is used so heavily in advertising. By using that color you are pulling your visitors eyes away from the content of your site.

Other than that you have a pretty nice "corporate type" site going on there!

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site...

Well the site is a good start. The top navigation is good. But something is lacking on the left side. I feel there should be some type of navigation there.

The Red Cpoyright font at the bottom should be another color. Red makes it look like there is an Emergency.
    Neal Bailey..........| Email|ICQ 54338088
    Biz Websites .......| Lone Star Classics - Classic Cobra Replicas
    Personal Sites .....| Advanced GraF/X | Xtreme-OZ
    Artwork & Photos | Advanced GraF/X - Artwork

SitePoint Enthusiast studio1acom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    Let me just say that your site looks good.

But here are a few things I would change:
    --I noticed that your graphics on the main page have no anti-alias, making them look pixelated. I would suggest you set it to a smooth anti-alias to get rid of that look.
    --Change the color of the copyright section to match the site & center it.

Otherwise, your site was very good, especially the navigation.

--Neal

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

I was really looking forward to "ripping" into your site, but mostly I have compliments....

The banner is very cool...
    The drop down menus are quite functional and look great!
    The roll over images throughout add a nice touch or surprise to the visitor.

The only suggestion is that some of the machinery images seem a bit large. It didn't take very long to load, but a bit longer than normal. Anyways that's it.

GOOD LUCK!
    Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    A website for small businesses interested in the Web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERY COOL HEADER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by punkabilly
    VERY COOL HEADER
    thank ya

EGADD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the header is very professional but the rest of the site is lacking something. I don't know what to put though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Site

Very professional looking. I like the minimal colors, not too gaudy. The menu at the top and the search engine are also nice touches.

The only negatives I see is the blank space on the laft side of the blue vertical rule. I would suggest putting something in there, I know you need it so the rest of the pages look seamless.

I like the look of different fonts. Some people don't. I suppose plainer fonts make it look more professional.

One other suggestion, that's what this is for right ??? Maybe place a "BR" tag at the bottom of the pages so there is just a tiny space between your copyright note and the bottom of my web browser window, well everyone's web browser window.

Other than that, It is very sharp. Well Done!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking site - very easy to navigate! Holds a consistent look and feel throughout most of the site. Some of the pics look like they came from the 70's but if that's all you have it's all you have.

The only thing that catches my eye is the different fonts. Every now and then in your site there are both serif and sans-serif fonts (arial and times presumably). It's nothing but a personal preference but I just don't like it...

Good Job!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by beley
    Some of the pics look like they came from the 70's but if that's all you have it's all you have.

hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off --

In IE5.5 on my 56.6k modem it took a long time to load.

The banners logos are nice and I like the motto "Our tanks..." but can't help feel they could look more professional, for example the fonts could be a bit more adventurous than Arial - what is that 12pt/14pt?

Also the main body text - whilst it is clear and simple - it feels a little lost in the middle of the page. Perhaps reduce the table to say 85% width - it will still justify to the page but give less white (with say a dark blue body background). This would also apply to the title/logo - make this the same width as all the text, which will give it a bit more of a solid (excuse the pun) stucture.

Overall though, apart from the colours being a little bland, it was clear and simple and pretty easy on the eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok its look clean .. and tidy BUT i think the blue color not suitable. coz first word that come out from my mouth is "darn its BLUE.."
    i dunno maybe my eyes or something but i should go to light blue ..pastel maybe.. so it wont constraint user eyes..

(still i got bad english)
    http://www11.ewebcity.com/eikan/
    (just a screenshot for my intranet portal)
    http://www11.ewebcity.com/eikan/default2.htm (old group project)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with many others that your header is great.

From there down though looks somewhat harsh – oversize, too bright, too contrasty.

The larger than necessary text and graphics cause excess scrolling. Even with a fast connection several pages took too long to load.

The limited color palette is appropriate for the type of product and business.
    Lee Nelson
    Look Around everyone’s favorite city!
    iNeTours.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job!

nice job Lucas! Let me congratulate you on your excelence on usability. There isn't really a way to get lost at your site. I do have some pointers. Nice top bar by the way. Your search tool is not very prominent. You might try making your left column a color column, put the search tool at the top of this column and then follow along with a bold title and it's links.

Good luck. Your site looks very profesional, your changes seem to be minor tweaks.

Nu1