SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Does anyone know where I can determine how long a page will take to load at various speeds? The catch is that the page is not yet designed. The graphics on the page will be about 115kb, and I need to know how long this will take to download for a 56KB modem.

Thanks!
    - A simple online WYSIWYG editor for HTML code snippets.
    - Managed Web Hosting - $3.95/month (resellers welcome)
    - Why pay more? $8.95 domains & $9.95 SSL certificates!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it with a calculator easily. Assuming no overhead whatsoever, and perfect conditions, on a 56k modem 115k will take this long to load:

115 / (56 / 8)

So about 16.4 seconds.

The basic formula for finding load times is this:

t = p / (k / 8)

Where t is the time it takes to load, p is the page size, and k is the kilobits per second speed of the connection.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 56k modem isn't actually going to go a full 56 kilobits. i'd say it would take closer to 30 seconds for the page to load.

Jason Weinstein
    webmaster@MaximumEdge.com
    http://www.MaximumEdge.com/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will, under perfect conditions and no overhead...
    Assuming no overhead whatsoever, and perfect conditions
    So you could just say the 56kbps modem would go 40kbps and that would be a more likely number, I guess..

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May sound silly, but.....

Why not create a web page with a 115kb image and then test the page with a program like SubmitPlus??

Of course, Dreamweaver also has the option under preferences to indicate the loading speed for your web page. And even if it hasn't been created yet, you could just make a sample page to test.

I would rather do this than take out my calculator.....WebKat
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WebKat...

I don't think that would be completely accurate as you would only have two connections to the server for that page (the image and the page itself).

A real page would more likely have several images, possibly a stylesheet link as well as possibly a javascript link. It would need additional time to connect to a database and return the information. It might also include time to render tables (but that would be client side).

Still, the Submitplus link is a good resource!
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by qslack
    So you could just say the 56kbps modem would go 40kbps and that would be a more likely number, I guess..
    40kbps sounds quite right (atleast I used to get something like 33.6-45.6kbps connections when I used 56k), however, TCP/IP protocol itself consumes a bit of data for header information as well (ie. even though my connection is 64k ISDN, the highest transfer rate I've gotten is 7,5kB/s - not 8kB/s, which would be the theoretical maximum).

One of the reasons why for example you don't get that theoretical 32kB/s transfer rate with 256kbps xDSL - the transfer rate is usually something like 24-27kB/s so it could be suggested that the actual transfer rate (kB/s) could be (connection speed in kbps/9) or something similar. Just a wild guess though

A good option to consider would be to use image cruncher to reduce the size of images.
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    A real page would more likely have several images, possibly a stylesheet link as well as possibly a javascript link. It would need additional time to connect to a database and return the information. It might also include time to render tables (but that would be client side).
    I thought that the question posted by ~hstraf~ was "Does anyone know where I can determine how long a page will take to load at various speeds?" AND "The graphics on the page will be about 115kb"

Granted there will be other formatted designs on the page, e.g. tables, scripts; but if *only* wondering about loading time for a 115kb image on an individual web page, then I stand by doing this -- "Why not create a web page with a 115kb image and then test the page with a program like SubmitPlus??".....WebKat
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This checks your links, spelling, load time, meta tags...
    Website Garage