SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The importance of MSN search.

MSNbot has been crawling my sites pretty much straight for the last week or so. I'm sure that this is just microsoft just beefing up their content.

But dealing with "normal" internet users on a daily basis I've have noticed a huge tred of people using MSN's search site. Why? Because that is the default page when they bought the computer. I have also noticed the homepage being reset to msn.com after some window's updates and sometimes after a system restore.

Google is SE king, but I wouldn't count out msn...microsoft always finds a way the weasel into the market.

Thoughts?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If MSN wasn't the default homepage on IE very few people would use it. And as long as Microsoft has the dominating OS and billions of dollars at their disposal you can never count them out of anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely keep an eye on MSN. I think its userbase will only grow over the next year or two. However, it seems to me that doing the same good SEO stuff you do for Google, Yahoo, etc. will help you out on MSN as well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    msn would definitely major player in search market. my pages rank well in the new beta.

SitePoint Evangelist davesplace1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing a lot of traffic from MSN, still less than Google and Yahoo. Msn is a strong #3 for me. The new MSN beta looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was surprised when I found some of my clients using MSN search only. I thought all people use google as it is enough!
    add your hosting company and plans for free
    Ahsan Host
    my business site
    Internet Plus

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiz
    I too was surprised when I found some of my clients using MSN search only. I thought all people use google as it is enough!
    I don't... Used to use Google to find wholesalers and manufacturers for my retail business. Was easy and quick. Then they changed their algorithm. Now all I get is spammed keyword laden websites which are just search results of their own on expired domains. Makes the system quite worthless to try and have to wade through these things. Even wrote Google and they said the results should improve but they only got worse. I don't use them for much of anything anymore. Do a couple test searches a month to see if it gets better but it doesn't. Because of this changed, I ended up buying a wholesalers/dropship list off the web and it impacted my business. Instead of being about to find unique products easily now, I have to weed through all the products everyone else is selling.

I have been seeing that there is less spam on the new MSN search engine and since they released their new desktop search, I will most likely be using it for future product development.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The internet changes very quickly... all we know is that the only constant is change. That being said, it is very smart to keep on the lookout for what's next. MSN may very well take over Google.

Then again, some other site may come out of nowhere, like Google did to Yahoo. I could see the "Clusty" search engine taking off as well if it had the right revenue behind it.

Micro$oft has the power to enable something like this. Who knows how well it will work. I would jump on anything that Microsoft endorses... until there is an official OS that rivals Windows in popularity, Microsoft will always have power.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting views on the growing popularity of MSN search. I think maybe Google are adding too many things to the way they work out their rating system. As a point... to do a search on Google for my company name.... it floats between number 8 and 15 ???? Would think that if you werre looking for a company and entering the company's name exactly... it should come out tops ? Maybe there is something im missing ... like when there is a full moon..... sock colour etc when typing my search !! :-)

Anyone know of a site that keeps a track of the most used/popular search engines ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone is underestimating the MSN beta search. First off, let's remember that this is their public beta search, and I'm sure a much more powerful and percise algo is out there, putting Google in it's place.

While Google's approach to search has always been "keeping information relevant to the search" it hasn't been that way for a while. With all of these massive updates, and algo changes, Google is still trying to project what they preach.

MSN I think has a different approach than what everyone is making them out to be. People are constantly saying "oh, MSN is only releasing their new engine to compete with Google in the form of advertising and market share". Sure that statement has some truth behind it, but I don't actually think that MSN's agenda is purely advertising dollars like Yahoo/Overture's. I think the reason they are putting some much time, money and effort into perfecting their new search engine is because they want to actually deliver relevant results, based on a theory different from Google's.

Google says, the more links a page has, the more relevant it is to the search. I think MSN is trying to show people, that maybe there is a better solution other than relying on links?

The end result is that a new player is enterting the arena, and just like when Google entered in 1998, all of the big boys never looked twice at them, because they had more money and users than little old Google, and now look at them. Google is God. Most of those big boy engines have been bought out or closed down because the little guy came into the game with concern over relevance rather than advertising.

I just think we need to pay more attention to MSN, and what they want to accomplish. You never know, they could come out with something totally spectacular, and because you spent all of your time learning and optimizing for Google, and not much time on MSN, you'll soon realize that you just missed the boat on something huge.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very important idea, considering most peolpe who get the comuter for their first time dont know how to change the homepage, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think MSN is somewhere between Google and Yahoo, seems need less offpage optimization than Google, less inpage optimization than yahoo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes inbetween google and yahoo forsure
    googles sand box is cheap
    i hope msn takes them out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the new Yahoo search engine? I see a lot of traffic coming from there recently.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker