SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have an 80 gig Buslink External hd, winxp won't recognize it anymore

I have a Firewire USB 2.0 combo 80 gig Buslink external harddrive that I have connected via Firewire.

Now, in the past, there are random times when it just gets booted from the computer and I can no longer access it. Somtimes, I weird combination of unplugging wires, restarting my cpu, and replugging them in can get it back online.

however, I just noticed the other day that my Green arrow in the taskbar was still there, so i went to my computer to see if my G: drive (BusLink) was there. Well, it said G: Local Disk

So I double click on it and it asks me if I want to format the drive. I was like, WTF?

So I have restarted my machine, unplugged cables, etc... and tried reconnecting it. Sometimes my cpu will recognize it, other times it won't, but when I say it recognizes it, it doesn't show the files I have saved on it. It just shows the G: localdisk and it won't let me access it.

I am not sure what the problem is. I am not sure if there is a chance the WinXp SP2 update is goofing with it or not.

What do you think the problem is.

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bryan.

You might want to try and hook it up to another PC and see if its actually the drive thats knackered. If its not then at least you know you still have your files and that the problem lies with your computer or SP2.

I dont think its likely to be a SP2 thing though. Althought I guess it cant be ruled out.

Mark

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok goto control panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

If your computer has recognised it, and in most situations it will, then in the Computer Management page, it will show the drive under the Disk Management option.

Just right click on the drive and then select Mark Partition Active and it should just automatically mount up the new drive as either a letter or a folder .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh!!!!!! More problems.

Ok, so I hooked it up via USB on my machine and it recognized it. So I went to MY COMPUTER and there was no extra drive.

So I unhook it and take it over to my wifes machine (XP HOME), and she doesn't have USB 2.0, so it took a bit, but then it said it found a MASS Storage Device. So I go to her My computer and it has it labeled as a local disk. I double click and I am presented with a "Do you want to format this drive" screen.

DAMNIT!

Hell, funny thing is, I can't even get that on my XP PRO machine, my cpu just doesn't really want to recognize that a device is connected for some odd reason.

In a nutshell, is there ANY WAY that I can at least view the information and copy it to a location.

I have a feeling that "hopefully" the information is still on there, but I am not 100% sure. Thing is, I never deleted the harddrive or the contents of it.

Is it possible something was on the harddrive on a "timer" and released a virus or something one day and deleted everything on it?

All I know is that occasionally, my computer would simply disconnect from my BusLink harddrive and it took a weird combination of things to get it back online like unplugging the cords, restarting the machine and then replugging them one by one type of deal. Now I struggle for any communication at all.

Is there any software online that can retrive information from a harddrive in this state?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have u tried DOS ?
    i.e boot from a win98 bootdisk or something to a command prompt and try do something like
    G:
    dir /w

if DOS reads it then you can use copy from there..
    cpy *.* c:\foobar\
    don't quote me on that though it's been a long time since i've had to do a copy in DOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have made "some progress" sorta.

I am using this trial program, http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm, which is attempting to retrieve data from the harddrive.

I still can't "connect" to it. My computer recognizes something is connected, but not enough to warrant actually communicating with it to the point of seeing a connected harddrive.

So I ran this GET DATA BACK program and it started out by showing me a BUNCH of drives on my machine. I hit the next button and it ends up breaking it down to really the two main ones. My "main 240gb drive" and then the "drive connected" but it recognized it as a harddrive.

Anyways, I am doing a search right now and its coming up with "something" or "files" Its giong to take 1 hour for an 80gig harddrive, but it was counting "files" so maybe that is a good thing. It was doing stuff like A8 D15 E05 I43 and stuff like that, which I assumed where sectors or something.

I am sure when I get to the point of "hopefully recovering" any files, it will say, "Now pay the 70 bucks to get your files back"

btw - Don't ever buy a BUSLINK product. I did some research last night and apparently there are A LOT of unsatisfied customers. I guess their customer support sucks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the heads up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw - A buddy had a copy of OnTrack data recovery he let me try and it found "files" on the Buslink dirve. What was weird was I was able to look at files that were not in the "directories or folders" and I actually downloaded them to my computer, though a good chunk of them didn't seem to work like some images and an excel file.

Now I am running the GET DATA BACK program, this time for FAT32, not NTFS(sp?), and this morning while it was running, I could see it going through individual files be that of mpg's or mp3's, so its "finding the files", I just hope when its all said and done it lets me access them. PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE!

Damnit Buslink really blows.

btw - Installed my Maxtor 250gb harddrive successfully last night. I am in the middle of cleaning up my SATA harddrive (also a 240gb), so now I am moving all large files (movies, pictures, mp3s etc...) over to the "maxtor drive" so hopefully the performance of my cpu will improve. Its nice to have almost 500gb of space at your disposal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update - I succesfully used Get Data Back for Fat 32 and it was able to recover 100% of my files.

For whatever reason, the program was able to access the information on the Buslink, but I was unable to view it as a "drive"

So I copied all my files and formatted the m'fer

Now its a working h: drive.

Question, does a harddrive recognized all of its sectors and files as a "total file size" or as individual files.

Let me rephrase that.

Lets just say a harddrive has 50 gigs on it. Now, in one case, the 50 gigs could be comprised of ALOT of data but at smaller chunks, maybe 50mb a piece and what not.

On the other hand, the 50 gigs could be used by a small number of files, but each one of those files is quite large, like 500mb a piece.

Will either of those scenarios work flawlessly, or will one perform better then the other.

In my case, the external was not only filled to its max, but because I deal with digital video's that I upload to my cpu, some of the file sizes were 2 gigs and others were smaller. But alot of the content were very large individual files.

Could that be a reason my HD screwed up?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *bump* anyone regarding the file size issues?