SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working As a Web Designer Full Time.

Is it enough to support a family? How much would you make a year? Do you think its worth trying to be a web designer? I'm just wondering if I should attempt it for my future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my stock response.
    Q: Can I make a living doing BLANK?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I do BLANK?
    A: If BLANK is what you like to do the most, you should try that before anything else.

Anyway...

When you say "design" do you mean "graphic design" or are you refering to things like development, information managment, etc, etc.?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    graphic design/ web design

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're in it for the money, I guess another profession might be better. Looking at advertised jobs they pay isn't all that great, and they want more skill than an average person can have.

Freelance part-time while keeping another job that pays the bills until you get confident enough with your skills to either go out and look for a job, or freelance full-time.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Looking at advertised jobs they pay isn't all that great, and they want more skill than an average person can have.
    This is really true here in Lexington Kentucky. I see very few jobs posted in the web design industry, but ones that are posted read something like.

Full time designer needed for company.

Skills needed: ASP, C++, PHP, CSS, HTML, XHTML, Photoshop, Illustrator, Mac/Win OS, and it goes on and on, and then at the bottom I see...starting pay rate of about 11 and hour.

I'm thinking to myself, you want someone with all of these skills (which unless they are super human, probably don't possess all of them) and then you only want to pay them 11 and hour? The person posting this must be a moron.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgx
    Is it enough to support a family?
    Yes, if you're good enough/have enough experience. You probably wouldn't support a family with the salary you make straight out of school, but a couple of years later you could.
    How much would you make a year?
    That depends on quite a few things. Will you want to work in a company as their corporate designer, at an agency/studio, or on your own? The sky's the limit really. Most web designers probably make somewhere in the mid 5-figures though.
    Do you think its worth trying to be a web designer? I'm just wondering if I should attempt it for my future.
    If you like web design and you feel like you can do it for 40 hours a week then go for it. If you like something else better, then go for that. Don't worry so much about money when looking for a career you'll spend your life doing; look for something that you love and will make you happy. If you're that interested in and good at your work you'll get paid well .

Quote Originally Posted by deronsizemore
    I'm thinking to myself, you want someone with all of these skills (which unless they are super human, probably don't possess all of them) and then you only want to pay them 11 and hour? The person posting this must be a moron.
    Usually it's the Human Resources person that posts jobs like that to the media. You're right in that they probably don't have a clue what half of those things mean. I'd still apply for the jobs though (except for the $11/hour part), because usually if you make it to a call/interview they'll tell you exactly what's needed and what's not needed.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Usually it's the Human Resources person that posts jobs like that to the media. You're right in that they probably don't have a clue what half of those things mean. I'd still apply for the jobs though (except for the $11/hour part), because usually if you make it to a call/interview they'll tell you exactly what's needed and what's not needed.
    Yeah the 11 and hour part sucks....and continues to suck week after week when I see it. I want to work full time as a web designer so bad, but where I live there just isn't anything...and its hard to move and get a job because its not really logical to move somewhere that you know is going to have a lot of openings hoping to get a job...you normally get teh job first then move, but if you don't live locally in an area you're not likely to get the job, so I feel stuck here in central kentucky!! Ahh! Every web design job I see isn't paying more than like 14 an hour, its stupid. I guess you've got to start somewhere, but that low? There are a few "development" positions with alot of programming skills required that start off around 50+, but right now that's out of my league.

Okay I'm done crying!

(sorry to get off topic of this post too!)
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore