SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newsletters and Tell a Friends: The details

Anyone care to share some details in implementing these two, specifically how you have gotten people to use them. I have a major redesign in plan for the Drum Report, of which these two features will be essential. I'd like to know ways of maximizing these two options so people actually use them.

What I have right now:

- I have a link to a form for Tell a Friend, as well as a link that opens their email editor: "Want to share this page with a friend of yours? Use this form or send it through your own email program." With appropriate links.

As for a newsletter I'm really trying to think of a non-obtrusive way to encorperate this. I'm thinking I'll create a graphic of some sort and put it down that leads to a page explaining the newsletter. I don't want it to sound spammy, because it's not going to be spam. Also any method for managing newsletters that you can recommend? I don't want to have an email address that just anyone can send something to and it sends to everyone.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, a free newsletter hosting service that provides a subsciption web form for your web site will do for a start...
    Agava Software Company
    http://www.spamprotexx.com - the world's simplest spam filter
    http://dsfilters.agava.com - audio/video software development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell a friend

I use to have a link on a couple pages to my 'Tell a friend' page and form but it did not result in a lot of use. Instead, I took the form and made a smaller version and placed it directly on my main members page that all users see upon logging in. This has helped to generate more referrals since it is an easy 1-step process. The simple form is right there, so all they need to do is type and click send. Even the extra step of requesting them to click a link to fill out a form can stop many members since they don't visually see how simple the form is to fill out.