User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face footer problems in IE/FF - js problem in FF

Hi,
    I followed Paul O'Bs template from this page, and am having problems pushing my footer below my contents (bottom of page). I wasnt expecting this to magically work for my page, as I do have images. I have tried, now I seem to be stuck.

Test page is [removed]
    CSS link is [removed]

1) My footer looks the same in both FF & IE6, I cant seem to figure out how to get it to the bottom. Ive tried everything under the sun, but maybe my code is semantically incorrect elsewhere.

2) Other than my footer problems, Im having a javascript problem in FF. For my clock, the year displays as 104 and the time does not show. Any ideas??

What can i say, im a dumb newbie, lol. I would appreciate any help, though.
    Last edited by MarlboroMan; Dec 13, 2004 at 23:54.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You don't believe in making things easy for yourself do you

I have to wonder why you are using one of the more complicated layouts when you don't need seem to need its features. As your background is the same colour throughout then you don't need to worry about equalising columns. All you need do is float the left and right columns normally without thy negative margin technique and without the margins on outer. You just then set the footer to clear:both and it remains below all three columns.

The negative margin technique is a way for a side column to push the centre contents background downwards at the same time as stretching itself to imitate equalising columns. You don't need this technique and your layout would be simper without it.

The other main problem with the layout is that the three blocks in the centre are absolutely placed and therefore take up no space. You would need to add a large height to the clearheader element to match the space that it needs to fill. Then the footer would have something solid to follow.

However it would be better if you floated those centre elements (I think we talked about this before) so that they get back into the flow. Or alternatively I notice that each centre element is made up of two parts of the same height and therefore you could absolutely place one element and staticallay place the other element alongside thus preserving the flow of the document.

The final problem is that you have specified your centre elements at xxpx from the top of the page but then you have also given them a percentage height. This will mean that the element will disappear up its own backside when the page is resized smaller in height.

Also you have the side columns as fluid but they really should be a fixed width as the images in the columns are fixed. It seems pointless to squeeze those images totally out of shape.

Therefore, I suggest you recode without negative margins (unless you are going to do something I don't know about yet). Use fixed with side columns and a fluid centre column. Place the elements either statically or floated. Or a mixture of positioning but preserve the flow of the document.

I haven't offered any code this time as it would take me some time to do properly but if you can explain exactly what you are attempting to do I could possibly draw up a simpler template for you to use.

Paul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy! This CSS will take some getting used to. Life was simpler with tables, lol.

Well...thats definitely good to know. Thanks again!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Life was simpler with tables, lol.
    Well I think its a case of what you are familiar with and something new always seems harder at first. CSS does have specific rules which have to be learned and it isn't perfect but it can do a good job if you let it. Some layouts though it can't handle very well and a hybrid css/table may be the only viable solution.

Paul