User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CSS and Site Content

Hi all,

I'm just starting to learn some CSS. I've gone over some of the CSS Zen Gardens versions and I see all kinds of "hacks" that enabled the author to do what they did. For example, I often saw the visibility of certain tags was made hidden.
    Here's my question. It is possible to have a CSS website so that when you want to change the look (meaning layout images etc.) all you do is edit ONLY the .css file and nothing else? Because this is the CSS "Utopia" I was hoping for, being able to change the look of a site without even bothering to change everypage. If not how do big sites change layout of their sites (sites such as amazon, ebay, and so on) ...since they have tons of pages they're not going to change each and everyone of the pages (for this last question let's not consider other languages like ASP and PHP).

Thanks for your time,
    --Gezim

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible, within limits.

Many layouts require "helper" elements (semantically neutral DIV or SPAN elements) that you can define style rules for. The base document for CSS Zen Garden defines a number of empty elements for that purpose, because Dave Shea has anticipated the need for them.

If you don't need to change the entire page layout, but want to change images, colours, fonts etc, then it's definitely no utopia. Edit one CSS file and the appearance of your whole site changes. I've done that myself.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane