SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

Could someone assist me? I am fortunate enough to have a pretty decent computer to mess around with, and I was hoping to re-format and install RedHat 7.1.

I've gotten this far:
    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.1-en/

I'm not sure what I need to download, or what to do once I've downloaded what I need. The computer I plan to use this on has got some old data and is running Windows ME, but I can basically afford to wipe out everything on there.

One problem I have (sometimes) is being asked for a username and password while browing ftp.redhat.com -- which only happens sometimes. It's quite odd.

Any assistance is appreciated!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out....

Hey Twt,

Right, I'm no guru but visit this page:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/i...ing_linux.html

especially this:

http://www.redhat.com/support/manual...install-guide/

http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

If you hve a cd burner go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.1-en/iso/i386/ and download disk1 and disk2

Otherwise

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.1-en/os/i386/

And d/l Everything you see. Then follow the instructions on the pages above

If you need anymore help mail me or icq or whatever. If you have broadband d/l everything you see on the pub. I would really encourage buying a cd. You can get them for IREŁ3 from loads of places. Those cheap cd's come with no support or manuald though. I have never needed them and I'm a windows user to the hilt Oh and Ignore the password thing

Sorry if spelling is off.

Bes

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris,

I suggest that you go to your local bookstore and actually buy a book on Linux that includes a CD, it's much easier to find the files to install and quicker.

If you haven't used Linux before, you really should have a book (or several) handy.

The books explain how to install Linux, work with the console, shell programming etc. and can be very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Check this out....

Originally posted by beserker
    Oh and Ignore the password thing
    It won't let me in I tried loggin in with the default "Anonymous" and hitting "Cancel" -- still won't let me in.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, you log in with this for anonymous FTP servers:
    anonymous:your@email

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

try http://www.linuxiso.org

or ftp.valinux.com

ftp.cse.buffalo.edu

i got my 7.1 at ftp.rutgers.edu

get the .iso's and burn them on cd's

cheers,
    elijah john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, downloading both now -- a few questions, if you'll indulge me.

- How big are these things?
    - How do ISO files work? I've never used them.
    - What do I do once I've burned them on CD? And is a CD-R enough? I bought a bunch of cheap writables, but I don't believe they're re-writable.

Thanks guys -- you're all a huge help.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    - How big are these things?
    - How do ISO files work? I've never used them.
    - What do I do once I've burned them on CD? And is a CD-R enough? I bought a bunch of cheap writables, but I don't believe they're re-writable.
    The CDs are about the size of a donut...oh...the ISOs are about 650MB, the size of one CD-ROM.

ISO files are what you get when you copy everything from a disk to a file. So that file holds EXACTLY what was on that CD-ROM.

When you've burned them on CD, then put the first one in and start the install (you'll probably want to print out the install guide). You don't need rewriteables; you're only using them once. Also, it's handy to have a CD with Linux distros somewhere at all times, if only for the purpose of bragging

The Redhat install is pretty easy. As long as you know *generally* what brand monitor you have and what brand video card you have, you'll be fine. 99% of the time it can auto-detect it. In fact, RH7 was the only distro to even work with my laptop's vidcard, even after several days of hacking /etc/XF86Config (the graphic thingy, in non-techie terms).

I hope you do well with Linux. I'll show you how to set up Apache if you'd like, sometime later this week...email me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what my video card and monitor are like offhand. Hopefully it'll be able to detect that for me.

Dang, 650MB? I thought they would be big when I noticed that one was over 100MB and showing no signs of slowing. Looks like one of them is going really slow. If I were on my old computer, I wouldn't have nearly enough room.

Thanks for the Apache offer -- I may take you up on it. I've got FirePages up so I can test PHP out without any hassles, but at some point it'll make sense for me to install Apache, PHP, and MySQL "for real" -- I have installed Apache though, but I didn't get PHP running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

ditto to what qslack have said...

.iso's are image files, what cd burning software are you using ? make sure when you burn them cd's to choose >burn as image and choose *all* files, if burning them on cd's and you choose to burn as .iso then you need a .iso buster to open it, i don't think an .iso buster is needed as long as you save and burn them as *all* files.

if ever you need an .iso buster , email me and i'll send you one of 'em .iso busters.

cheers,
    elijah john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called "Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4" -- it's the default program that came with my new Dell here. Think that'll handle the task? I'd hate to burn 650MB of data and then find out it was for nothing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..that should be ok , make sure to burn as image and save as *all* files.

i'm using nero and the default for burning image is .nrg. sometimes i use an .iso buster to open an .iso/image file, wow you're lucky adaptec is an expensive program.

cheers,
    elijah john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice -- it's expensive, huh? Glad to hear it -- this computer was pretty expensive, so I guess that makes sense. I'm just glad that it isn't some cheap exscuse for a burner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...

I left some of the downloads on overnight (and I'm on a cable modem!), and when I come back I see all three files I downloaded, with these sizes:

seawolf-i386-disc1 --- 656 MB
    seawolf-i386-disc2 --- 392 MB
    seawolf-i386-powertools --- 626 MB

Is this okay, or did that second one screw up? And do I need the powertools disc? I saw it there with the others and figured I should grab it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the program, and I don't see anything about burning as all files -- just the little Adaptec wizard for burning an image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you will have to DL disc 2 again should be around 637MB

Open CD Creator then on the file menu choose Create CD from CD image file.

Select one of your .iso files and away you go.

Once you have the CD burnt, just stick disk 1 in the cd and the install should auto-run. Everything from there should be plain sailing. The biggest prob you might have is with your video display card and monitor. If your machine is relativly new Linux will pick up the adapter type but it is quite picky about having monitor details, so if you have a machine with windows on it plug the monitor into that and find out what windows thinks it is (including Horz and Vert refresh rates)

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have to download disc 2 again. make sure to save as all files b/c sometimes if saved as .iso some files are not copied to it, i don't know why but that is how i do it

i'm using nero so mine could be different, like what sowen have said burn it as an image and i think under options you should be able to save it as all files.

cheers,
    elijah john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I've got both discs around 650MB, and burned onto CDs. I stuck them in and they did NOT autorun, however, I looked at them, and I see all the files I had expected, so I think it has worked.

I downloaded another ISO next to the two discs called "powertools" -- what's that? It was also around 650MB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 7.1 is anything like 6.2 Powertools is a selection of commercial demos/trials plus a few other odds and sods.

Sorry, I was a bit vauge before. Pop disc one in the CD and REBOOT, if you system is set to boot from CD the installer will autorun. If not set your BIOS to boot from CD (normally under advanced options)

That should work, if you can see a file tree on the CD then the burn went OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh...reboot! That makes more sense to me.

Here's one problem I have, however: I'm running Windows on this computer, and have only been able to free up 800MB of space -- obviously not enough for RedHat, I don't think. I'm assuming I can uninstall Windows, and then startup and still install RedHat, from DOS or something? Will I lose all my files?

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, if you did a COMPLETE MINIMUM installation, you could most likely fit it in with 800 MB (just create a new partition though)

Or what I would do is put in a boot disk, restart and: format C: It's good to do that anyway around every 4-6 months with windows..and it's not hard to re-install windows anyway. Since your on a network (I think?) it wouldn't be hard to back up the files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not on a network anymore.

Okay, if I uninstall windows, what happens when I boot up? Will I get DOS? If so, can I run the disk in the CD-ROM from DOS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you ready throw mister gates in the bin

OK, first with windows still installed do a reboot with the CD in and check if it does boot from the floppy. If not create a boot floppy (I cannot remember how to do this but if you need to I will look it up)

If you can boot from CD you will not need to uninstall windows - you can just zap it from the installer on the screen where it asks you which disk you want to install Linux on.

Just copy/burn/backup ANYTHING you want to keep.

I am a Mac hater and err towards windows, but beleive me when it asks you if you really want to delete the partion on disc 0 it's great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you need a boot image

try the redhat site http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

cheers,
    elijah john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live near a college or university you might be able to get help from their Linux club. Most institutions have a Linux User Group and they usually hold "InstallFests" where they help anyone whose interested in installing Linux. You don't have to be a student most of the time and they install it with you so you can see how it's done.

It's pretty helpful for first time installers of Linux since they can usually point out helpful tips and tricks as they are installing Linux with you.