SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like EditPlus (a great overall text editor, but some great toolbars come into play when you load HTML files) http://www.editplus.com/

But TopStyle, definitely looks awesome, i should try that sometime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I use Dw MX 2004. I like how it integrates with flash and fireworks. I think that if you are billing yourself as a profesional designer you need to have tools to produce profesional results. There are people who can design fantastic sites using tools like "notepad" but they are few and far between. As for the rest of us, if we take the time to learn the tools the results will be greatly improved. Another tool I like is Zend studio. It helps to trouble shoot buggy php scripts. When you are using includes and functions in multiple files there isn't a tool out there that helps to keep track of it. the time that is saved will pay for the price. I think that some of us are more concerned about investing money into our businesses. With the right tools and used properly you will make the money back by doing faster more efficient design with less time spent then by playing with freeware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I used EditPlus in school when learning Perl, PHP, and C++. Very good editor for that stuff. I have dusted it off recently and am doing a current site with it again... just a question if I can remeber the tricks I had learned for configuring and using it.
    Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle Lamson

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    editplus is geat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try out html free 2005 frrom www.mpsoftware.dk
    By the same guy(s) who make php designer 2005
    It's free and is somewhat an alternative to dw...

haven't really used it... but it seems ok

http://mpsoftware.dk/htmlgate.php

Michael Pham the lead developer throws in a whole lot of work into his two prrojects and updates constantly... somethin' I thought that was worth mentionin'

(did I just vouch for a program that I've used only twice? ... yes... sadly I did)

try it now, flame me later..
    heh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CoffeeCup is a good program

SitePoint Member
    Germany (in a piece of it called Saarland...)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Webbuilder, free and really nice little helper. This guy has a lot of cool stuff on his site (often including the source code of the apps!)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nvu is about all I can think of for WYSIWYG, and it is compat with Linux.
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not believe in Dreamweaver.
    It is in no way at all professional.
    Why do professionals use WYSIWYG?
    They never took the time to learn basic HTML.
    If you ask me, that is not professional at all.
    Get Notepad2.
    It has syntax coloring for many different languages, and hand programming is so great it cannot even compare to WYSIWYG editors.

Clint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real professionals use vi.

Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wysiwyg

Actually, for regular HTML, which I know quite well, a WYSIWYG editor saves me a lot of time doing the hum-drum stuff that gets done on most sites. I don't care how fast you can type, I can do it faster in a WYSIWYG. (And yes, I am a fast typer also.)
    Then of course there is always Vi.
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftone
    Actually, for regular HTML, which I know quite well, a WYSIWYG editor saves me a lot of time doing the hum-drum stuff that gets done on most sites. I don't care how fast you can type, I can do it faster in a WYSIWYG. (And yes, I am a fast typer also.)
    Then of course there is always Vi.
    Well said. I especially find it easy to drag div layer around to place it in just the right spot on my page in Dreamweaver. Trying to edit the pixels in html is not nearly as fast and easy.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technology
    I do not believe in Dreamweaver.
    It is in no way at all professional.
    They never took the time to learn basic HTML.
    If you ask me, that is not professional at all.
    Get Notepad2.
    It has syntax coloring for many different languages, and hand programming is so great it cannot even compare to WYSIWYG editors.

Clint
    Well I would disagree with the idea that professional Designers who use DW do it as they do not know HTML. I for one know of none in that catagory.

It is the Professioal standard if you like it or not. The reason is as mentioned:

• It is faster, Remember for freelancers "Time is money", so you save time doing basic HTML with it's buttons so you have more time for the specific job per hand and can deliver quickly.
    • It speeds things up as well once you have tweaked it's templates because you can be sure it is not making typos that you may make per hand, caps, forgetting letters, forgetting a closing /, so less corrections are needed.
    • It has some very strong site management tools, which is why I have used it up to now.
    On the Downside however, forget ot if you want to do Tabless CSS designs, that you have to code by hand still and that is the reason I have stopped using Dreamweaver for the most part. I only used it in the code view anyways.

Just because many of us use Dreamweaver does not mean we use it in WYSIWYG, again most I know use it in code view entirely. So you should not trash DW when the problem if it is one is WYSIWYG.

Fact is any editor will do including Notepad, I only tell people, especially newbies, not to use that as the color scheme helps you spot errors faster. Honestly, since working more with PHP in recent sites, I cannot say I have a favorite editor at all anymore.

Kyle Lamson

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Visual person? I think that has nothing to do with hand coding or not. I'm a visual person, I hand-code.
    I totally agree !

I use html-kit which is an open source program. You need to hand-code the copy, but it has an excellent preview option that works on all platforms. It also has a lot of features and plug-ins that make coding pretty easy and fast.
    Find it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Technology
    I don't think many professionals do use WYSIWYG programs. Even the Microsoft site isn't done in FrontPage. That says it all to me about the value of WYSIWYG.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LSW
    Honestly, since working more with PHP in recent sites, I cannot say I have a favorite editor at all anymore.
    Try PHP Designer 2005, its a FREE PHP Editor with syntax hilighting & brace matching. Or if you want a better product & can spend on it, use Zend Studio. If you want it for personal use, you can request a free personal license else you have a 30-day trial before you need to register it.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both downloaded, but have not used PHP recently toactually work with tm... I am currently trying to wrap my head around two different CMS for two different projects at the moment.

I am leaning towards Zend Studio.

Kyle Lamson

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LSW
    I am leaning towards Zend Studio.
    Good Choice. Its a lot better than any other PHP IDEs I've come across which include PHPEdit, PHPDesigner2005 & 2-3 others which I don't remember.

The only problem is that its in Java & uses a lot of system resources & memory.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netobjects Fusion 8

What about Fusion 8? Surely this is as good as Dreamweaver at much less cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eeegads!

no thanks, I have a problem with a program that takes some input from you and writes it in some arcane private language so you can not tweak it and then only puts out HTML when Published.... how are you supposed totweak it for accessibility or such?

Ok, for someoe with no interest in HTML it is as good as any WYSIWYG, but without any control on the output. Deffinetly not for me, but obviously many do like it anyways.

Kyle Lamson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I have Notepad2 installed, it's a great editor I agree on that and I have tried Zend studio which I found to be a little overkill for me, not to mention its kinda a heavy load on my laptop.

I've been using dreamweaver ever since Homesite became obsolete not because its the best editor, I could easily name 5 editors that best fill my needs but what really makes DW the top choice for me its the Site Management feature, it really saves me a lot of time, I barely use DW in design view since I preview all my work directly into Firefox or IE for that matter.

I would love to code my PHP lets say in Notepad2, SEPY, Primal Script or just about any other lightweight code colored app, only if I had an alternative to DW Site Management.

So please if you one of you guys know an alternative to that feature please, let me know.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NetObjects Fusion 8 works well for lots of people (myself included) but it relies on nested tables (and gif spacers) and makes limited use of CSS. You can't really tweak the code it makes (which can get bloated) but you can put your own code in there (also PHP etc). It is a WYSIWYG tool with the benefits and shortcomings you get with such a tool.

Based on what I've read, NOF has a lot of catching up to do if it wants to compete with the likes of DW 8, for example in terms of standards compliance (to name just one thing). I've downloaded the DW 8 trial but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Visicom Media makes AceHTML 6 Pro (also sold as CuteHTML 6 Pro by GlobalSCAPE), aimed at web (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP, and PHP) developers.

My favourite editor and the one that I do use on a daily basis is TextPad, a true programmer's workhorse. Couldn't live without it!

The above products all cost money and there might very well be open source products that are just as good or even better but I'm (mostly) happy with what I've got.

Cheers,

Thorarinn
    Last edited by Thorarinn; Sep 30, 2005 at 10:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stylemaster looks interesting (haven't played yet) - it comes in PC and Mac flavour... that's always a good start.

working hard is hard work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

a quick search on download.com
    i found more new FREE softwares come out

if i am just using DW 3.0 now
    what would you recommend if i want to replace it ?

- wysiwyg editor option
    - non-wysiwyg editor option

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_funda
    Zend Studio. If you want it for personal use, you can request a free personal license else you have a 30-day trial before you need to register it.
    Hm... I would like to you that. Can you send me the link to that page. I wasnt able to locate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Microsoft has released the Public Beta of Expression Web Designer. This is replacing FrontPage which has been dropped. It is still a WYSIWYG editor, but this time creating standards code and use of CSS. When you create formatted text it no longer uses <font>, but CSS inline styles. Once you connect a external CSS, those rules are available to the editor as well.

It is getting good reviews from big name people and worth keeping and eye on. Looks to create cleaner code meaning less tweaking by us. Code view is much like Dreamweaver allowing you to switch between Code, Split and Design mode using tabs at the bottom.

Worth having a look at. But personally I am still hand coding in it ... just cannot trust WYSIWYG enough...

Kyle Lamson