SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought StudioMX 2004 w/ Flash Pro it came with Homesite5.5+.

You can still buy Homesite5.5 seperately from Macromedia. Homesite is not integrated into Dreamweaver, its a totally seperate program altogether, which is what i think Guru was saying, but might have mislead some folks.

You can purchase Homesite5.5 for $99. Its a great alternaltive to DreamweaverMX. I used it for years until I started learning Coldfusion. Dreamweaver has alot of shortcut that i like so it made sense for me to make that leap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't recommend getting hacks.

SitePoint Enthusiast aplusdesigners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite
    On a similar note, when is Macromedia going to make a Linux-compatible version of Dreamweaver? Frankly, I think they're in bed with Microsoft, but they may be tempted to take the leap if Linux continues to gain popularity. I see frequent questions about Dreamweaver and Linux on various forums.
    Well they don't have to. If you are wanting to run any of the Macromedia Studio pieces just put WINE on your *nix machine. Here is a link:
    WINE HQ

Would you like a Hot Pocket? ArunK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a long list of free html utulities here http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/HTML_freeware/.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanMckenna
    I don't if any of you have seen this before but here is an interesting article relating to comparisons between dreamweaver and OS alternatives

http://www.osdir.com/Article3344.phtml
    Hi Jonathan,
    this is a very good article, also explaining the advantages templates can have over includes. Thanks for sharing!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samson
    if you code server side I strongly recommend you ditch wysiwygs

True. I used to use frontpage for my site. (Yes, Frontpage... really naughty of me) and when I got into php I would code by hand in notepad in .php files that strictly have php, and echo for html. I'd usually use like an iframe or something and put the .php file in it. really nasty.

Then I figured I should just put the php right in the html file, did it in front page, clicked save, wham! All the php was gone!

Same with other editors.

Front page is the worse to use though if you use wysiwyg... man it generates the worse code. A 1KB page coded by hand could easly turn into 5KB if done in front page.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalgroup
    How many posts have gone without mention of
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalgroup
    TopStyle...*phew*
    While Dreamweaver MX 2004 is the standard these days, this guy has built one hell of a program - the only thing I miss is C# code-coloring, but it does everything else and does it well.
    He's also the creator of HomeSite and the cartoon Dexter btw, so yall got a lot to thank him for, buy the program!
    -orbitalgroup

I do agree orbitalgroup, but before anyone goes for TopStyle which basically built for advanced users with good knowledge on CSS and XHTML, we need to first look at NOTEPAD replacement, ie, NoteTAB. NoteTab is a leading-edge Windows text editor and HTML Coding tool, and an excellent Notepad replacement. Since 1998, this application does it all to handle multiple large files with a simple tabbed interface, use a spell-checker and thesaurus, format text, extract detailed word statistics, and bookmark documents. You can build document templates, use powerful system-wide searches, and do global multi-line replacements....So no more notepad frustration

- Experienced WordPress Consultant.
    - Get website design done by Anblik Web Design Company.
    - Collection of Top Free Online Website Builder.
    - Collection of Free Online Website Usability Testing Tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me everyone has their program they use. I use dreamweaver and php designer 2005. The only way you are going to find a program you just to going to have to learn on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone needs to make a program with Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG and Zend Studio's PHP support
    My links: [ Blog ] - [ deviantArt ]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I stronly recommend you DONT use notepad. Notepad does what the name means. Its a note pad for copy pasing and reading txt files as well as storing short notes. Do not code with notepad as it is a piece of ****. There is no syntax highlighting (extremely important) and no line numbering.

There are several programmer's editors that I have used. THe ones that I liked most are Editplus for programming and Topstyle for coding webpages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a curve ball ... build your own

http://www.fckeditor.net

There is also the version that postnuke uses called typetool: http://viewdev.sourceforge.net

Its only a matter of time before the competitor is in itself a web page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.nvu.com

Finally! A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver.

Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
    It couldn't drag me away from Dreamweaver but I think its the best alternative.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Eversofts 1st page when doing html/css etc type stuff. It has NOT once ever let me down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1284
    Does anyone know of an open-source or free alternative to Dreamweaver?

I have to give it up at work unfortunately and I need to find something thats almost just as good. I can code by hand a bit but I prefer a wysiwyg because I am a ver visual person.

Thanks!
    Dreamweaver is a powerfull bit of software. Works well when used in conjunction with Fireworks. The trouble with WYSIWYG is you will be limited in the long run both in the quality of your design and code. As these packages are designed for ameteurs who want a homepage for their Dog, Goldfish etc. If you want professional results you need to work hard and get proficient with the professional tools.

Hope this helps
    Matthew Smith
    Bsc,.Dip Comp,.Cert I.T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rueben
    Dreamweaver is a powerfull bit of software. Works well when used in conjunction with Fireworks. The trouble with WYSIWYG is you will be limited in the long run both in the quality of your design and code. As these packages are designed for ameteurs who want a homepage for their Dog, Goldfish etc. If you want professional results you need to work hard and get proficient with the professional tools.
    What's in Dreamweaver that makes it "not for professionals"?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Dreamweaver .......
    ............designed for ameteurs who want a homepage for their Dog, Goldfish etc. If you want professional results you need to work hard and get proficient with the professional tools.
    Oh wow & I thought all these years that I'm a professional using it & so are many thousands who use it. But now after reading your comment, I think that I'm an amateur.
    Really tell me what do you know about DreamweaverMX 2004? If you think its like FrontPage etc. then I'd say that you don't know about it.
    And I'm not against hand coding either. Infact most of the times I code by hand, but I use Dreamweaver for that. What WYSIWYG editors are for is to quickly create page layouts & place controls etc. on it. Then you can hand code to tweak that code yourself.
    And in CodeView too, Dreamweaver is a great asset providing auto-complete features & syntax hiliting & line numbering.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way using DWMX2004 to make your offline site (on your computer) sycronise with your online one? I guess if you upload everything from DWMX2004 everything will be right, but what happens if you start using a FTP program instead and you have to do the reverse?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    What's in Dreamweaver that makes it "not for professionals"?

Oh no I'm being flamed! Sorry everyone. I think you missunderstood the point I was making. I use dreamweaver all the time and it is a fantastic and a professional tool.

The point I was trying to put over was if a budding developer gives up on professional tools like dreamweaver in search of a quick fix i.e more WYSIWYG then this is in my opinion a mistake.

Hope this clears things up.
    Matthew Smith
    Bsc,.Dip Comp,.Cert I.T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_funda
    Oh wow & I thought all these years that I'm a professional using it & so are many thousands who use it. But now after reading your comment, I think that I'm an amateur.
    Really tell me what do you know about DreamweaverMX 2004? If you think its like FrontPage etc. then I'd say that you don't know about it.
    And I'm not against hand coding either. Infact most of the times I code by hand, but I use Dreamweaver for that. What WYSIWYG editors are for is to quickly create page layouts & place controls etc. on it. Then you can hand code to tweak that code yourself.
    And in CodeView too, Dreamweaver is a great asset providing auto-complete features & syntax hiliting & line numbering.
    I have submitted a revised post to clear up the missunderstanding. however
    In future It would help when quoting people if you didnt edit messages in in such a way as to make a new point or to fuel the fire. You edited my message to read something much different from the origianal posting. We are all adults in here and this medium isnt perfect. In future check for understanding first.

Below is part of my original message as you edited it compare to the original and you will see what I mean.

Originally Posted by rueben
    Dreamweaver .......
    ............designed for ameteurs who want a homepage for their Dog, Goldfish etc. If you want professional results you need to work hard and get proficient with the professional tools.
    Matthew Smith
    Bsc,.Dip Comp,.Cert I.T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh no I'm being flamed! Sorry everyone. I think you missunderstood the point I was making. I use dreamweaver all the time and it is a fantastic and a professional tool.

The point I was trying to put over was if a budding developer gives up on professional tools like dreamweaver in search of a quick fix i.e more WYSIWYG then this is in my opinion a mistake.

Hope this clears things up.
    Cool with me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aplusdesigners
    Well they don't have to. If you are wanting to run any of the Macromedia Studio pieces just put WINE on your *nix machine. Here is a link:
    WINE HQ
    Wine is hard - my hats off to anyone that can make Internet Explorer 6 run on it.
    CrossOver Office - is a commercial version of Wine, that includes a lot of hacks - so installation is simple (Photoshop 6/7 didn't work too well I found)

Better still but more expensive : there is Win4Lin
    That will give you a nice Windows 98 enviroment (only works with Win 95/98/ME)
    It is faster and more compatible/complete than Wine but can be much harder to install, and obviously it won't run apps that are not Win 98 compatible (bye bye anything ending in MX or CS or the number 12)

Which begs the question - why the trouble and not just run Windows full stop?
    Exactly.
    But my best set of web developing tools only runs on Linux .. and that does not include Dreamweaver emulated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I have submitted a revised post to clear up the missunderstanding.
    I know & I understand(now) what you meant.

however In future It would help when quoting people if you didnt edit messages in in such a way as to make a new point or to fuel the fire. You edited my message to read something much different from the origianal posting.
    Sorry about that. I edited the quoted message not to fuel the fire. I thought that it represented what I thought you were saying.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Thailand you can buy any program in 4$. <but its illegal>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this - never tried it and runs only on Linux
    http://www.ndeepak.info/stuff/vtu/ginf/

I seriously believed the list of open source WYSIWYG editors for Linux was extremely minimal
    (Mozilla Composer, NVU, OOWeb Writer) but now found this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... into the Fray...

I use HTML-Kit as backup to Dreamweaver. I never liked DW until MX. I used Homesite for years, but the info here seems a bit off.

Homesite was originally from Allaire and was one of the best coders available. It was then bought out my Macromedia. The structure of Homesite was brought into Dreamweaver for the MX series - that is what was meant by it being absorbed by DW. I have heard nothing but the original comments at the time that Homesite was being dropped as a independent editor. It has simply been absorbed by DW and further developement halted. Personally I feel that if Homesite were not part of DW I would still not care for DW..... it improved DW code view that much.

Now for free WYSIWYG editors - have a look at XStandard. Originally designed for more CMS use, it opens in your browser and has tools such as you see when posting here or by M$N Groups. However it puts out the best standard compliant code available.
    Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle Lamson