SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen in a few sites, an ability to send an sms message (through a cgi script). Is it this easy? thanks.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Client side scripting forum has nothing to do with CGI (CGI is a specification for communication between browser and server side scripting languages - CGI scripts can be written with Perl, Python, PHP and so many others). I'm sure that moderators will move this thread to appropriate forum.

But, to the issue about sending SMS. You've got basically few choices:

1. Find a worldwide service, which allows you to use your own form to send SMS messages through them - hard to find, since it's really not so profitable to allow users to send a lot of SMS messages. As far as I can remember, there actually are few services that allow you to send SMS messages through them, perhaps you could do a search at Google for "sms service" or "free sms service" (or follow this link).

2. Start your own SMS message service - this usually requires an access to a providers SMS gateway and that does cost a lot of $$$. And I mean a lot.

And about the question, is it easy, I can say: yes, if you find a service that allows you to integrate a form to your site and send SMS messages through it, no, if you want to start your own SMS service.

Edit: I forgot to answer the original questions
    HighCheats - game cheats, codes, tips and tricks for PC and various console platforms

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a UK based Mobile Internet company. Basically, you can use any programming/scripting language to send SMS - all you need to do is connect to an SMS Centre (finding one is another story). In order to have the messages delivered, you will have to pay a per-message cost which varies but is aprox. $0.09

Interestingly, worldwide free SMS providers are dropping like flies and some of the biggest ones (South Africa's mtnsms.com) are scaling down or delaying delivery of SMS messages.

Ciao

Wesley
    www.airserve.com