0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichaels
    Where do you buy content from?
    I commission articles directly from trusted authors. In one case, I pay my mother to write articles related to the environmental and hazardous materials transportation fields since this is her specialty. I also have her solicit articles from people she knows who are in these fields or the chemistry field to write articles. I don't actively solicit articles from unknown sources (e.g. an advertisement on my website), because I'm worried about how much effort it would take to vet out the individuals submitting the articles.

A lot of my site is database driven data sets, which consists mostly of data compilation. I do most of the research and data entry for these sections myself, I'm just not as good of a writer as my mother is so I avoid writing articles myself. Even though she is family, she wouldn't have a very good incentive to spend scores of hours researching and writing articles if I didn't pay her. When my mother teaches college level chemistry or environmental classes, I will sometimes buy the rights to publish the best papers submitted by her students. The knowledge that I might buy their articles can give some students an incentive to try twice as hard on their paper. Typically I only buy papers from students of my mother's higher-level classes.

With her, I pay an up front advance, plus share in my AdSense revenues. For other authors, I typically pay $0.10 per word. However, I only buy articles from individuals with a respectable curriculum vita in the chemistry, environmental or hazardous materials fields.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Enthusiast Flash_Monster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such anger ?

Funny how when someone puts you in your place that you immediately resort to spiteful bashing. People are not freeloaders just because they refuse to make you richer by having to pay to see something that you force into our faces. You know, if your bussiness is doing so bad that your profits aren't even enough to help you cover the cost of hosting your site; maybe you should consider calling it quits. I am a prodominantly flash-based webpage designer and I've created a lot of e-commerce sites for people in their entirety. I've never once used pop-ups or pop-unders for advertising. I rarely even use banner ads. Simple flash movies in the right places with stoppage options are all I really use and they seem to work just fine. It's all in the design of the page really. None of the advertising I create ever interferes with any of the page content. Its never in the way, never covers anything else, and never requires you to interact with it whatsoever for any purpose. I've never had any complaints from my clients nor have any of them had to resort to pop-up ads because they didn't get enough exposure. Even things like coupons, news, or special deals mailing lists are merely simple buttons that users would have to click on themselves in order to activate. It's my personal belief that giving people the option rather than forcing it upon them has a MUCH more positive effect. See, all the bills get paid, the money gets made, profits still roll in, the site gets its advertising exposure, and ALL without having to use pop-ups. Result = more repeat customers and more positive feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a lot of users who absolutely HATE Flash. Why do you force it on them?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a lot of users who absolutely HATE Flash. Why do you force it on them?
    There is always the option of not allowing flash to display.
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Flash authors would love to figure out a way around visitors turning off Flash ads.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Flash authors would love to figure out a way around visitors turning off Flash ads.
    Why would you want to do that? Shouldn't the user have control of his or her own computer?
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should users have total control of their TV's too? Be able to illegally view pay-per-view movies, subscription channels, block all ads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guessed I must have pushed your buttons, seeing as how u really didn't reply to any of the meaningful information that I posted, but instead continued with your spiteful bashing. I can tell your angry, but its ok. I know your just trying to be rebelious and vengeful,...I can understand you don't like being put in your place. Unfortunately, your just going to have to accept it.

But to further elaborate on some of the information that you obviously misunderstood... I'm a website designer, I don't actually have any websites of my own. So I don't force anything on anyone. If someone wants a flash website, then they come to me, and I give them what they want. Once again, its all about giving people the option. Also, just so you know, I always offer my clients the ability to offer all their services to those who either choose not to use flash or simply cannot support it. The work arounds are not as attractive and dynamic as flash, but it gets the job done.

So before you read this post and start beating up your monitor again, stop, think, and go back and read this again. That way you don't waste your time making replies that could have been easily sought out by just reading the post again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash_Monster
    they come to me, and I give them what they want.
    So if they want Flash popups (of which there are plenty), you give them what they want?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I'm not angry in the least. I'm just shaking my head and laughing.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should users have total control of their TV's too? Be able to illegally view pay-per-view movies, subscription channels, block all ads?
    Why not? Not everything has to be Zero Sum.

The internet and Television are two totally different mediums.

Are you suggesting that the Internet should model it's business Model after Television?

The marketplace is consitanitly evolving. When something is priced too high a subsitute/clone becomes available.

Music CD's were/are too expensive. Hence the mass trading on the P2P networks. If CD's had been prices at 3 to 5 dollars a CD, P2P networks would not have evolved.

Pop-up ads became agressive and annoying, pop-up ad blockers were developed.

When something is taken to excessive, the opposite will occur to balance the excessivness.
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TV is ad or subscriber supported, or subsidized. Same with Internet sites. Bypass the ads, rates and profits plummet, less TV/web sites. Common sense.

Just because you think something is "too expensive" is no justification for breaking the law. People can't justify stealing cars because they think they're too expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way is enable JS only when necessary. I would never trust a popup killer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, you fail to pay attention and post another question that has already been answered in one of my previous posts. I told you that I have NEVER used pop-ups in any of my sites. Doesn't matter what software they are created in, never means never. Seeing as how I give my clients what they want, and I do, it should be quite obvious that none of my clients have ever requested flash pop-ups from me. I could understand how that could be complicated for you to piece together seeing as how you suffer from tunnel vision. So whats the next thing your gonna ask me ? How about, if they DID ask me for flash pop-ups, would I give it to them ? Cause I give my customers what they want ? Correct ? Wouldn't that be your next question? Im sure it would. So let me answer it now. The answer is no. Yes I try to give my customers what they want most of the time, and im 99% successful, but you have to remember, there are exceptions to everything in life. Not everything the client wants is always pheasable or even reasonable, so we have to make accomodations sometimes. Never the less, I don't condone the use of pop-ups of any kind nor have I ever taken part in creation or supply of them.

You know theres one specific idea here at hand, and its the existence and effect of pop-ups. Theres lots of other ways to advertise on the web that have nothing to do with pop-ups. I understand the need for advertising and I know exactly how important it is to bussiness. When I stated my opinions on this subject, it was directed specifically at POP-UPS, not advertising in general. I never once said that websites should not be allowed to advertise or that I don't want to see advertising when I visit a site. The only thing I said was that i DONT WANT TO GET POP-UPS. And dont say "well pop-ups ARE advertising" I'm aware of that and you know very well that's beside the point. I'm sure you understand my aim very clearly,...you just don't agree with me is all. And that's fine, I don't need you or anyone else to agree with me anyway, its merely a matter of opinion.

As far as what CHUCKIE mentioned, I have to agree. Bussiness economy has a way of balancing out things and it happens in favor of the consumer. Why ? Cause without the consumer there is no market, hence the consumer is on the top of the "food chain"
    I feel that balance is starting to take effect slowly, but surely and the demise of intrusive pop-up advertising is near. For example, I stumbled accross a few open source pop-up killers in the process of being released soon on sourceforge that has particularily strong power. It can prevent pop-ups from opening that include:
    Browser window pu's
    Multi-window pu's
    Rich Media pu's
    Full screen pu's
    Mouse Trapping pu's
    Trick name and blank name pu's
    swf pu's
    and best of all
    itll actually shut down program type windows, not of an internet browser used to display pop-up advertising that pop-up killers cant identify. Reason being because it actually installs itself on your computer (without ur consent) and displays pop-ups as programs rather than webpages.
    Once again, way to go Anti-PUC!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by realestate
    Best way is enable JS only when necessary. I would never trust a popup killer.
    I never see an unrequested popup with Firefox.

We may depend upon advertising to generate revenue, however, we shouldn't be forcing things like popups on to users who obviously don't want them. If you depend upon popup advertising and aren't willing to use alternate advertising methods for users who don't want popups, then you should simply deny access to those users. It is a lot less rude than forcing popups on these users. With that said, you would be better off overall if you simply used alternative advertising methods and only blocked users who wouldn't accept any form of advertising in exchange for viewing your content.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so ironic that a Flash developer can be sooo self-righteous. Most people HATE Flash - it crashes browsers, makes sites less accessible, less SEO friendly, can cause seizures in epileptics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so ironic that a Flash developer can be sooo self-righteous. Most people HATE Flash - it crashes browsers, makes sites less accessible, less SEO friendly, can cause seizures in epileptics.
    I dislike Flash enough to keep it disabled 90% of the time, however, I think this is a cheap shot. First Flash_Monster has stated that they don't create Flash popups nor will they. There are very good and proper uses of Flash, just like there are really good uses for popups. From the sounds of what Flash_Monster has posted, it sounds like Flash_Monster's focus with Flash development is primarily content related. This is totally different than the use of popups for to generate revenue.

In regards to SEO friendly, seizures, etc. Even HTML, GIFs, PNGs, or JavaScript can cause these problems if improperly used. Likewise, there are very proper uses of Flash or popups that don't cause any problems. The problem with popups and Flash ads for that matter is that there is no way of knowing when entering a site if it makes appropriate use of Flash or popups or if the site abuses these technologies in a manner that would cause a browser to crash or make it virtually impossible to leave a site. As such the safest course of action is to disable these technologies and only enable them when appropriate and deemed safe.

Yes advertising is necessary to fund our operations, however, this doesn't mean that advertising should be obnoxious or force users to do something. Indeed the best form of advertising for all concerns is that advertising that attracts the viewer out of true interest, instead of cohesion.

Google AdSense is a prime example of the right way to do advertising. It can be configured in such a way that it does not distract from the site and in fact, adds something positive to the user experience. On top of this, because it is an effective form of advertising that does have a good rate of return for advertisers, more and more advertisers promote their goods or services via AdWords/AdSense making it even more profitable for websites that host AdSense banners.

If we are to ensure the long term health of advertising as a means to generate revenue for our sites, they we owe it to our users to be respectful of them and to avoid the use of obnoxious advertising methods that have caused so many users to beg for tools like popup blockers to bring sanity to their Internet experience.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you'd like to see ad-blockers built into TVs too?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TV is ad or subscriber supported, or subsidized. Same with Internet sites. Bypass the ads, rates and profits plummet, less TV/web sites. Common sense.

Just because you think something is "too expensive" is no justification for breaking the law. People can't justify stealing cars because they think they're too expensive.
    No, they make less expensive ones.

If you want to know more about this read:
    • The principles of Political Economy David Ricardo
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy less expensive music then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I belive this thread is finished. It's quite obvious that we have all been wasting our time here trying to educate Dave on some important information we thought he should know, from a consumer point of view. I can see that it was never your intention to enage in a meaningful debate over a serious topic such as the effect of pop-ups. You were never going to consider what we had to say in the first place anyway. Your simply trying to force your opinion upon us just like probably force your pop-ups on consumers. I can see how it would rub off. Well then, enough of this topic. Can we get a close and lock on this thread now ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people just can't see what hypocrites they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you'd like to see ad-blockers built into TVs too?
    I have no problems with ads, whether on TV or on a website. Heck I depend upon ads. What I have a problem with are intrusive forms of advertising that force me to do something to get past them. Whereas traditional banner advertising and TV commercials are passive and don't require me to do anything. Even the ads at the beginning of video clips one can download from news type sites don't bother me.

The thing is as I have stated, and the pro-popup people in this thread find very convenient to ignore, popups and Flash ads have historically caused too many problems technically speaking. Too many times I have stumbled into a website that goes beyond a reasonable one popup and floods by browser self propagating popups that require me to spend considerable effort to escape them or created such a load on my computer that it crashed my browser. Popups and Flash are not blocked because I want to freeload or because I hate ads, they are blocked because too many sites abused these technologies to the point that it was causing me problems.

If you are upset because users are blocking your popups or flash, don't be upset with users, be upset with your peers who ruined these tools for everyone.
    InternetSAR.org