SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Contest Idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contest Idec

I am trying to come up with a contest that will get me lots of newsletter subscribers. The prize would be a t-shirt from my website (CafePress; also see my t-shirt design contest in the Trading Post). I know I can get it seen to around 45,000 subscribers in different newsletters, possibly 70,000. It will also be heavily hosted on my website. Here is what I came up with:

Have a form on my site, with two fields. One is their e-mail, and one is one of their friend's e-mail address. They submit it, the first field gets forwarded to a contest e-mail address (ex. contest@jokes-central.com) and is stored there. The other (the friend's e-mail address) address will be stored in a join address (ex. join@jokes-central.com). I will subscribe both of them to my newsletter. For every friend's address they give us, they get 1 entry. The friend would be e-mailed saying that their friend entered in a contest, and then I would give them an opportunity to enter, also. They can get as many as they can. Of course, a disclaimer would be put up saying that both parties will be receiving the newsletter.

I think it would be good, because if I saw something like that, I would give them every single friend's address I had. But, I need to know what YOU think about it! Does it sound good? bad? Is there a better contest that will get me more subscribers?

<edit>
    Just noticed I misspelled "idea" in the topic title!
    </edit>
    Last edited by Silverado4x4; Apr 21, 2001 at 17:15.

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Hey Silverado,

I like your idea but I do have some remarks however : You say you want to generate a lot of subscribers to your newsletters. I don't know about you but would you subscribe to a newsletter if you could 'only' win a t-shirt ? I wouldn't

What I suggest you make a list of prizes, this will be much more effective : Let's say you would give 3 prizes : first price ( should be really attractive ) second prize ( something that has to do with your site ) third prize, a T-shirt !! People will be tempted much easier to subscribe as they have multiple chances to win !

Now, concidering your viral marketing method : If I understand correctly you would automatically add the friends e-mailaddress to your list. IMHO this has something spammy as the friend cannot refuse to be subscribed. I would advise you to create a method where the friend has to confirm that he wants to join. Send an invitation e-mail or something similar. In that way you will avoid angry people who may harm your online reputation.

A part from these two remarks I think it's a very good idea. I have to say I'm interested in the concept and may even want to use it myself . If you'd share your concrete methods to set up this kind of system, id be very greatful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have more prizes than a shirt, but right now, that's all I can afford. If I can find some people to donate prizes to the contest (hint, hint ) I will be able to do a larger contest.

I know nothing about programming (just HTML ),so I am guessing I will have to do it manually, unless I can find a free script, or a programmer that can do it for me in exchange for advertising or something (another hint, hint)!

Thanks for the input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I would do is drop the email manipulation that you do. I find it very unethical to visit a site and then that site open my email program an "attempt" to trick me in sending a subscribe request. This will turn away more visitors than you can imagine.

Bad, very bad. A link on the page would have been more acceptable.

(For those that didn't visit his site, when you do, your defualt email program will load with an email requesting subscription on his email list.)

CDitty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I'm just testing it out. I don't normally have this on it, but I read about it in some other forums. I'm not getting a very good response, so I'm going to go back to a regular page pop up.

Thanks for telling me it was annoying! (seriously!)

Another thing to add: I just got another "prize" for my contest. I put it in quotes because it really isn't a cash prize. One person will have a text link to their biography on the front page of a famous site that serves like 100 million ads a month. The best thing is, the site matches my sites demographics almost perfectly. I'm not going to say who it is until later when the details are worked out some more and the contest is open.

Should I make the shirt the first prize, or the biography?
    Last edited by Silverado4x4; Apr 22, 2001 at 12:41.