Thread: PHP5 w/ PHP4

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool PHP5 w/ PHP4

Hi all,

I am trying to get my host to upgrade to install PHP5 on the server with the extensions .php5 or the like, so that I can use it on a project I'm working on. After asking him about it, I recieved this message:

Quote Originally Posted by My Host
    At this point in time, I don't believe that we can have PHP5 running with PHP4 on the server safely and resource-friendly. If you could point me in the direction of something that would change my mind, be my guest, but I cannot find too much about it.
    Suggestions?
    God Bless,
    Jake

My Blog -- www.mission36teen.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He could MAYBE install PHP5 as a CGI and indeed you could then identify PHP5 files as .php5 and normal extensions (.php / .phtml, etc) would be parsed by php4... I actually believe he could run them both as modules, just by adding another extension and module to his httpd.conf... But as I said, I don't know any of this for sure...

Keep in mind though, that even though it might be possible, if your host is running a Linux server, installing PHP5 beside PHP4 requires him to compile Linux all again, with different settings (lots of things have to be set of default so they dont conflict with PHP4) which means a lot of work, for imho little benefit (what's the point of having PHP5 AND PHP4 only to compare the functionality... Why not do a local installation of both?!?!)

Good luck!

Quaint Tech
    - Blog on web development and web technology.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you have a point. ;-) Thanks
    God Bless,
    Jake

My Blog -- www.mission36teen.com