SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

password protect different folders for different users/groups

I am trying to figure out a good way to develop a security feature on my website. I am a web designer and I would like to put a log in feature on the front page of my site.

How I design demos for my clients, is I make a folder, upload thier files to it, then if they like it, I push it live.

If the user logs in, and it matches, I would like them to be directed to that directory. This should have the ability to create groups (more than one user per folder). I also need to update the list of users/groups and directories easily, because this is something that can happen weekly.

Most scripts and examples I have seen, don't seem to quite match this. Most of them seem to pass all users to the same directory.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick reply
    I would set up a database with 3 tables
    Table1 Users. This will contain the normal UserName, UserId and encrypted Password fields
    Table2 Groups. The will contain a GroupId, GroupName and DirectoryName
    Tabel3 Members. This will contain a UserId and GroupId for each group that a user is a member of

Then, once the user ihas logged in successfully, you ca get the list of groups (and hence directories) that this user has access to. If there is just one directory, then redirect them to that directory. If there is more than one directory, then display a page with links to all the possible directores that user can access, and then they can choose.

Hope this hepls

SitePoint Evangelist ColinHughes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this script I came across recently, it was more than I required but sounds ideal for what you need.

http://beanbug.net/Scripts/vAuthenticate_3.0.1.zip

Regards

Colin