SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you code all your classes and functions yourself?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 66.67%
  • No.

3 33.33%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to pear or not to pear?

For my first 2,5 years as a php programmer, I've stayed away from all classes at pear and phpclasses. Why? Because my belief is that I learn more by creating my own classes for, as two examples, form validation and user authentication than downloading ready to use-code from the web. Also, by doing the classes and functions myself, I get code that works exactly the way I want to.

The downsides? Slower development, as I have to build core functionality myself, and lower security (probably, at least), since the code at pear is used by many people.

I'm interested in others view on this issue. Do you turn to the web for classes and functions or do you prefer to create everything from scratch? And why?
    //Anders

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sometimes it is good for looking other functions! last week i search a way how to learn filesize from remote server! i can't do that and i have known php for over 3 years and i asked someone in Turkish forums and he gave me a function that works! And i learned a lot from that function. But it is good for use your own scripts, functions and classes... But sometimes things get really struck )

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about a year of experience with PHP, and while I would consider myself fairly proficient at it, I would most likely use someone else's code when it comes to site/page security, as I feel that is my weakest area.

I was initially reluctant to use anyone else's code for fear that I might not learn PHP as well. Interestingly, after I got more comfortable with it, I ran across someone else's paging code and compared it to what I had written from scratch. If I say so myself, my code was pretty good for a relative newbie at the time I wrote it.

I think I'd be much more willing now to use someone else's code because I know that I know PHP well enough that my skills wouldn't get rusty in doing that.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web