SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    PHP extension error

    After reinstalling Windows, I've come across an annoying error that I can't find an end to.

    Here's a screenshot.

    Regardless of how I use PHP (with Apache or CLI) I have this "unable to find extension" error. I've never had a problem with this before. I've tried PHP4, PHP5, Apache 1.3, Apache 2.0 (although I doubt Apache has anything to do with this) -- all in varying combinations.

    Before I was running on XP SP1, but this is SP2. Would that have any affect on how PHP is run? Also, I seem to have fixed the CLI error by adding C:/php to the Windows PATH environment variable, but that won't fix it when I run Apache. This problem occurs both as an Apache module, and as a CGI.

    I need for PHP to work (with extensions) when I use it as an Apache module, but I can't figure out how to solve this.

    I've set my php.ini to many various settings:
    extension_dir = "./ext"

    OR
    extension_dir = "C:/php/ext"

    Both of these report errors. On top of that, I've used both Windows backslashes and regular slashes in varying order. I don't think that matters. Anyway, it continues to cause errors when the path is obviously valid. (Again, see the image above.)

    Do you have any idea what causes this?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    2,029
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the new security (feel free to insert laughter here) profile in SP2. But seriously, they have absolutely tightened up security on your machine but as far as I've experienced it is a real pain in the butt for the developer.

    I've been running ASP/.NET/PHP/PERL on Win IIS for ages and SP2 tossed a wrench into things and in my experience it all has to do with the security settings.

    I messed about for a while and should have written down my notes but... I found that I had to copy my dlls into the C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory as well as have them at c:\php\extensions

    I adjusted my security options on C:\php\extensions to allow IUSR_MACHINE_NAME all permissions. This is probably too lax but it's just for dev and is behind 2 firewalls. I did some playing with security and found that I needed pretty much everything allowed before it would run correctly. ie: read, write, execute.

    Give it a try
    Andrew
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved. Thanks, Andrew!

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    2,029
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem

    It took me a while to figure it out on mine and that alert box that popped up was driving me nuts for a while.

    Andrew
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •