User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stubborn register_globals

Hello,

I've been wrestling with a couple apache/php installations on a couple of linux boxes and have been consistently running in to the same odd problem. I'm sure it's some ridiculous detail that is entirely my fault for tinkering with, but if someone could point me at some common pitfalls I'd appreciate it.

Ok, so the problem...

I can't convince register_globals to turn on. Please don't start out all replies by telling me how insecure it is to have it on

At any rate, I've tried turning it on in the php.ini file, I've tried using the .htaccess file, and since I'm configuring for an installation of gforge, adding ini_set("register_globals", "1"); in every .php file will probably drive me insane. Anyone have any suggestions or things I've missed?

I've been using phpinfo() to check the configuration of things, and so far only adding the ini_set calls has actually changed the "Local Value" of register_globals. the "Master Value" seems to correspond to my php.ini file.

Thanks greatly for any information anyone can share.

-Jeff

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    php.ini should be the only place you have to do it. also, this shouldn't work at all:
    ini_set("register_globals", "1");
    this isn't supposed to work for values set before script processing begins like register_globals is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    register_globals is PHP_INI_PERDIR|PHP_INI_SYSTEM, so you can set in .htaccess as well:

Code:
    php_flag register_globals on
    Alternatively, you can write

PHP Code:
    extract($_REQUEST); 
    at the top of every script to simulate register_globals behaviour.