SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: XML primer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't sure whether to post this in client side, server side, beginners, or web site design, but here goes....
    our local college is looking for a good basic text to use to teach beginning XML where most of the students have little programming experience short of basic html, javascript, and maybe vbscript. I'd appreciate any text suggestions, course outlines, or other sites to get more information (primarily about how to teach XML in a classroom setting, not an on-line tutorial of the language).

Thanks.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey tekkie,

If you are running a course in XML, proably the teacher is best at this kind of stuff. I've got "Beginning XML" by Wrox, and it's an ok book, but it seems that some programming knowledge really helps for this book. A good book I've heard is the Visual Quickstart to XML, giving good concepts behind the knowledge...so, I'd probably reccomend this, although I haven't read it.

aDog

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Visual Quickstart book is good, but to cover nearly every aspect of XML, the 1000-page XML Bible is hard to beat. It's very well written and comes with a great CD-ROM. I have very little programming experience, and I'm picking up XML very quickly with this book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the xml bible for real world application, most of the stuff I have seen on the web and in book form is very general - basic concepts and the like.

There seem to be very little in the way of actual site building help. Using xml with xsl, asp, html etc, etc.

This thread will give you an idea what I want to learn:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=20365

tekkie, quite a few people have posted some good links to resources to.

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XML Bible has tons of examples, maybe a little too many. And as for real-world apps, unless you have to keep track of baseball stats or make a family tree, not really. I got this book free with my XML class (well, I'm sure it was added into the tuition somewhere), and I like it because of its extensive coverage of XSLT (80 pages just for that) and clear explanation of namespaces.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the kind of students that you are describing you are better off going for the Visual Start-Up Guide.