SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should McVeigh's Execution Be Broadcast?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • No execution should be broadcast.

41 66.13%
  • Yes - all execution's should.

13 20.97%
  • Yes, but only in his case.

8 12.90%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why do people in countries where death penalty is allowed continue killing others?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an easy question. It is a simple fact that many states in the USA do not allow capital punishment. So first off there is no 'norm' and or 'standard' for punishment. It is on a case-by-case basis as opposed to a static rule. I find that ludicrous.

The law should be an unwavering pinnacle of enforcement. You break the law you pay the price, No exceptions, No appeals, No "Temporary Insanity".

We have allowed liberals here in the USA to infect our judicial system with a plague. They want to be lenient and 'just'. That Marina is called weakness. If they would stop coddling these criminals and televise their executions, you would see crime plummet. You need a static code of law and static punishments for those laws. That is how you lower the crime rate.

You cant be weak kneed and wishy-washy and expect a criminal to respect your laws. I personally donít care if the offender was beat as a child or sexually molested the fact is he violated a law.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellbent, i can understand your point of view because there was a time when I had the same opinion. I changed it when I started studying people and their behaviour towards each other (not in school, just by looking at them). I discovered that a respectful attitude against someone who disrespected you could have amazingly good result in the long run. It doesn't happen overnight, if we want immediate results we have to use force, like you suggest. Unfortunately force doesn't show good results in the long run. Violence tend to spread... "Ordinary" people are affected by the way their government behaves (like children are affected by how their parents are acting), they tend to become more violent and cruel themselves. And that creates even more angry people.

By killing criminals we get rid of them, that's true, but the ones that are left don't seem to be scared of death punishment. There is obviously something more powerful that are making them behave like they do. Until we know what that is it's hard to prevent it. We will end up killing more and more people and still not get the result we want.

The sad thing is that either way (your or mine) there have to be sacrifices made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sad post indeed.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still disagree. The reason the death penalty does not seem to be disuading criminals is becuase they arent forced to see it.. Executions need to be a very public matter. As a matter of fact it should be mandatory for any american citizen to watch the executions in his or her area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just realized your in sweden. -geez, *HB wonders how much sense his previous post will make.*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived in both Finland and Sweden (in the capitals: Helsinki, 500 000 inhabitants and Stockholm, 1 500 000 inhabitants). The justice system in these countries is similar because both countries are ruled by liberals.

Here is a little overview:
    The maximal punishment for murder is about 15 years in prison (you can get parole after 11)! That fact alone should, according to your theory, make all murderers from the world immigrate and start killing people. The strange thing is that crime rate is low and Iím not afraid of walking alone in the city at night. Yes, we have all the usual problems like rapes, robberies, assaults and drug dealers but people are still not as afraid of becoming crime victims here as they are in US. The average homicide happens like this: two buddies are drinking together, get in a fight and one of them stabs the other one to death. Afterwards he cries in remorse and turns himself in. We have some organized crime here but the criminals usually solve their problems without hurting ordinary people.

We are not allowed to own guns unless we are hunters, work in security business or are members in a shooting club. We may not use guns in self-defence. I didnít even get permission from the cops to buy a pepper spray! The recommended that I should buy an alarm that I could set off if I got attacked.
    Earlier I used to party in nightclubs every weekend but I have never in my life been in a situation when someone has threatened me. The worst thing that have happened to me is being home alone when I was younger and there was someone checking out our house with a flashlight in the middle of the night. It was scary, but I turned on the lights and nothing happened. Itís unusual for burglars here to assault or murder people in the house they are robbing. Usually they run away when they are discovered. The crime seems to be a much smaller part of oneís life here than in other countries. Maybe itís because Sweden and Finland are smaller countries than for instance US, but it still doesnít explain everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is insanity. Not allowed to use a gun in self defense? That is simply ludicrous. I am awe struck that murder only gets you 15 years in prison.

Liberals suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well , they get the job done here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hellbent
    That is insanity. Not allowed to use a gun in self defense? That is simply ludicrous. I am awe struck that murder only gets you 15 years in prison.

Liberals suck.
    How are you defining self-defense?

People can and do go to jail for shooting someone who simply happened to be in their home, on their property, or in a confrontation. Self-defense means that your life is in imanent danger and you have no way to get away.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't watch it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be like a superbowl watching party for me. Get some chips, queso and beer and call the buddies over to watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by westmich

How are you defining self-defense?

People can and do go to jail for shooting someone who simply happened to be in their home, on their property, or in a confrontation. Self-defense means that your life is in imanent danger and you have no way to get away.
    If any man breaks into my home iím going to assume that he is willing to kill me. He obviously has little regard for property or the law, what would make a human life any different? I consider shooting him self-defense. If a man comes into my yard with a bat threatening me I would shoot him. If they were on my property with any kind of weapon without me requesting them to be there, I would shoot them. Get the picture? There are some very bad folks out there and I can guarantee if they cross paths with me or my family they are not going to live happily ever after.

And why would you define self defense as not being able to get away? Iíll be damned if any criminal is going to make me flee from my home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be like a superbowl watching party for me. Get some chips, queso and beer and call the buddies over to watch.
    If you really think that, then you are one SICK individual.

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marina, comparing other countries to the entire U.S. is simply ludicrous. Maybe you should make comparisons to individual states. For example, compare Sweden to Maine. But don't try to compare Sweden to, say, Texas. It just doesn't work. You might as well be comparing Jupiter with Pluto.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HellBent, do you have any respect ... at all ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And some of you are still surprised the US aren't in the Human Rights panel this year ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touche Shin Ma
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I have zero respect for Mcveigh's life. As well should all of you. The man is a cold-blooded killer of men women and children. Not only do I hope he dies, I want to see it and I pray that it is agonizing for him. I can't help but wonder if he had bombed someplace in the UK if you would all feel the same. I Live in Dallas Texas, which is very close to Oklahoma. I have friends whose family members were injured in that blast.

So any of you who tell me i'm wrong have very little ground to stand on.
    Last edited by Hellbent; May 22, 2001 at 07:59.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellbent,

You say you have no regard for McVeigh's life because he is a killer. So what regard do you have your own life if you in turn support the killing of McVeigh. Now before you say its not the same, it is the same. I am not an advocate for Timothy McVeigh, in fact I despise him and am quite willing to pay part of my taxes to make sure he suffers in a prison cell for the rest of his life. I have lived in Texas, so don't say I don't understand. Even in Texas people have the ability to see things logically, to see nothing is gained my taking a man's life, despite the fact he took others' lives. And once you do, you have been transformed into exactly what you were trying to the rid the world of. I again say that I feel my tax dollars will be better spent on keeping him in a prsion cell forever.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I have zero respect for Mcveigh's life. As well should all of you. The man is a cold-blooded killer of men women and children. Not only do I hope he dies, I want to see it and I pray that it is agonizing for him. I can't help but wonder if he had bombed someplace in the UK if you would all feel the same. I Live in Dallas Texas, which is very close to Oklahoma. I have friends whose family members were injured in that blast.

So any of you who tell me i'm wrong have very little ground to stand on.
    Your just sick, regardless of what he has done (oh, and btw, the UK frequently gets attacked) we dont have the RIGHT to kill him, if we do, surely then we should face the death penalty for murder too? no?

If not, explain how us killing him is not murder

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Killing a man like that is not murder. It is justice. He has defied the most sacred law we have by killing men women and children. I do not see how that earns him the right to eat food, sleep in a bed and work out in a recreation center all paid for by the taxes of those he attacked. Prison in the U.S is not suffering. Hell they get cable TV. This man and I use the term man loosely is an animal. He is not deserving of any moral consideration. I donít expect liberals to understand, hell liberals produce these monsters.

And as for paying taxes to make sure this scumbag is well fed and cared for... Give me a break. I think it would be better to make his execution pay-per-view and use the royalties to fund other more important things. His death should make us money, His life shouldnít cost us money. A lot of people want to see a monster like him put down, It's not just me.

Mcveigh forfeited any right he had to treatment as a human being when he killed women and children. He should be made an example of.

Calling me sick while you plead the case for a psychopath is the ultimate example of the pot calling the kettle black. It is not my fault that you care more for the rights of a murderous coward like Mcveigh than you do for the rights of the families he destroyed. Your logic is flawed.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you like 14? Get Real! How is taking one man's(or animal's) life going to bring back the lives that have already been taken. Especially for someone who lives in the heart of the bible belt, isn't it your belief that only god can judge people? What gives you that right? Doesn't the bible teach about forgiveness? Its a little ironic coming from a nice conservative southern boy like you.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two words:
    T roll

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your logic is flawed.
    er......

"He has defied the most sacred law we have by killing men......."
    Killing a man like that is not murder. It is justice.....
    What was that you were saying about pots & kettles?

Think some "quiet time" is needed
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS