SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Affordable Australian/American PHP host

i know this should be posted in 'web hosting' but i really wanted to target PHP as apposed to jsut general web hosting.

i'd like to know some of the hosts you guys/girls would recommend as a reliable and knowledgeable PHP host..my current host hostgator are just rude and pathetic, currently i've eamiled them with 5 queries about PEAR and they just don't seem to understand what the hell is going on..typical PERL junkies who rave about CPAN.

what i require basicly is SSH so that i can install PEAR packages myself and also 24/7 support.

budget is pretty low to be honest so something under $40AU a month would be great.

The site being developed on this host would just be a general portfolio aswell as a live testing ground for some of my projects when im on holiday..

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

currently i've looked at mediatemple and they are way out of my price range but their applications PHP package looked amazing

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard good things about http://www.ilisys.com.au/ (based in Perth, seemingly), not the cheapest but from the looks of it, they know what they are doing.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way related to ilisys. I've considered using their services, that's all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want ssh access to install packages with, you really sound like you need a Virtual Private Server, or something like that. Most hosts don't let you have access to things like that as its pretty dangerious in a shared environment. Probably won't find much in that regard for less than $40AU a month, but I know a few people who pay a little more, downside is that they aren't managed, so you'd have to go through all the setup and maintaining of the server yourself.

On another note, if all your asking is about having PEAR that should be no drama with most hosts (and infact should be installed by default almost anywhere!). If you're asking them more in-depth questions about how to actually use PEAR, unless it's a bug or problem on their end, hosts don't usually help with creating your webpages, kinda like when you buy a car you don't expect them to give you driving lessons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't use them in the end because my circumstances changed, but I was close to signing up with Quadra hosting. They typically have support people knocking around on their forums, and seemed like generally very nice people.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)