SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type of promotion works best for you?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Google Adwords

30 23.62%
  • Overture or other PPC Engine

9 7.09%
  • Word of Mouth/Referrals

63 49.61%
  • Affiliates/Partnerships with other sites

37 29.13%
  • Magazine, Newspaper or TV ads

9 7.09%
  • Trade Shows

4 3.15%
  • Buying "traffic"

14 11.02%
  • Something else

49 38.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metaPrototype
    bro...you said you go to tradeshow and commerce meeting and stuff...where do usually get info. about those events?
    Honestly, I am not really networked into the goings on of the city I live in yet. But I call in to the convention centers (only the big 3 in the city), and listen to some am radio in the morning for the "business luncheons" and where they are.. Like I said, I haven't really gotten involved with that yet cause I am at the VERY beginning of my career with that as a freelance designer, but I am sure there is more than that going on. I will just have to get in with a few local big-wigs and see where they go and kinda mimic their meeting, etc to make sure I am going to everywhere I can..

Just thoughts from a newbie..

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my area some lead groups/networking groups post their meeting schedules on websites or send out email notifications to newsletter subscribers. Tradeshows are also announced a long time in advanced from websites like the City website.

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by createrguru
    I use an online service that is free which is my #1 choice.

For me this ranks above SEO, bulk traffic, opt in lists and anything else.

I've been able to grow my online sites to great extremes where I literally have to hire help now.

The program is only by invite because they want to keep out spammers so if anyone is interested send me an email (with your address), and i'll send you an invite..

Its a gimick dont try it. its not targeted traffic just something else to have to look at on your toolbar. waiste of time I think. If someones else tries it and it works for them let me know.
    Thanks In Advance

David

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word of mouth... I am going to try some adwords too.
    -Lorraine
    CL Webdesign

www.CosmicLotus.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently nothing... my site stats suggest I am getting more and more traffic... every day mostly through blogging and forums yet no one else thinks so... Are you relying on your own traffic reports or sites such as Alexa?

Q...

SitePoint Addict michael - ohio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    your poll has overlooked one option: none of the above

nothing works for me! i'm so frustrated!!!

That's not true, Rudy... your participation here in the sitepoint forums (and your signature) got me to visit your site... and write to you about possibly doing some work for me!

- michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an ad in a email news letter for a topic that related to my site. I think I paid $85. My daily uniques before the ad were in the 2-3k range, the ad brough in something like 15k direct visitors over a few days, but the great thing is that my daily uniques almost doubled to 5-6k and remained that way.

Money well spent.

I also tried buying targetted "webmaster" traffic. That was just terrible. There were no (I mean zero, absolutley none, zip, nada) clicks through to a second page from that campaign giving me the impression that humans weren't even seeing the ad.

Money not well spent.

Mike

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

Any specific commercial newsletter provider you were using?

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my girlfriend (a fashion student and part-time model) to get some of her friends to hand out flyers promoting my website infront of various straegic locations in central london.

It seemed to create a bit of a buzz, but lets face it, a pretty girl hands you a flyer....you take it DAMN IT!

SitePoint Enthusiast Serve Traffic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, ok If I see her I will take one.
    ServeTraffic.Com
    Join our publisher network click here .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's our story. I work for 2 top ten ranked web sites. Viral marketing, word of mouth, newsletters, press releases etc help promote our content rich sites. Over the last 10 years or so we've experienced exponentially growing traffic as the Internet grew. We made a brief foray into the horrors of banner advertising in its early days when sales people for the big players had no clue what they were selling. I could tell you horror stories about buying banners on Yahoo and AOL back then. It left a bad taste in our mouths. About a year ago, our CEO decided that since growth on our website traffic had slowed down (not dropped mind you, just not growing like the old days) that we should try buying ads on Google and Overture. He was completely convinced that we'd hit paydirt. I was sceptical. A year later, it's been a mixed bag of tricks. Yes, traffic grew about 10%, certainly not the windfall he was expecting. Clickthroughs have been modest, though certainly better for one site over the other. Sales are up very slighty. However, the question is whether it's been cost effective. Managing the campaigns has been difficult and expensive. Screwups both on our part and on google and overture have been costly time wise and have wrecked havoc with our ability to track success of the campaigns. We're making money from it, but spending more per sale than one would have thought. In the end, it's still our bread and butter marketing efforts - getting backlinks, enticing visitors with content, using our mailing lists - that are still bringing in 90% of the hits and even more of the customers. So, my advice is to try everything, test everything, expect very little and you won't be disappointed.

SitePoint Enthusiast Serve Traffic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds very sincere, good story SidraG, this is probably true for most people you just have to keep trying, and yes try all avenues and when you find one that works for you still try more because the internet changes all the time.
    ServeTraffic.Com
    Join our publisher network click here .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pr

I have gone through every type of promotion technique. Myl latest is press releases. Using them right can really get you out there. Useing them wrong will make you look like a fool.
    Kevin
    Apache-Forum.com Apache-Forum.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old fashio way.. spend $$$

Hello all 'Newb' here...

A little backgound; My company is 17 years old (MartketingAdvertising firm), so we have a bit to fall back on. We have been in the web developmet game for around 6yrs now.

Honestly we began with freelance market places such as eLance etc... It's tough to get a foothold, but once you do it works out. Not to say that you'll make it rich there..certianly not, but it's a start. You have to look at it as a bit of a 'loss-leader' endeavor. We generally get 2-5 referals outside of each project, that's where it picks up.

Now the money part...

eLance can be pricy these days.

Advertising; we have recenty relocated and as such have decided to have a go at our local market. We're researched the competition and are fully confident in our ability to beat their pricing AND quality.
    I January we will be doing some 'saturation' marketing in the region in an attempt to gain a large market share.

Wisely spent advertising dollars and cost effective overhead and staffing has always worked for us.

My 2 cents (1.75 cents Candaian)

Dave

SitePoint Enthusiast igrowyourbiz.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie
    I would just like to get a general concensus on what promotional methods have worked well for you, so that other members, who may be new to promoting their sites, can have a reference on what has worked for others. If you've had good success with a particular promotion effort, I'd like to know about it:
    • What the promotion type is (i.e. Adwords)
    • What your site is about (all sites may not have the same success rate if they are about vastly different subjects)
    • How long you've been promoting this way
    • How long until you saw results
    • What you wish you would have done before promoting this way (i.e. targetting your keywords differently, or something like that..)
    This way, we can all learn from a central thread - what works in your particular industry and what doesn't.
    Everyone knows word of mouth is the best, nothing beats a referall. There are things you can do to encourage and improve it by there is not much control you have.

By far, since 1992 for all of my businesses (printing, web development & marketing, etc) Direct mail & classified print ads brings the best response & conversion.

learning about Psychographics (the emotional reasons why people buy) It is the most important aspect of marketing and the most underutilized.

results in as little as one day, long as 3 months depending where.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Adwords" and "Word of Mouth/referrals" work really well for me. IMO referrals are the better since they are free and the results are very good as well . I had some really bad experiences with buying traffic .

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz.com

learning about Psychographics (the emotional reasons why people buy) It is the most important aspect of marketing and the most underutilized.
    Very good point indeed, and I wholeheartedly agree. Finding out the mechanics about why people buy is a worthwhile investment on your time. Especially if you sell something which caters to a niche market. When you "speak their language", you can really see some good results.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffykins
    I've found that joining communities related to my websites and spending a few months joining in, making meaningful posts and trying to be a generally nice bloke in the forums has driven a lot of traffic to my sites, which are linked to in my signature.
    Agreed. This is a great technique. However, be sure not to come across as a total spammer. Get involved with the forums you're visiting, actively participate, and only provide links back to your site if specifically asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob
    Writing articles and distributing them for free with my link included works for me. See my sig :-)
    Another good technique. And there are a number of ways to do it - SEO, New sites (e.g. Google News), RSS, etc...

Here are the techniques that have been most successful for me:

1 - CONTENT, more specifically GOOD content. Without that, all other techniques are moot.
    2 - SEO. Once content is established, it's probably the biggest traffic draw. Some of the other items listed below will benefit from good SEO.
    3 - Forum/Web community. It's a challenge, but building a good following via a message board will lead to a lot of traffic via word of mouth and SEO.
    4 - News. Our news section went from 0 to 500+ daily visitors in about two months. Again the key is CONTENT. You need to provide a steady stream of valuable new articles.

Did I say good CONTENT is important?