SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where To Hire Low Cost PHP Programmers?

I'm on a tight budget and I was wondering where I could go to to hire a PHP programmer for my web site?

I heard from some people that you could hire someone from some parts of europe or asia for very little money. Do you know how to do that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

Quote Originally Posted by raydenx
    I'm on a tight budget and I was wondering where I could go to to hire a PHP programmer for my web site?
    It depends on the complexity of the site and the amount you are willing to spend as to what hiring strategy to use. Generally though you should not underspend. Experienced software developers are usually productive out of all proportion to their payscales.

Also how well you are served by this process usually depends on how well you can communicate with the person implementing the site. Face to face contact is preferable, so you should always hire someone local if you can.

Blindly off-shoring because it is cheaper is an excellent way to throw your money away.

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I can't even find high-cost PHP programmers and I'm in San Francisco. Everyone we interview basically hasn't had real php programming experience or has little to no SQL background.

-davidu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... i need someone to modify my existing code that I wrote for some enhancements. maybe i should look for local ones? i remember when i was in school they don't teach PHP, i learnt PHP by visiting forums and asking questions, reading tutorials...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's actually quite a lot of people where I live (Sri Lanka) who charge considerably less than the usual fee.
    The thing is, if they charge less, it usually means they don't know exactly what they're doing...so what sort of code are you talking about?

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, aren't PHP programmers almost per DEFINITION low-cost? I mean, to find a low-cost PHP programmer you just find some who is young, has no formal computer science education and who has little experience with other languages, which pretty much equates to, well, 95% of all the people that know PHP.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard from some people that you could hire someone from some parts of europe or asia for very little money. Do you know how to do that?
    Have you tried SitePoint's Community Marketplace, or whtever it's called?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think u could hire a programmer from europe for less money....
    100 euro = 132 us dollar
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the budget?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raydenx,
    I'll allow this thread as long as you only discuss the principlesm around this.
    I you are trying to hire someone, then you'll have to ask in the Looking To Hire forum.

-Helge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raydenx,
    I'll allow this thread as long as you only discuss the principlesm around this.
    I you are trying to hire someone, then you'll have to ask in the Looking To Hire forum.
    thanks for telling me that there is actually a forum to hire people from sitepoint. I was asking where do people go around hiring php programmers and not using this post to hire them. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobi
    There's actually quite a lot of people where I live (Sri Lanka) who charge considerably less than the usual fee.
    The thing is, if they charge less, it usually means they don't know exactly what they're doing...so what sort of code are you talking about?
    i am looking for someone to help me create search engine friendly URLs for my web site...

currently my forums pages are like forum_topic.php?topic_id=3535235 i would prefer it to be forum/353523/ if you know what i mean? it shouldn't be that hard to do. just a little mod_rewrite and some simple PHP right?

i just can't spare the time to do it lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    Um, aren't PHP programmers almost per DEFINITION low-cost? I mean, to find a low-cost PHP programmer you just find some who is young, has no formal computer science education and who has little experience with other languages, which pretty much equates to, well, 95% of all the people that know PHP.
    Yeah, that's true except we have a rather large web application that was started out in C.

It's since been ported almost fully to PHP with small bits in C and mod_perl which we haven't yet finished porting.

We use a lot of "advanced" php like large 1-2gig shared memory segments to shortcut mysql (a kind of sql cache system we built). We also want to write a couple of php extensions in C for speed optimizations of some of our algorithms. We wrote them in PHP when we ported but they are slow and we'd like to use the original C again in some places.

So basically, you are right however we've been looking for advanced programmers who *also* know PHP and just haven't been finding them. They know java/struts and they know C but they don't know PHP and they don't know the basics of web programming. We know it, so we know there are others out there...

Final note -- it isn't like we won't pay for the right candidate either. If we found the right person, they would probably get the salary they asked for.

-davidu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

...has no formal computer science education and who has little experience with other languages, which pretty much equates to, well, 95% of all the people that know PHP.
    That's changing really fast. I was at the London XPDay 2003 in a mock objects seminar. Either of those circumstances would count as a pretty rarified atmosphere. Of just over 100 respondents, 7 were using PHP. At XPDay 2004 I bumped into at least that many just walking around. That included several of the speakers.

Another indication is the job market. I currently get an offer every couple of weeks or so and none of them have been less than lead developer/architect roles at 60K+ ukpounds. I like where I am and so have to pass these on to http://www.phplondon.org/, but it's an indication that PHP is starting to span a broader range.

So maybe only 94% .

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try your local University or College - I fliers up in the IT room, and sometimes I get calls from PHP programmers who want to make money, and improve their portfolio. I make a deal with them to pay them a set amount and allow them to use the code in their portfolio, but they must agree to spend a set amount of time on the code and they must allow me to make modifications to the code, but they get to keep the code they wrote -- if the code is well-written, effective and "OO" they get a small bonus... especally if the client is happy -- Its a great way of getting cheap PHP labour.

But bewarned, their coding can be very sloppy, and very inexperienced. But if you give them enough time and, if your lucky, you will start a network of "freelancers" who you can call upon at any time... your network of talent will have started!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    So maybe only 94%
    Hehe.

My point being is that PHP is THE amateur programming language of choice. It doesn't really matter if half of the pros out there know it, because they are so overshadowed by the sheer volume of designers, grandmothers and 13-years olds that have picked it up to create their own simple CMS.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Evangelist vikrantkorde's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

hey raydenx,

If you are really looking for PHP programmers you will definately find those in INDIA.

[Advisor edit] You are not allowed to make such offer here[/Advisor edit]
    Vikrant Korde
    S Y S T I M E, Mhape,
    Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raydenx has posted a thread in the Looking To Hire forum. If you have any offer to make, do it there.

In this thread you're only allowed to discuss topics like "Where to hire Low Cost PHP Programmers?" and "Is PHP is THE amateur programming language of choice?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is THE amateur programming language of choice
    absolutely , constructive as usual Mattias

me wonders what the .favourite language of smart-arses is ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Marcus 100% - things are changing fast, and no doubt PHP5, the SPL and the advanced PHP forum on here, and organizations such as Yahoo and Friendster moving over to PHP are not going to hurt that at all. I find it interesting to see more and more PHP being deployed outside the web environment too - networking, for example.

Still I see so much poor PHP code being written that I can't entirely disagree with Matthias, and I doubt I ever will be able to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can abuse php just because you can always read the source, but it's a general rule: 80% of code is rubbish. Always. In any language. If you ever saw Windows(tm) sources, you would probably consider C to be a "grandma's language N 1"...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firepages
    absolutely , constructive as usual Mattias

me wonders what the .favourite language of smart-arses is ?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you disagreeing with me that PHP is the #1 language of choice among non-professional programmers?
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you disagreeing with me that PHP is the #1 language of choice among non-professional programmers?
    I agree fully, and let me add that not only are most PHP programmers uneducated idiots, but .NET is the leading choice among Nobel laureates and super heroes.

--ed

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidu
    Heh, I can't even find high-cost PHP programmers and I'm in San Francisco. Everyone we interview basically hasn't had real php programming experience or has little to no SQL background.

-davidu
    Along those lines (and I'm trying to be slightly on-topic with this thread ) anyone know where you can find higher quality PHP programmers? IE, the flipside.