SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can an online database be adapted as a local database?

what happens if I want to have a database on my own local computer, same as a MySql database but I don't want it online because it's just some local stuff only I need to know and manage. But I want to be able to use MySQL because this is the one I'll be learning for web purposes. Can a MySql database system be easily adapted to perform as a local database tool, and would I need a server or anything? The application is an insurance catalogue containing a listing of personal possessions.

I'd rather implement my own custom database rather than purchase an off the shelf product.

SitePoint Evangelist Tecknowjnkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI There

Yes, your local install can be used for your PC, environment testing or whatever you would like it for. I recently began in MySql - PHP and can not believe I ignored it for so long. Try using this tool MySQL Administrator as your admin for all your MySql DBs, online and local alike. You can download this at mysql.com . It is a gui that allows you to properly manage and maintain them. http://www.mysql.com/products/administrator/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand there's quite a few of those admin tools available, do you like that one the best?

Thanks you've answered my question. I'm sure there's a lot more detail I need to get a grip on as I haven't even taken the plunge to create my website DBs yet for my commercial online venture but intend to do that, then after I've discovered some will approach my offline management side of things, constructing with new knowledge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj
    what happens if I want to have a database on my own local computer, same as a MySql database but I don't want it online because it's just some local stuff only I need to know and manage. But I want to be able to use MySQL because this is the one I'll be learning for web purposes. Can a MySql database system be easily adapted to perform as a local database tool, and would I need a server or anything? The application is an insurance catalogue containing a listing of personal possessions.

I'd rather implement my own custom database rather than purchase an off the shelf product.
    Yeah, you can use MySQL as a desktop database. This is usually the type of thing Access is used for, but if you are more comfortable with MySQL then go for it. You can also use Access as a front-end for your MySQL database if you set up ODBC correctly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as there are no major distinct disadvantages to using My Sql which one of the things I was concerned is it's intended for online dispersal and needed clarification that it's just as suitable and robust as a local DB. Seems that it is, I shall proceed and undoubtedly more questions will arise. So I'll probably keep it unilateral, but will one day investigate 'hybridising' different ones as you suggest and see if there's benefits there. Often hybrids of things is the best outcome.