SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forms w/ PHP(Forms/Paperwork)

Okay I have many questions im going be need answered but consider the following:
    I have a basic understanding of PHP and mySQL
    I am running a site for our band for fun, but will soon be getting payed for running it. www.mplionhearts.com

Our band director wants to allow all the registration to be done online (including payment), payment might require a different question so I'll leave that out for now. However how can I convert paper forms to internet forms that people can fill out and submit (but still have it look like the form) . Also is it possible to keep the format of the form once the info is submitted, can I have it save a file with the info inserted into the apporpiate spots. I wont need to do this on everything, somethings can be inserted into a database I may need guidance on that too. Anyways if any of these questions can be answered, its really important to me so let me know!

Thanks!
    ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think there is a way of actually 'converting them' but that said its not hard to set up a simeple form in PHP, what do you mean by keeping the format of the form once it has been filled it..... Do you mean like an actual copy of it that contains the filled in details?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can style forms using CSS.. I have seen this before (a form that looked JUST like a paper form on a website) but I can't recall where that was..

Using CSS consider the following:

Scan the (paper) form. Remove all the form fields (using Photoshop) and use the paper as a background image.

Use CSS (or if you're more comfortable with it: Tables) to position form fields on the correct places. Use CSS to size them: <INPUT TYPE=text NAME=firstname STYLE="width: 100px;"> so that they fit your background image.

Use CSS to disable all borders except for a solid black line (2px?) or whatever formatting your paper-form has.

Use CSS to adjust the font for the form. Maybe a sort of typewriter font? Maybe a (easy to read) handwriting font?

Experiment...

Quaint Tech
    - Blog on web development and web technology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay so I can use CSS to style it, but now I would need to know the php to recieve and deal with the data? Here lets start simple, say I have 15 fields that need to be filled out, so once a person completely fills it out and hits submit it creates a file with 15 rows each row is one of the spaces they filled in, thats just very basic but its a starting point.

actually i found an excellent starting place! http://www.koivi.com/fill-pdf-form-fields/

if anyone can expand to make things better feel free, ill try and figure this out in the meantime.
    ]