SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.

I've got another question !

Well, I'm interesting in software for serving advertising to users. For those out there who sell their own advertising, what software / cgi do you use to track and record the impressions, CTR and more? I know that a lot of advertisers want a good program (which cannot be hacked etc), so they know they are getting what they paid for.

I've heard of spinbox, but they are up in the $5000 dollar range - and even though the site I run serves 250k / month in impressions, we cannot afford that

I know SitePoint is using a MyComputer.com service, but when I looked on the MyComputer.com web-site, I could not find any mention of it anywhere.

I understand that when approaching potential advertisers you should say "we use x software, blah blah blah, to serve your adverts...etc".

So basically, all I'd like to know is what any of you use to serve your "sold" inventory?

I'm sorry if this is a little difficult to understand in any way at all, please forgive me

Thanks.
    Paul Tomlinson
    SimRacingWorld Network - http://www.simracingworld.com
    SimRacingWorld - Advertise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spinbox has a remotely-hosted solution for small-medium sites that is far more affordable, and diesn't require that you purchase any hardware from the firm. Check out "Virtual Spinbox" here:
    http://www.spinbox.com/products/vbox.html

Personally, though, I use AdCycle (adcycle.com), which is a well-established and scalable program that offers all of the reporting, tracking and targeting features that advertisers and publishers expect. While not the highest-end application on the market, AdCycle is easily powerful enough to serve your 250,000 monthly impressions.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to make my own right now, a PHP/mySQL solution. The site I'm building got a box on the left, that randomly generates onresponse/cj links with descriptions.

On the box I will place one thubs-down icon (http://geekvillage.com/ubb/icons/icon13.gif) and one thumbs up icon (http://geekvillage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif). A mousover javascript popps up a small description when you move your mouse over them:

"I hate this kind of link - get it out of my face!"

"This link was kind of interesting, show more of this."

The script would then prioritize links based on what the user thinks. Do you think users would actually click?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use, as many of you already know, AdvertPRO @ www.advertpro.com - while maybe a bit on the pricy side for the small amount of inventory you serve up, it is a great solution for higher-traffic web properties.

I agree with Czar in recommending AdCycle for you - the software is powerful, easy to install and has a multitude of features - should be great to get you started!

Have a great day,

Mike
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, you've been a great help.

I took a look at AdCycle and I was quite impressed with what I saw, so I am definately going to try it out for a month.

With our current site we have to run a 468x60 advert at the top (requirements of the host), and we run another 468x60 advert at the bottom of the page (which is ValueClick). We've recently started to put 120x600 adverts down the right side, and are looking to try and sell our first piece of advertising Because the site is highly targetted, I'm hoping it won't be too much of a problem.

As it's our first venture into "paid" advertising, I think we'll go quite cheap (about $3 - 4 CPM). Do you think this is sensible?

As I say, it looks like AdCycle could be for us, so I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks again

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a highly targeted audience, $3-$4 CPM is very fair to charge your advertisers. Good luck!

Have a great day,

Mike
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com