SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Backlinker1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative Subscription Plans

Not really sure if this belongs here or in Business and legal issues.

I run a small group of sites that have an annual membership subscription. this is working tolerably well but falls down badly because the subscriptions are taken by credit card ( paypal ).

Paypal recurring subscriptions, like all such things, are tied to the card number rather than the individual and since cards are only valid for two years the system basically does not work very well.

We are UK based. UK banks have something called a standing order. A member could fill in a form which I would send to my bank and they would take the payments from the members bank account on an annual basis.

This seems like a better idea to me, people would not change banks all that often and if they did then standing orders are likely to move with them. On top of that there would be no charges ( I think ).

Does anyone know the answer to the following questions.... ?

1... Could I put a form on my site for people to fill in that I could then send off to my bank ( ie, no real signature ) or would they need to print it off and post it ?

2... Half my membership is overseas ( mostly USA and Australia ) is there an equivelent system in these countries to do this ?

3... Does anyone have alternative ideas for getting around this ? ( it is occuring to me as I write this that idiots could just fill in any old crap on these forms, or even put other peoples details etc )

Graham
    Regards. Graham
    Buy, Sell, Talk And Learn About Antique British Ceramics.
    Abcir.org -
    Ceramtique.com - AbcirGroupForums.co.uk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Backlinker1
    Not really sure if this belongs here or in Business and legal issues.

I run a small group of sites that have an annual membership subscription. this is working tolerably well but falls down badly because the subscriptions are taken by credit card ( paypal ).

Paypal recurring subscriptions, like all such things, are tied to the card number rather than the individual and since cards are only valid for two years the system basically does not work very well.

We are UK based. UK banks have something called a standing order. A member could fill in a form which I would send to my bank and they would take the payments from the members bank account on an annual basis.

This seems like a better idea to me, people would not change banks all that often and if they did then standing orders are likely to move with them. On top of that there would be no charges ( I think ).

Does anyone know the answer to the following questions.... ?

1... Could I put a form on my site for people to fill in that I could then send off to my bank ( ie, no real signature ) or would they need to print it off and post it ?

2... Half my membership is overseas ( mostly USA and Australia ) is there an equivelent system in these countries to do this ?

3... Does anyone have alternative ideas for getting around this ? ( it is occuring to me as I write this that idiots could just fill in any old crap on these forms, or even put other peoples details etc )

Graham

In USA u can use ACH system i think, what about in AU i dont know...