SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just re-developed my school site usign PHp / MySQL etc etc, however we want to be found by ex-pupils, parents etc etc.

Aside from us flashing the address in front of all we meet, I'm not too sure about the Search Engines. We need a good ranking, but as we are a school site the first 250 words a sipder see contain everything from engish, science, maths to physics, geography, humanities, improving your it skills and writing Javascript - Oh Dear! Thats not mentioning the keywords, containing everything.

I'm not prepared to add a splash page, and changing the order / layout of the page is not an option. So how do I make the search give us a good ranking, and how can kids, parents and ex-pupils find us??

Rick
    RBoycey

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't be that hard.

People who want to find you aren't going to type "School site" into a search engine.

They're going to type the name of your school - whatever that is.

So if your page title is your school name and your domain is your school name that should be enough for you to show up top or in the first few depending on how common a name your school has.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the name is All Hallows, the most common name ever!

We can't find a domain like all hallows because there all taken with stuff like religious sites, *hmmm*, so were stuck with something like allhallows.lancs.sch.uk - typical =@(

Well thankz anyway, rick =@)
    RBoycey