SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put data into spreadsheet first?

when preparing the info to go into a database (for a store/inventory) is it best to put them into a spreadsheet first with all the criteria tabled out and then export that format into a server-side database? Is this a seamless and good process? I am just familiar with flat database/spreadsheet as it is helping me to refine my schema and the content, so I will end up with spreadsheet files and wondering if these will be compatible or if I'll have to do something else to the data from here to a final online database. Or if this is double-handling I can ditch the spreadsheet? (after all the data is properly tabled into its final format?)

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it works for you then it is not a bad method at all. Sometimes when I am given data to be put into a db if it is in the right format I'll put it into a spreadsheet first (so I can play with the data if necessary) and then export it into a csv file for import into a database either through phpmyadmin or a php script I wrote (if more playing is required).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so if you get all the data correct in the spreadsheet then you can easily merge it into the database but you need to create a new temporary file called a cvs file. I'm not that familiar with csv, does this separate all the separate spreadsheet cells data using a comma.

That's good, my hunch was that using a spreadsheet first would possibly be a good method for a beginner database programmer (which I am) and I have essentially no database experience. I thought it allows me to combine all my data similar to a database structure (the records etc). Once I have everything set up then I would imagine I can modify my databases more casually and quickly and directly (using an administration interface) rather than using a spreadsheet, I'm assuming. I just didn't want to do a process that was going to create a lot more time and work.

Thanks Stymiee.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj
    so if you get all the data correct in the spreadsheet then you can easily merge it into the database but you need to create a new temporary file called a cvs file. I'm not that familiar with csv, does this separate all the separate spreadsheet cells data using a comma.
    That's all it is. Pretty straight forward and easy to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj
    Thanks Stymiee.
    Anytime.