SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Fastclick Usage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fastclick Usage

I have a couple questions on where it is OK to use fastclick ads.

First, is it fine to have them in a frame at the top of the page, while the frame that takes up the rest of the page contains an offsite URL?

Second, is it OK to have an ad on a page with a meta redirect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should email your questions to Fastclick and ask them. No one here can give you a definitive answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I just thought I would try here first since they won't answer until tomorrow.

Thanks

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im pretty sure that the meta redirect is a no no. Could depend on how you use it. if you are refreshing your ad every x seconds, you definately cant do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the meta redirect I was just planning on having it on the page for a couple seconds before redirecting to an off site page.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_
    for the meta redirect I was just planning on having it on the page for a couple seconds before redirecting to an off site page.
    I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. For all of these think about it from an advertiser's perpective. Do you want your ad to be shown only 1-2 seconds? No, you wouldn't. For that reason it probably isn't allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, but if you think about other programs like adsense, would you want adsense to be able to be used as a default? I would.
    Which is why I asked, you never know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, but if you think about other programs like adsense, would you want adsense to be able to be used as a default? I would.
    Which is why I asked, you never know.
    If I were an advertiser I would never want my ad shown as a default. I'd like to grab all of the "good" impressions and not get stuck with the impressions of visitors from the Ukraine who are on their 31st page view and likely would not click on my ad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but then again it could drive away sites that could hand them thousands of impressions as a default, but that person refuses to use them since they would only use them as a default.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but then again it could drive away sites that could hand them thousands of impressions as a default, but that person refuses to use them since they would only use them as a default.
    It depends on how the advertiser wants to play it. If they want to focus on getting the biggest bang for the buck then they would be selective. If they're just desperate for some clicks they'll go your route. The point is that if you as a publisher go against guidelines you'll be hurting the first advertiser and helping the second. If you follow FC's guidelines you'll be helping the first and just underusing the second advertiser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well anyway, my point is, I'm waiting to see what fastclick says because you never know. And if I have to I can just run some azoogle ads on the redirect page since those are CPA.

But as far as the frame goes, I can't think why they wouldn't want it. The ad stays at the top of the page so the visitor can constantly see it when they're there.

Thanks though zach, that's an interesting point of view