SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is the right forum, but this is where most people seem to ask if it's possible to install several versions of IE at once.

I didn't think it was possible until I came across this in today's access magazine, published weekly in many US newspapers and available on the Internet at http://www.accessmagazine.com.

This except might interest most of you here:

[excerpt]
    [...]
    You can keep multiple versions of Internet Explorer for Mac on the same machine in different folders. IE for Windows is a bit trickier. Before version 5, it wasn't possible to have multiple versions running on the same computer. With IE5, Microsoft introduced "compatibility mode", which allows you to view a Web page with versions 4 and 5. Microsoft has full details online at http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q197/3/11.asp.
    [/excerpt]

I haven't tried it, but it's worth a look.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Windows IE4 and IE5 combination does work pretty well. It can be quite useful for designers...one less system or OS you would need to install if you want to cover some extra bases. Just keep in mind IE4 is in "compatibility mode"...it is not the full browser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it works on IE 5, it should work on IE 4, you would think. And it's not worth the risk of messing up your computer with versions like IE 2 and 3. Plus, there's web sites that check your site in a variety of browsers and versions (sorry, can't think of it right now, though). So, my opinion is that it's not worth the risk to have multiple versions of something installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I would have thought people would be more interested in this since many are always asking if it can be done... Funny, I guess not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is interesting, dominique. Dreamweaver has a browser compaitibility test thing.

I have hear of people owning two diffrent versions of IE without this compatability thing. I think if you download one and install one from a CD-Rom it might work...

I've always wanted to download IE6 Beta but never wanted to have it overwrite IE5 on my computer. Anyone know if the two browsers can coexist??
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Macromedia
    I've always wanted to download IE6 Beta but never wanted to have it overwrite IE5 on my computer. Anyone know if the two browsers can coexist??
    I have no idea. But there was a discussion here http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=19586 where some people mentioned that it's easy to uninstall IE6 if you don't like it and revert back to IE5.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Macromedia, but they won't 'coexist' Maybe in the final release.
    If you are worried about installing it...take the plunge, the uninstall worked perfectly and the browser itself doesn't seem buggy at all (yet) It really is noticeably faster than IE5.5 and Nutscrape 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by broken
    Sorry Macromedia, but they won't 'coexist' Maybe in the final release.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll consider installing it....
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE6 is noting much except for the personal bar which in my point of view, unnecessary and signs of bloatware, like MSN Explorer and Windows Media Player.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lynlimz
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="2" class="mfont">IE6 is noting much except for the personal bar which in my point of view, unnecessary and signs of bloatware, like MSN Explorer and Windows Media Player.</font>
    Yeah, really. Unless there is some ground-breaking, must-have feature in IE 6, which there apparently isn't, I am in no rush to get it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it and rmeoved it about 3 days after i installed it.

i'll stick with ie5.5
    make sure you downlaod 5.5 and zip it all all..haha
    i downlaoded all the components etc.

so when ie6.0 final is releaedand it sucks like this..i'll use ie5.5.
    needed some form of guarrentee.

i'll be ripping the language files later today
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein