User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

radio button - keep selected if error?

Hi,

I have a form with several fields, one being a radio box (IE. male | female). If there is an error upon submission, I figured out how to get all the input text boxes to throw back the inserted info for the user while spelling out the error message:
    PHP Code:
    First name:<input type="Text" name="first" value="<?php echo $first ?>">
    But I can't seem to figure out how to do the same for radio boxes! I want the user's selection to remain in the output if there is an error message. My current code is simply:
    PHP Code:
    <input type="radio" name="gender" value="male"Male | <input type="radio" name="gender" value="female"Female 
    And I tried using the same php echo command but that didn't seem to do it. Thanks for the help!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the "value" attribute of the radio button / checkbox has nothing to do with what field is actually checked.

You need to add checked="checked" to the relevant input field.

Code:
    <input type="radio" name="gender" value="male" checked="checked" /> Male
    You should use labels on your form elements (especially radio buttons / checkboxes) to make them easier to select. Give each field a unique id and put that in the labels "for" attribute.

Code:
    <input type="radio" id="MaleGenderRadioButton" name="gender" value="male" checked="checked" /> <label for="MaleGenderRadioButton">Male</label>

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Thanks for the info... however, since it's a male/female radio box, I'd rather have neither of them checked by default. Even so, how can I keep the users choice if the error message is returned? (IE. using the php echo command to fill in the text boxes so they don't lose their data)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Me again... I also notices that when an error message is displayed, I need to return the value selected by the user in a drop-drown menu. Any help regarding this is appreciated.

I'm currently using:
    Code:

First name:<input type="Text" name="first" value="<?php echo $first ?>">
    to return the entered text in a text box, but can't figure out how to keep the selected data in tact from a drop-down or radio button if an error message is returned.

Current code:
    Code:

<OPTION SELECTED>--choose--
    	<OPTION>Los Angeles
    	<OPTION>New York
    	<OPTION>Other
    	</SELECT>
    and
    Code:
    Specify:<input type="radio" id="MaleGenderRadioButton" name="gender" value="male" /> <label for="MaleGenderRadioButton">Male</label> | <input type="radio" id="FemaleGenderRadioButton" name="gender" value="female" /> <label for="FemaleGenderRadioButton">Female</label>
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this should work for you
    put this code anywhere above the radio buttons

first of all try to never use superglobals, IE $gender instead use the form's method $_POST['gender'] (or GET if you're using GET)

PHP Code:
    <?php
    $male_checked 
    = (isset($_POST['gender']) && $_POST['gender'] == 'male') ? 'checked' '';

$female_checked = (isset($_POST['gender']) && $_POST['gender'] == 'female') ? 'checked' '';
    ?>

HTML Code:
    <input type="radio" name="gender" value="male" <?=$male_checked?>> Male | <input type="radio" name="gender" value="female" <?=$female_checked?>> Female
    that should give you what you need...
    first page load no buttons will be selected... if the user selects one and there is an error it will re-load the page with the checked item selected.
    My-Bic - Easiest AJAX/PHP Framework Around
    Now Debug PHP scripts with Firebug!