Hi all,
I have installed Apache2 and MySql according to the online instructions in chapter one and they work as expected. I have also installed PHP and configured it to the requirements in the same chapter however this is where my problem starts. I have used the code:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

to check that PHP works but get the following error messages displayed in my browser:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\about.php on line 2

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\about.php on line 2

In attempting the first PHP example in chapter one I receive the same errors only the file name changes (of course) and the first error above is repeated twice. There is no backslash in either files or any out of the ordinary Strings so Im completely stumped.
I use the following to display the file in the browser:

http://localhost/today.php

and the file is stored in:

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\today.php

as shown in the errors above.

Any help in fixing or reconfiguring PHP will be most appreciated as Im totally new to web design, server management and databases.
Chrome

SYSTEM
Text Editor: WordPad, Notepad or gvim
IE: v6
Apache2: v2.0.52
MySql: v4.1.7
PHP: v5.0.2

P.S. I have searched and read many of the posts for the same problem and was unable to find any help so please post a reply.