SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: The good the bad or the ugly?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

1 33.33%
  • Bad where is ugly??

2 66.67%
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Hey all, please review this flash site.

http://www.JorgensonHobbies.com

Ok thought i should put the URL on top cause i may forget it and not give linky

Ok the site is mainly a Hobby site sells Paintball markers, CCG, RPG, and Photography & RC Planes/Trains/Boats/Cars/ products in the future

The site is not very graphicaly intense but thats the nice thing about Flash is it can grow, Bad thing is i do not have a preloader for the Site and it uses hardly any HTML ( going to have some google problems later ) , just basicly HTML file to load the SWF. Some things are buggy and the Music there is no mute button yet , Please let me know how i can improve the website besides the Music/Preloader. Please tell me what Res you use and Browser as this is untested in Opera & some others

The home page needs work i understand that and its also still in beta LET ME know if you FIND ANY BUGS

http://www.JorgensonHobbies.com
    Last edited by Grand; Nov 23, 2004 at 02:39.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO

All that flash will put everyone off going further. My broadband is fast and it still took a while to load. It's estimated a user is prepared to wait 6 seconds before they start to think about clicking the back button, in this time you should at least capture their attention with some html, css, etc.

Could you not use a flash nav bar and the rest html?

It also looks a little small in my browser, I know I have high resolution but must websites accomodate for this using <div> tags. Thats a major disadvantage. It only fills 1/4 of my screen!

IE 6 1280x960, Firefox 1 1280x960
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the text to small for you to read? did you have probelms viewing the pictures?

I understand the loading issue, however rather then have the site broken up I prefer to try to keep it to a one time load so the site responds more like a application rather then a typical website as it will become a catalog later on more or less.

Thank you for reviewing I will give some thoughts on how to decrease the loading.

Perhaps once the gif that you have attached is approved it will explain more to me.

Please keep the feedback coming everyone!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site takes over the browser, eliminating all options, including exiting.

Fix that first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just do it in html and CSS? I was put off by clicking and then having a white window open and stay there for several seconds. I did not having a clue if it was loading or not, would hit the X and that was that.
    [X] get HUGE! or die trying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto previous comments. I can't see anything there that would justify using flash.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys i'll make a option on the intro index for full screen, and so other settings so the user can select, on the loading part it does warn you that it will take a bit to load.. I will get a preloader sooner or later but because i use presentations this will be a challenge to find out how to make it correctly since everything is on timeframe 1,

The reason i use flash is the site would be a couple megs instead now its like 280k
    once the loading is done its very fast and the only other loading you need to do is on the cart also with alot of products to list flash makes it easy (at least for me) to do so. I was hopeing on more feedback on the add to cart and the graphics on the site more.

I will try to find a a solution to fix the res issue and add a exit button for the IE Users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've writing this review and your site won't load. It says it's loading and then never loads. #1 rule if you're selling products don't use flash. There's too big a chance something will screw up. Look at the big sites on the net ebay, amazon, walmart. None of them use flash as a main part of their ecommerce functionality.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the main, did you click the text for it to begin to load? o.O

I would use intraweb instead of flash but i cannot get it hosted