SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,
    I'm thinking about building a PHP/MySQL email/newsletter management system and I was wondering which features people would like to see?

I'm incorporating an ad management/targetting/click tracking system and various reports but was wondering if there was anything that anyone could think of with regards to cool features.

I don't know which publishing route to go down, Open Source or commercial but I will certainly give free copies to Sitepoint Forum members.

Input is appreciated folkses.

See ya,

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it catch dead mails?

For example, if the system sends bulk mail to 10,000 email addresses and a coupla thousand bounce, would it catch those mails and remove the email address from the list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of that. If I can work out a way to do it with PHP that doesn't put a huge load on the server, then Yes.

Possibly a "three strikes and you're out" type system would be better. If it bounces once, put the address on warning (as it may be the users email server rather than the address), twice and it gets a final warning and on the third time, it would be deleted.

Lemme work out a way to do that.

Anything else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Just put a function that cleans out the list for email addresses that were never validated, thats what I did with my script that was launched as BETA today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see where you are going with that but if an ISP closes or a user leaves their email address behind, there is still going to be a load of trampoline addresses that refuse incoming mail.

Unvalidated I can do, but it's the addresses that actually bounce after validation that are the problem.

Cheers